BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #1
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Dealer to Update Software?

I took my 2009 135i in for the second maintenance interval. The dealer suggested there was a software "recall" that required an update. When questioned, he said it was for cold start fuel efficiency. I have never had an issue with the hpfp or anything else for that matter. Does anyone know what this update is for, and whether I can expect a change in performance?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Do NOT do it!!!!!!!!!!! Search for "SW update".

Here are some links...

Car feeling weird after first service??? Is it me??

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594712

Recall 2011 n55. May (make sure you read the LAST page and what happened to: doublevanosrc - car after the SW update/recall...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ght=n55+update
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
11s are different.

I have the latest update and I didn't notice anything different. It's a cold start fuel pressure update mostly. It's a service action, so it will have to be done at some point...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
11s are different.

I have the latest update and I didn't notice anything different. It's a cold start fuel pressure update mostly. It's a service action, so it will have to be done at some point...

That is what this 1addicts member thought too. Now he is gonna have to pay to get a PPK SW tune to fix the SW update he got!

READ...

Car feeling weird after first service??? Is it me??

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594712
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
Turbolader
The Fat Stig
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

After my HPFP + SW Update on my n54, I've come to the conclusion that at least with this BMW, if it ain't broke, don't sw-update it.

I was so mad after the sw update I called BMWNA and asked for my 20hp back that they took from me. Also, the incessant priming is going to prematurely kill the lpfp, albeit when it's out of warranty, so the onus will instead be on me to fix.

If I were in your shoes, I would make it quite clear to your SA that under no circumstances will they run a sw update on your car. If your SA cannot guarantee that to you, then go to a dealer that will.

I understand that this is only for n54's as it seems that the sw update for n55's is actually beneficial.
      10-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

The thing is... with BMW new "SW update" is that not only does it de-tune our N54/N55's... but it also has some new anti-tuning sw in its code. Some of the piggy tunes aren't as effective post SW update.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep

Thanks for the insight guys. Seems like there were some mixed results reading through the links you provided. Some of the more recent posts even indicate that the latest SW push helped restore the car's original grunt. I'm cautiously optimistic, but will throw a fit if I feel the slightest loss of power.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The thing is... with BMW new "SW update" is that not only does it de-tune our N54/N55's... but it also has some new anti-tuning sw in its code. Some of the piggy tunes aren't as effective post SW update.
Mine has always made the same power regardless of which BMW update went in it. I have done multiple dynos over the last couple years. Cars do need to adapt, and as far as piggys making less power, they need to update their maps and that's usually fixed. I know many people that have done various updates along the way personally and none of them have complained either. From stock, tune/piggyback only to FBO. The detune/power loss is all bs generated online by people, the majority of which don't even own a car relevant to the forum they post their slanderous comments in.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Thanks for the insight guys. Seems like there were some mixed results reading through the links you provided. Some of the more recent posts even indicate that the latest SW push helped restore the car's original grunt. I'm cautiously optimistic, but will throw a fit if I feel the slightest loss of power.
Let us know what happens if you do go through with the SW update.

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
Pablito1702
Pablo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Listen to Dackelone, don't do it! Once they update the software it doesn't matter how unhappy you are...it's too late. I declined the SW update and there was no problem. Every time I go in for service I make the service advisor put in bold "No Software Updates!!!"
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

I never noticed a sw update causing any problems with the car. Does anyone know(have a dyno chart) whether the car produces less power after the update.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:49 PM   #12
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep

So I got the car back today. Among other things, they performed the standard scope and programmed the control unit in accordance with SIB 13 09 10. They also replaced the HPFP (w/part # 13-51-7-616-446) and the ASA-Bolt (part # 13-53-7-582-770) under SIB B13 13 10. The HPFP replacement was not expected.

Leaving the dealership, it was raining pretty hard. If i put my foot into it, the back tires were easily breaking loose in 2nd and 3rd gear (good sign). In traffic (driving between 1200 - 1800 rmps) the car felt like it was laboring a bit until the boost level increased. This was only during partial throttle input, and I seem to recall this happening before in heavy rain. There was almost no hesitation with full throttle input. I couldn't tell if there was a change in the turbo/engine noise as it was masked by the heavy rain.

