BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2009, 05:36 AM   #45
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Wow did not realise so many with this problem me included!

I use the button to wind up all my windows, the passenger window after fully closing will then wind down about 1/3. I use the single button again and all is fine. It is happening 9 out of 10 times.

Question: I have an engine ECU tune, would updating the software to 'fix' this problem get rid of my tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #46
niuzai
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e81 3dr

mine too
roll it up but it will stop 1/2 way and aoll back down itself....it happens quite offten now....cant think of a solution too
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #47
Berduderunner
drk one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
same problem here (for about a year now)

I brought the 1 in a while back to get that taken care of, but it was only fixed for a week or so
BMS JB3 v2.0 | BMS DCI | Berk Tech Sport Exhaust | UR * DPs | CoolingMist Meth Kit w/ CMGS | H&R OE Sport Springs | Breyton GTS-R | Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs | GP Thunder 8000K Low Beams/Angel Eyes/Cornering Lights | LED Interior Light Kit | Window Tint | Smoked Tail Lights | Smoked License Plate Cover
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #48
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135 Vert

Guys, it is time we all call our BMW dealerships and have them get the Engineering or whatever dept inviolved at BMW....I called the 800 number and they said there is nothing they can do, that we need to call our dealers and have them call to get the engineers involved. I had the new software, that did not fix it. Some have had a new motor, that did not fix it. Between this and the dash indentation, and the Soft paint., I am not real happy with BMW...but I do love the 135 Vert.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #49
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

UPDATE AND POSSIBLE FIX FOR THIS ISSUE

alright guys, i will tell you my problems with this window. i have been having problems about it going back down after rolling it up. so i am parking in a lot, and my window wont go up, it just goes down about 15 times, so i drive it over to the dealership. then in the dealership parking lot the window stops working all together. so i leave my car at the dealership that morning. i later get a call, and say that it is probably an electronic glitch, and they need to reprogram the car, so my car spent the night at the dealership. my SA ordered another window motor just in case. they ended up installing the window motor and reprogramming the car, and since then i have not had this problem
      09-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #50
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep

SOme have had the software, no fix. SOme have had to new motor. No fix....You are saying to get both?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 11:04 PM   #51
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

i got both, and have no problems so far
      09-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #52
JiveTurkey
JiveTurkey
Turkmenistan
Rep
Drives: BMW 135I SGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shodanusmc View Post
SOme have had the software, no fix. SOme have had to new motor. No fix....You are saying to get both?
With both new software and a new motor I've been glitch free. So yes would be my answer.
Every model the Bavarian brand produces is an engineering masterwork, manna for driving enthusiast, an internal-combustion mallet for pummeling comparison-test rivals into humiliated awe - Arthur St. Antoine
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 03:39 PM   #53
JMH1983
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black 135i AT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey View Post
With both new software and a new motor I've been glitch free. So yes would be my answer.
I love ti how this bug only ever happens when a) i leave something valuable on the passenger seat, or b) it is raining.

So far i have walked outside to see my Boston leather completely saturated after watching the window go up (and not being smart enough to wait till it went up) and another time to see my ipoud touch sitting on the passenger seat along with an expensive pair of sunnies.

I have learnt my lesson however and now check that the car is always locked, and windows always up for at least 5 seconds before i leave.

I have my car in getting serviced at the moment, i might get them to look into replacing the motor since they are hoping to do a full software update on the car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #54
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep

Let us know how it turns out. There must be a BMW gremlin that is a standard feature on these 1's. I had thr software upgrade, lasted for about 2 weeks. Then again, it takes my mind off the dash indentation.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 03:38 AM   #55
JMH1983
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Black 135i AT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shodanusmc View Post
Let us know how it turns out. There must be a BMW gremlin that is a standard feature on these 1's. I had thr software upgrade, lasted for about 2 weeks. Then again, it takes my mind off the dash indentation.
which dash indentation ? i havent seen my car in almost a week and a half, but i can't remember seeing anything out of place on my car. Has anyone got a picture of it ? hmm maybe i'll look for a thread on it and stop being lazy
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 07:16 AM   #56
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

QUOTE:
"We got out of the car and closed the doors and walked away and it went down sometime after that. I had $800 worth of portible electronics settng in the car with the window half down........."

