01-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #1
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Renntech ECU tune for the 1///M

Didn't see anyone mentioning this before (sorry if repost). Renntech now offers a tune for the 1///M. Dynoed at their place (stock just so I get a baseline), great guys, met the owner (and one of the resident ECU tuners), top notch place.

Not sure if anyone is running it and can comment on it.

http://www.renntechmercedes.com/www/node/630
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Haha so your the 1M Lenny was talking about, I think, did you ever get the RT tune on the 1M ?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Max torque achieved at 4300 rpm! That's the highest I have heard of till now, need to see full charts.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Haha so your the 1M Lenny was talking about, I think, did you ever get the RT tune on the 1M ?
Indeed I am the '1', fellow RT Brother Not only did I get the Lenny/RT magic, you are running it's latest version after Lenn-ster regiggled it further after the initial version. I believe he incorporated a lot of goodies in the latest version, including copying the MDM/TC logic which should be on your and his 335i.

Love your avatar, impressive times with the tune! Am curious myself what I'll put down, seems only difference IIRC is you have FMIC and a DCT car (Dinan end cans, right)? Would be stoked if I can get a 12 sec flat. Hartmut himself may actually do a couple of pulls for me, Lenny thinks we may even crack the 11s if the conditions are right and launch is proper. I'm not sure there is a 1M with solely a tune that has cracked the 12sec mark. Will let you know next time I hit the drags and we should def meet up regardless!

Needless to say, car is a beast. To me, one of best, if not the best, tune out there. One of several reasons I returned COBB with no hesitation...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Max torque achieved at 4300 rpm! That's the highest I have heard of till now, need to see full charts.
It's a bit below actually, but peak HP is at a much higher RPM level than stock. In fact, had I had a FMIC it would just keep on reeling in the RPMs almost a la NA car (dynos were all done in Southern FL in several muggy humid 85F+ days which sadly has a big impact on our engines). It's pretty amazing, one of the features I love the most (the extended power gains across a higher RPM band that is).

I promise I will post my results soon, I know I have been saying that for a while, but will get to it, including the Cobb vs. Renntech graph, done same day, on same car, on same dyno, on same gas tank, same strapping method, same operator, same tires, etc... Can't get any more apples to apples, and the results speak for themselves.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Indeed I am the '1', fellow RT Brother Not only did I get the Lenny/RT magic, you are running it's latest version after Lenn-ster regiggled it further after the initial version. I believe he incorporated a lot of goodies in the latest version, including copying the MDM/TC logic which should be on your and his 335i.

Love your avatar, impressive times with the tune! Am curious myself what I'll put down, seems only difference IIRC is you have FMIC and a DCT car (Dinan end cans, right)? Would be stoked if I can get a 12 sec flat. Hartmut himself may actually do a couple of pulls for me, Lenny thinks we may even crack the 11s if the conditions are right and launch is proper. I'm not sure there is a 1M with solely a tune that has cracked the 12sec mark. Will let you know next time I hit the drags and we should def meet up regardless!

Needless to say, car is a beast. To me, one of best, if not the best, tune out there. One of several reasons I returned COBB with no hesitation...
It's a bit below actually, but peak HP is at a much higher RPM level than stock. In fact, had I had a FMIC it would just keep on reeling in the RPMs almost a la NA car (dynos were all done in Southern FL in several muggy humid 85F+ days which sadly has a big impact on our engines). It's pretty amazing, one of the features I love the most (the extended power gains across a higher RPM band that is).

I promise I will post my results soon, I know I have been saying that for a while, but will get to it, including the Cobb vs. Renntech graph, done same day, on same car, on same dyno, on same gas tank, same strapping method, same operator, same tires, etc... Can't get any more apples to apples, and the results speak for themselves.
Awesome, Lenny showed me your dyno and I was saying to myself wtf, why havent we hooked up at track events yet ? LMAO !

I am googling away trying to find more enquiry posts on RENNtech and BWM and here I find you....amazing !

That 12.00 ET flat I did was on mere Dinan FMIC and Dinan free flow exhaust and had same day installed the aFe Stage 2 sealed intake and was doing back to back 12.0 ET runs. It was roughly 74° that day, if any colder I would for sure break 11s

On the May 6th PBIR private event I was consistent 12.2 in 90° temps traping 114...hahah....I thought the car was going to bog down but it ran 35 runs with no trouble codes all day long.

DPs are going on the next week and I will be FBO. This Friday I am heading to Japtrix for another dyno run for the upgraded aFe Stage 2 "elite" intake.

When DPs are installed I will be out again to PBIR to test run after adaptations. Hoefully by then we can hook up.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
One of several reasons I returned COBB with no hesitation...

How are you going to compare them if you sold the Cobb unit? I am not familiar with the 1M maps, but Stage 2+FMIC is a very potent map especially for being an off the shelf map.

There is no question that the Renntech tune will show far greater gains than the off the shelf Stage 1 map as Renntech is a custom tune tailored to your car though. If you had the supporting mods, I don't think you'll find much difference between that and the Stage 2+ map though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
That 12.00 ET flat I did was on mere Dinan FMIC and Dinan free flow exhaust and had same day installed the aFe Stage 2 sealed intake and was doing back to back 12.0 ET runs.
Were these runs achieved on stock runflat tires?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 05:33 PM   #7
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post

Were these runs achieved on stock runflat tires?
Nitto NT555 235/35/19 front, 275/30/19 rear
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
How are you going to compare them if you sold the Cobb unit? I am not familiar with the 1M maps, but Stage 2+FMIC is a very potent map especially for being an off the shelf map.

There is no question that the Renntech tune will show far greater gains than the off the shelf Stage 1 map as Renntech is a custom tune tailored to your car though. If you had the supporting mods, I don't think you'll find much difference between that and the Stage 2+ map though...
Comparo has been long done, when I had the Cobb tune. I have data (and delta) of the car stock, with exhaust, with Cobb, with Renntech - the latter 3 all done on the same day so was a true apples to apples comparo.

In fact I wasn't really considering the Renntech offering until I went to their (very impressive!) facility to get a baseline dyno for the car, and the Cobb tune delta. I was already unhappy with the Cobb tune and the dyno results proved my comments and reservations both graphically and numerically. Renntech at the time had an early Beta themselves, and offered me the Pepsi challenge, so I took it. Even that early Beta was better in just about every way to the tune I had, and their subsequent version (and final Stage I) nailed the several small comments I raised.

And BTW, I was running a custom map Cobb had sent me after many hours of data logging, which I in turn sent them prior. But indeed, Renntech spent the extra time developing their own Beta, when the other tuner at the time did not, and hence the results were not even close.

I should note this was an early stage Cobb Beta, and for a long while they didn't have a shop car so virtually what they had rolled around Chritsmas time saw no development for months. It soulds like lately they have devoted R&D time and improved it, which is great to hear, and frankly something you would expect from a company of their stature.

Once I slap a FMIC, and perhaps catted DPs I'll go for Stage II.
Appreciate 0