BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #1
3VOM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i vert

Angel Eyes part Deux

Ok...so I had installed and had working my BMS 4 LED lights for about a week. Worked just fine...3 days ago I get the light malfunction warning light on the dash. Well I go and look and it's the AEs...both sides at once. Long story short....I tried to tinker with it and ended up losing my "B" clip. Had to go into the dealership....they conclude the BMS had failed and installed my OEM bulbs and found and fixed the "B" clip. Now $140 lighter and with stock AEs...I don't know if it's worth trying to do this again. So here is my question...on the 2012 e92 the AE are white and bright...are these the same bulb size as the e88/82? If they are can they be bought through BMW? I've tried and can't seem to find anything on this. I may just go with a regular H8? Bulb in a hyper white.

Also...I don't know if I totally can trust or agree with the techs that the BMS LEDs are shot...if anyone wants them to test or tinker with shoot me a PM. Pay for shipping and they are yours.

J
      08-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
tranism
Care Bears vs Klingons
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

Unfortunately no they cannot. The latest E92 uses an entirely different headlight design within the halo rings. It's not just a simple bulb replacement. Your only options are to:
  • Replace OEM with 5000K-6500K bulbs to get white.
  • LUX Angel eyes instead of BMS
  • Convert your halo rings to BavarianX LS3. Bright white and the halo is incredibly sharp, like TRON sharp. I plan to do this myself someday.
  • Or coding - I've heard there's an option to recode so the bulbs appear much bright, although this shortens their life - you basically keep OEM bulbs and they're only $12-14 to replace if you buy them anywhere but the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
3VOM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranism View Post
Unfortunately no they cannot. The latest E92 uses an entirely different headlight design within the halo rings. It's not just a simple bulb replacement. Your only options are to:
  • Convert your halo rings to BavarianX LS3. Bright white and the halo is incredibly sharp, like TRON sharp. I plan to do this myself someday.
  • Or coding - I've heard there's an option to recode so the bulbs appear much bright, although this shortens their life - you basically keep OEM bulbs and they're only $12-14 to replace if you buy them anywhere but the dealer.
Thanks! Good info. Too bad that the E92 option is a no go. I'm gonna check the Bavarian X option. If I just change bulbs to a 6500k bulb will there be any errors?

J
      08-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #4
tranism
Care Bears vs Klingons
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3VOM View Post
Thanks! Good info. Too bad that the E92 option is a no go. I'm gonna check the Bavarian X option. If I just change bulbs to a 6500k bulb will there be any errors?

J
No errors when just changing bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #5
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Quote:
Unfortunately no they cannot. The latest E92 uses an entirely different headlight design within the halo rings. It's not just a simple bulb replacement.
Finally found an answer, I was wondering this as well. You're sure, right? Because all the new Bimmers have awesome AEs now that stand out in the day time... None of them can be retrofitted to e82?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #6
MLSavage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i AW 6MT

Quote:
With the bold option, ie putting brighter bulbs in will only work for the daytime lights and the CPU will dim the AE's as soon as you turn on your headlights.

This option [replacing OEM H8 bulbs with bright H8 bulbs] plus coding the dimming out would probably be the best option. Has anyone done this?

Note: The BavarianX LS3 isn't compatible with E82 or E88

Last edited by MLSavage; 04-02-2013 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
tranism
Care Bears vs Klingons
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSavage
Quote:
With the bold option, ie putting brighter bulbs in will only work for the daytime lights and the CPU will dim the AE's as soon as you turn on your headlights.

This option [replacing OEM H8 bulbs with bright H8 bulbs] plus coding the dimming out would probably be the best option. Has anyone done this?

Note: The BavarianX LS3 isn't compatible with E82 or E88
Yes it is. They have a modified version of it for the E82. You have to contact them directly. They quoted me $700 for the rings and install.
Appreciate 0