BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #23
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 08

TPMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by never View Post
TPMS stands for Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor and the Canadian 1-series don't have sensors inside of the tire that monitor pressure. As it has been stated elsewhere, our 1s have TPW - Tire Pressure Warning system where tire pressure changes are detected by rotational differences between the tires. But with the TPW system, you could put a 245/35 on one side and a 245/55 on the other side, both with equal pressure, and the warning light would be tripped (i.e., nothing with the system is reading tire pressure).

We are saying the same thing, just splitting hairs.

S = system or S = sensor

If you read it you will see that I am correct also. The important thing is that we have a better and simpler method than they have in USA. That is my opinion and others thing the same thing.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #24
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Consumer Reports did a study on nitrogen versus straight air and over a year the tires with nitrogen held 2.5 psi more pressure than regular air so it's up to you if you want to pay for nitrogen.

I check my tire pressure regularly and have a portable air pump so I don't worry about the tires being low.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #25
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

I have yet to check at Costco here in GTA if they will charge a small price, I know when you buy tires from them, they use NITROGEN at no extra cost. Again, if you get false warnings for your TPMS/TPW the NITROGEN might fix that. BTW, that info is from BRIDGESTONE, who make the tires!!!

EspressoBoy

PS
I am not saying everyone should go out and use NITROGEN. I just wanted to post what is said about it. These tires are $$$ and we want them to last. We also have TPMS/TPW and the last thing we want is false information and false readings. My thinking is anything that is reasonable that will fix that is worth knowing about.

In my opinion, anyone who gets a flat, or very low pressure and does not have access to nitrogen, use air. One can always change it back to nitrogen when they have it fixed, either with a new tire, or a repaired tire. And that is only for those who already had nitrogen. Again, this is a small issue, but still worth knowing about. People ask me all the time why the green caps... Now everyone knows I got Nitrogen. Too bad I can't suck on it and change my voice, now that would be cool. (that's a joke)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #26
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
I have yet to check at Costco here in GTA if they will charge a small price, I know when you buy tires from them, they use NITROGEN at no extra cost. Again, if you get false warnings for your TPMS/TPW the NITROGEN might fix that. BTW, that info is from BRIDGESTONE, who make the tires!!!

EspressoBoy
I can see how nitrogen might help with false readings when you have TPMS valves in your tires but how does it help with TPW that measures differences in rolling diameter/speed?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 09:44 AM   #27
never
driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: not a 135 anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
We are saying the same thing, just splitting hairs.

S = system or S = sensor

If you read it you will see that I am correct also. The important thing is that we have a better and simpler method than they have in USA. That is my opinion and others thing the same thing.

EspressoBoy
I was only responding to this part of your post as you appeared to be asking a question on how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy
If we do not have TPMS how is it inside the car we can see the tire pressure is "ok" then?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #28
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

never

yup got it.

Again, if we have a "system" we can check the pressure from a reading.
I actually meant it as a rhetorical question. Oh well... anyway, we are all on the same page here.

BTW is the BMW 1 Series the best damn car on the road? LOL just being a wise ass...

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #29
never
driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: not a 135 anymore

No problem...

I don't know if it's the best damn car on the road but I sure as hell like it!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #30
looking
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by never View Post
Okay, I'll rephrase...is there a market out there that need 215/40 and 245/35 18" RFT so all of us who bought our 1-ers can sell our tires to them next spring? :smile:
The only market/perosn dumb enough to buy them in bulk is BMW. I can't see why anyone would think RFT are better than the conventional tire. The "best" conventional performance tires are at least $150 cheaper and perform 100x better.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #31
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

It's not about performance. It's about not having to put in a spare tire. I don't know if they do this because of space, cost or both. But, like the rest of you, I don't like it either.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 01:51 PM   #32
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
It's not about performance. It's about not having to put in a spare tire. I don't know if they do this because of space, cost or both. But, like the rest of you, I don't like it either.
Yup I agree... But they are trying to make things easier for us...

once apon a time not too long ago, every car had carburettors

then EFI...
then ECU...

I am not saying they are better/worse or that they replace one another etc... just saying they, who ever they are, are trying to "imporve" things...

Another example is digital cameras. I remember my first, junk! It was only till they got up to 8meg pixels did film really say bye bye...

Kodak has said film is bye bye...

So who knows... nobody including me likes runflats as they are now... but if you are a person stuck on the side of a very busy highway, and you have 2 choices...

1. get out and change your tire and take a chance of getting run over
2. cry

I would cry. It all depends on where you are stuck right.

Well with runflats that is a thing of the past... well that is the idea anyway... we all know that yet we fight it?

I guess the smart thing for them would have been to give A CHOICE.

Then like all the other $$$$$ options we can choose runflats or non-runflats.

My guess they got a sweet deal and they probably actually paid less than regular tires forcing us all to stick with it. Much like ink printers for computers being sold for $20 or less knowing that the ink itself will be more than the printer!

That is my take.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #33
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Garage List
Runflats saved me when I had a puncture driving down Shaftesbury Avenue (by Piccadilly Circus) in London rush hour!

There would have been no way to stop & change a tire without causing a backup worthy of making the local evening news!

But conversely, being without a spare caused me no end of grief when I took a road trip from London to Barcelona.

About halfway there I got a puncture.

Now where in the middle of France, on a public holiday weekend, do I get a replacement Pirelli P Zero N3 295/30ZR18?