Leaving the office, the rain had stopped and the temperature was about 10 degrees cooler, but the roads were still wet. First thing I noticed was the sound at start up... Much quieter! The 30-60 seconds of loud exhaust note i am so accustom to was missing. I even looked under the car to see if they reinstalled the resonator which was removed when I installed the BMW PE.
I also noticed that the volume was lower when driving. I still get the burbles, but not as loud as before. It seriously sounds like a PE without the resonator delete. As far as driving impressions, the engine feels smooth. It pulls great at WOT, the throttle response is good, but something is a bit different. I would describe it as though the car wants you to be deliberate with your request. If you want to go, give it the full peddle and it will go. If you drive like a hairdresser, it is happy to act like its little brother the 128 (which is probably best for most drivers here in S. Florida). I also understand that the ECU has to learn the driver, so some of this may be the car getting use to the whip. So I guess the jury is still out. I will post an update in a week after the car and I have had a chance to reacquaint ourselves.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #13
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactorX81 View Post
I never noticed a sw update causing any problems with the car. Does anyone know(have a dyno chart) whether the car produces less power after the update.
I don't think it's an issue with total HP or torque. It may be an issue with how it's delivered. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I think you should drive a few hundred more miles and then report back. But... it sounds like you have the dreaded "lag" that comes with BMW's new SW update. Do you feel that you have to press down on the gas pedal more to get the same power/urge/accell ? That is how I would best describe the "lag". Also... do you feel that the exhaust is louder while cruising at 45 to 60 mph - that is what I also noticed.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 06:00 PM   #15
ken1137
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW S1000XR

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [6.40]
Thx for the update...looking forward to hearing back in a few weeks

BMWCCA member
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 06:11 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactorX81 View Post
What I have felt and what others have noticed too - was less throttle response, more turbo lag when going from part throttle to WOT, or even part throttle to half throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw135er View Post
Mine has always made the same power regardless of which BMW update went in it. I have done multiple dynos over the last couple years. Cars do need to adapt, and as far as piggys making less power, they need to update their maps and that's usually fixed. I know many people that have done various updates along the way personally and none of them have complained either. From stock, tune/piggyback only to FBO. The detune/power loss is all bs generated online by people, the majority of which don't even own a car relevant to the forum they post their slanderous comments in.
I was referring to the JB+, that does not work on N55's that have had a SW update done. There was a thread about this a while back. I think this is why the JB+ is not being sold.

As far as less power... to me it felt like 20 or 30 Hp. But I would say that was on the top end. Low end power was about the same, just that the SW update killed my N54's throttle response. Before my update the car just ripped at part throttle inputs (1/4 to 1/2 throttle) after the SW update... I needed to press down atleast half way down inorder to get the same performance out of the car.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #17
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep

A brief update of my impressions of the new software after a few days of daily driving. As a point of reference, the weather has been a little erratic this week (i.e. Humid, dry, hi around 85 degrees, low around 60) which has given me a good cross section of fall time conditions in S.FL. In addition, prior to this update, I had the original software that came from the factory (build date 9/2009). I think I was lucky to skip the 2010 software patch intended to compensate for the HPFP issues. So here's my thoughts... From a cold start, the car seems to run a bit smoother and quiets down in less than 15 seconds. Torque/boost seems a bit down at low rpms. It seems as though the boost comes in strong around 2500 rpms, whereas it was more linear with the previous software. This is most notable in 1st gear and all other gears after cruising below 2000 rpms for an extended period. When keeping the revs above this threshold, the car is easily as strong as before. I think it's just a matter of getting use to the power delivery and throttle response. For example, whereas when previously going through tight off-camber roundabouts, a bit of foot control was required to avoid power oversteering. Now, a strong drift is still possible but it takes significantly more input. This is not necessarily a bad thing, just different. So all-in-all, I wouldn't call it worse or better. Just different.
Appreciate 0