BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-25-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
msos
always been a BMW fan.........
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Porsche 997

Question Hoosier R6 for HPDE?

Currently ran with Toyo R888's and was not overly impressed, considering they are supposed to be so much better than street tires (as I know some folks run even RFT's from this site at HPDE events). Now after only about 8 hours of track time- I corded my fronts at local track PBIR known for tough conditions on cars Left Front.......

Also worth noting is that my 1st 2 hours of track time was with 100% stock suspension, last 6 hours with modified front suspension M3 parts-sway bars, wishbones & vorshlag-camber plates which were installed after my first outing.

Most of the people I know at my level at the track appear to favor Hoosiers, and believe they are the BEST all round track tire to consider once you have your cars track charecteristics figured out? I live close to my local tracks and in FL conditions are typically dry so I am not overly concerned about having wet traction with an almost slick tire.

So my questions are as follows:
On stock rim sizes 7.5" fronts & 8.5" rears what would be the widest Hoosiers I can run?

Lastly as my rear ToyoR 888's are still in good shape would it be bad to keep them and run them out and change just my fronts to Hoosiers?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by msos View Post
Most of the people I know at my level at the track appear to favor Hoosiers, and believe they are the BEST all round track tire to consider once you have your cars track charecteristics figured out? I live close to my local tracks and in FL conditions are typically dry so I am not overly concerned about having wet traction with an almost slick tire.

So my questions are as follows:
On stock rim sizes 7.5" fronts & 8.5" rears what would be the widest Hoosiers I can run?

Lastly as my rear ToyoR 888's are still in good shape would it be bad to keep them and run them out and change just my fronts to Hoosiers?
I think you will like the Hoosiers. Also, the BFG R1 is a great tire in the same price range. Both can be found used on several sites such as nasaforums.com for a steal. I picked up a set of R1s with two heat cycles for $300 shipped. Ran them for 4 HPDE weekends with no issues at all. I would NOT recommend pairing Hoosiers with R888s. There is enough differences in grip that you are asking for some real problems. Stick the R888s up for sale and put the cash towards the Hoosiers or R1s. The Hoosiers run wide so I would think a 225F 245R on stock wheels would work best.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

I dont have an experience with hoosiers but have heard that they are the best track tires period. I chose BFG R1s instead mainly because they last longer. R1s are great tires but may try hoosiers next time. Anyone can tell us how many track days can we expect from heat cycled brand new set of hoosiers on 135i?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
LA-Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 335i

Going to be hard to predict on the wear of the R6s. So many variables (track quality, condition, and layout; how good a driver; care and rotation; how well you dial in appropriate pressure, etc., etc.) At my last event, a 335 owner trashed a set of new R6s in less than a single weekend. He corded the outer edge of both passenger side tires on his 5th 20 minute session. It was not the tire's fault. I would agree that the R1s tend to wear somewhat better
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

if you already have camber plates, and you're willing to get r-compounds, then why not switch to a new wheel setup? A good Hoosier setup is 245/35/18 on 18x8.5" front/rear. You just need negative camber up front to make that fit.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
^ same offset front and back? Do you have anything in your line up that can do the trick?