BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

Confusion on custom tunes for us n54/n55 135i's

Coming from an acura RSX where hondata K-pro replaces the vehicles OEM ECU...

Are there replacement ECU's for the 135i?
If not, how would one go about getting a custom tune? Do you all even do custom tunes or always follow a map from jb4 piggyback?
Is there a reason no one replaces the ECU with something better aftermarket?

I only ask cause I'm more of a set it and forget it kinda guy. In the RSX world, piggybacks are frowned upon. You get so much more from a custom tune on a replaced ECU such as hondata's K-pro.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:01 PM   #2
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

I found this thread, but it is very old http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223680
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Hey, cool. Welcome fellow former Honda-phile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dub View Post
Coming from an acura RSX where hondata K-pro replaces the vehicles OEM ECU...

Are there replacement ECU's for the 135i?
No

Quote:
If not, how would one go about getting a custom tune? Do you all even do custom tunes or always follow a map from jb4 piggyback?
You can get a custom tune easily through the MHD flasher, or by using the Cobb AP and a custom e-tuner.

Quote:
Is there a reason no one replaces the ECU with something better aftermarket?
No need to replace the ECU, it's easily rewritable. Initial read/write takes ~1/2 hour, and each change after that less than 3 minutes. Also, these ECU blocks are pretty hugely expensive hardware. They control literally everything. In addition, more and more tables are being decoded virtually each week at this point (N54). They are working through the idle and knock tables now actually. It will lead to some very interesting changes for MT guys running lighter SMFWs and heavy duty clutches. Why replace the hardware when you can just rewrite the software in ~3 minutes?

Quote:
In the RSX world, piggybacks are frowned upon. You get so much more from a custom tune on a replaced ECU such as hondata's K-pro.
Honda piggies are not the same as the JB4. It's still a healthy bit of a reach, but I would almost consider the JB4 a secondary ECU at this point.
      07-22-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Check out Cobb. It sounds like it's exactly what you want. Essentially it's a flash-loader unit where you specify a tune based on what level of mods your car has.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:31 PM   #5
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

Thank you both for your input. Much obliged.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #6
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

It is worth noting that the N54 is much easier to re-flash tune than the N55 (post late-2011 builds). There are few true flash options for N55 that I am aware of, and even experienced tuners still have difficulty with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #7
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Thank you both for your input. Much obliged.
No problem. Let us know if you are looking for anything specific for your tune. Each one is for a different type of user.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #8
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
By the time the 135 hit the US, tuners had came a long way with N54 tuning. However, I was still waiting on a worthwhile N54 flash tune for a year plus after I bought my car late 2008. GAIC was getting great numbers out of a flashed track car they sponsored so I was waiting on that flash. Then meth became such a hot item that I broke down and bought a Procede and a meth system. Even with an LSD, I suddenly was traction challenged with the Procede so I decided to go ahead and have my car flashed. Lucky for me one of my local shops was able to do custom dyno flashes. They converted to using Cobb for those custom flashes not long after my flash. If you don't plan to go to E85 or meth, then I'd get a flash, Cobb seems to be the way to go.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #9
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
No problem. Let us know if you are looking for anything specific for your tune. Each one is for a different type of user.
Yes, I am looking to convert my N54 to single turbo but only want to run 93 octane or E85.
I never want to run meth. Is it best to get cobb (true custom tune) with Jb4 piggyback in this instance? I have read that people love that the cobb provides a true custom tune then they use jb4 on top of it but I haven't learned why this is yet.
I will admit that I am a set it and forget kind of person. I prefer to install the single turbo with all supporting modification, then have it custom tuned. I am not one to tinker with something unless it's broke. Any input?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
By the time the 135 hit the US, tuners had came a long way with N54 tuning. However, I was still waiting on a worthwhile N54 flash tune for a year plus after I bought my car late 2008. GAIC was getting great numbers out of a flashed track car they sponsored so I was waiting on that flash. Then meth became such a hot item that I broke down and bought a Procede and a meth system. Even with an LSD, I suddenly was traction challenged with the Procede so I decided to go ahead and have my car flashed. Lucky for me one of my local shops was able to do custom dyno flashes. They converted to using Cobb for those custom flashes not long after my flash. If you don't plan to go to E85 or meth, then I'd get a flash, Cobb seems to be the way to go.
Thank you for your input.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Yes, I am looking to convert my N54 to single turbo but only want to run 93 octane or E85.
I never want to run meth. Is it best to get cobb (true custom tune) with Jb4 piggyback in this instance?.
Cobb is at the end of it's product life on this platform. Best would be MHD, you can have a custom standalone flash done, or use the BMS Single Turbo backend flash in conjunction with a JB4. If you do the ST BEF, you'll obviously want to log heavily and have them (BMS or unofficial N54tech helper gnome) optimize it for you.
      07-26-2015, 09:16 PM   #11
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

seems like cobb is so much more simpler and the results are great.

welcome your screenname looks mighty familiar.
      07-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #12
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
I never want to run meth. Is it best to get cobb (true custom tune) with Jb4 piggyback in this instance? I have read that people love that the cobb provides a true custom tune then they use jb4 on top of it but I haven't learned why this is yet.
I will admit that I am a set it and forget kind of person. I prefer to install the single turbo with all supporting modification, then have it custom tuned. I am not one to tinker with something unless it's broke. Any input?

Thank you for your input.
People are dumping their cobb flashloaders at the moment because how expansive the aftermarket has gotten with "free" flash capability. So if you really want one, get it used then get a protune from a reliable shop that has that capability.

If you go single turbo I would suggest going with either a specially tuned MHD map, there are plenty of guys who can do it for cheap compared to shops (user SPxxx comes to mind but I am not sure if that's his account on n54tech or here)
or get a custom backend flash, which is also easily possible. I am not personally going that route so I have not done the research to know the ins and outs of the backend flash with a single turbo so someone else will have to chime in for me but if you are interested, here's a good thread on going backend flash: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1143880
Appreciate 1