The can of tire foam I had was useless in this instance & a runflat would not have comfortably got me the 700+ km's I had to complete my trip nor would it have got me the 900 km's back home again.

In the end, I called for Roadside Assistance who towed me & my car to Barcelona where I had to wait a week for a tire to be delivered & rent a Renault Laguna to get me around.

Now if I only had a spare...

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #34
shiccobm
Neo
Rep
Drives: 2007 335I

well guys , all this info is really great but the question still remains , RFT are they worth the money or no. they are great , dependable but cost way too much ...... i fixed the tire and i checked the pressure again today and i did nt lost any pressure and the warning did not show up then , i am just hopping it will last me until my winter tires arive and in a month or 2 i will put on my winter tires and buy a new tire next year...so if it is fixable does that change the argument , IS IT WORTH IT( I DONT THINK SO )
      09-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #35
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

No, it's not worth it because it's performance and ride quality suffer and they are more expensive. They basically exist just to eliminate spares it seems.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #36
VFX
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmtoes View Post
No, it's not worth it because it's performance and ride quality suffer and they are more expensive. They basically exist just to eliminate spares it seems.
& no spare = PITA come puncture time!

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #37
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

What we need is a canister of spray foam that is pumped into the damaged tire...inflated...then hardens just enough to give the same effect of a RunFlat.

When you get to the repair shop, they soak it in some kind of liquid that melts the stuff...

Again we do not have to change the tire. The only downside to this the speed is limited and the ride is more rough. Hmmm

Till then RunFlats are what I have, and will live with.

As for not using them? The truth is I don't want the fuss. I really like the idea of not having to change to a donut or spare. I like the idea that I don't loose more space in the trunk. At the higher cost? I got the tire insurance that covers ANY tire I put on the car, regardless on who I buy it from, for 5 years. Do I regret it? Maybe a bit. Gill at tirerack sure has good deals.

I think much of a decision depends on this...

Type of driving
Where you drive
Did you already get tire insurance?
Do you mind having to carry a donut/spare tire/pump?

As for me, I even got RunFlat winters! Why? Because I already have paid for the Tire Insurance.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #38
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

shiccobm here are the options that I can gather...

If the patch lasts till winter remember this...

1. If you replace all the tires with non-runflats, you will now have to buy 4 tires, instead of 1 new runflat to replace the existing runflat. 4vs1
2. If you do get 4 new non-runflats you will have to either eat the cost of the 3, or go to the trouble of trying to sell the 1 year old 3 runflats.
3. If you replace the existing runflat with a new one, you will have 4 quite evenly worn tires (because you replaced the 1 damaged tire early).
4. You will still have the extra patched tire as a backup.

As for winters. If you order the extra runflat now, along with the winters, you won't pay much more for duty/taxes/shipping. If you have the time, and want to go for a weekend trip to USA, you can have them ship to a depot or even an installer there, and have them install there, and you drive back with your summers in the trunk/back seat. (get tire totes to keep the car clean) You will probably have spent something on food/hotel/gas etc but you won't be paying for shipping plus you could also buy some other stuff at a lower cost to off-set the cost of the trip.

5. If you buy winter tires with alloy rims for your 128 that are also 17" you would now have 2 sets, and basically have a backup to your alloy rims, in case they get damaged.

6. Another option is order 17" winter tires, put them on your 17" rims. If you really are going to get "better tires" then order 18" rims, along with your non-run-flat 18" tires. The only catch is you will have to swap rims.

In the end you will have;
- 3, one season used 17" run-flat tires (good).
- 1, one season used 17" run-flat tire (patched).
- 4, 17" winter tires now on your existing BMW rims
- 4, 18" new NON-run-flat summer tires on your new rims
- 4, 18" new rims of your choice.

This option is probably the most expensive, but you end up with the best option, having your 128 now with the full 18" summer tires like the 135i.

If you drive to the States, you can have them do all the work, and maybe included in the winter deal. Talk to Gill.

Anyway, hope that helps. As for finance, if you have a CC you can arrange to delay payment till you have all the $$$ if you are low on cash this month.

----

The disadvantage of investing in steel rims is you will have winter tires on steel that doesn't look anything as nice as alloy. Not every day in Winter is a yucky day. Lots of days where the sun is shining. Also no rust. Also you will have invested in steel, and hubcaps that probably you won't like in a few years anyway. Not to mention the hassles.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #39
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Supposed to be getting my 135i in a few days and I forgot to check in the showroom: does it have a spare donut in the trunk?

My 2003 330xi came with run flat tires but it also had a spare donut tire under the trunk liner just in case.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #40
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

No donut.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #41
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

warmtoes,

I assumed one can put 18" on their 128 with zero problems. That is correct right? I imagine anyone who changes any tire on the Canadian Version of the 128/135 they have to recalibrate the car for the INDIRECT TPMS/PTW. Hmmm on that note, I bet the car may not like a donut anyway. Can donuts damage a car even driven at say under 80 km/h?

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #42
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

You can put 18's on the 128 without an issue if they fall within the paramaters of the 18's approved for the 1 series. Everytime you put new wheels and tires on the 1 you need to recalibrate the TPW.

Donuts cannot damage the car during normal driving within the parameters listed on the donut itself. It's not like some of the old Quattro systems on Audi's that could have damage done if towed by the wheels or something like that.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #43
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
Canada
Rep

warmtoes,

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Do you work for BMW? Just wondering as you seem to know quite a lot.

EspressoBoy
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #44
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Nope, just love cars and have read a lot of posts on this forum.
Appreciate 0