QUOTE:
"So far i have walked outside to see my Boston leather completely saturated after watching the window go up (and not being smart enough to wait till it went up) and another time to see my ipoud touch sitting on the passenger seat along with an expensive pair of sunnies."

It's just a bad idea to leave valuables inside the car, where people can see them.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #57
shodanusmc
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH1983 View Post
which dash indentation ? i havent seen my car in almost a week and a half, but i can't remember seeing anything out of place on my car. Has anyone got a picture of it ? hmm maybe i'll look for a thread on it and stop being lazy

There are pelenty of pictures of it!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #58
Hind
///Mmmm
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 BMW 135i

Garage List
I got my car in august, and my passenger door is doing this maybe once a week now. Going up halfway and then back down. Germans have good ideas, please leave the electronics to the Japanese!
PDC Flickr YouTube
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 04:02 AM   #59
hoss
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Saw this myself earlier this week on my 10 day old 135i. Happened twice when my girl and I went to go get a burger. I ended rolling it up without the auto-up feature on the switch. Good to know it wasn't just my car and there is a potential fix.

Current: 1963 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia 1500 (Type 343) | 1957 Volkswagen Single Cab
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 12:27 AM   #60
Boberino33
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i SGM

My drivers side window did this approximately 1 month after my car was delivered (European Delivery). It worked fine when the car was moving or if the throttle was open, but if I was in a parking spot, it would come about half way up then drop down again.

I took it to the dealer on my first service interval finally and they said it was a motor issue. The stock motors have a capacitor problem in that at idle, the motor does not get the full 14.4 volts it needs to function properly and thus the software program does not run the window properly. It isn't a problem when the engine and thus the alternator is turning which is why it worked when moving.

Either way, the motor was replaced about 6 weeks ago and now works fine. No other issues with taking the door apart either which I was worried about. I suggest getting the motor replaced as it seems to work not only in my case but in others as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 11:47 PM   #61
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Just had this problem "resolved".....'software' reinstall. Why do I have this nagging feeling it's going to happen again.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #62
VisualCSharp
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 6AT

Sorry to necrobump this thread but I just had this problem happen to me last night. I was lucky and noticed the driver-side window down so I was able to roll that one up but the passenger-side window was *also* down and I didn't notice it. This morning I got up to see that rain had gotten in on that side. Want to see what it did to the leatherette armrest?

EDIT: Found out that since both windows were down it was probably due to me pressing and holding the unlock button accidentally. For all those who don't know about that "feature": beware! BMW of Austin referred me to Devine Color to get the armrest refinished.

Last edited by VisualCSharp; 02-08-2010 at 10:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #63
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

My car is in the dealership now for this same problem. Not a good thing to happen here in Seattle...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #64
mleskovar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleskovar View Post
Just had this problem "resolved".....'software' reinstall. Why do I have this nagging feeling it's going to happen again.

Yup, happened again. This time they replaced the window motor. They admitted that window failures are common for BMW. Oh boy. With the window doing the little "dance" every time the door is opened/closed I can see why.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #65
hansenc
1addict, and proud
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
My car had the drivers side window motor replaced yesterday. I get the car back tomorrow. hopefully it doesnt happen again
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #66
ULTM135
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 12 535i

HAHAHA, Ok guys, I saw this thread and I was like...dude...I thooght I was the only one that had this problem. Actually, I still have this problem and I just live with it because I do know HOW TO get my window to work again. All it needs is a quick adjustment.

Our cars or any BMW with the frameless window does down about 1/4 inch when you open the door, and goes back up when you close the door. The problem is that, overtime, the "gap" that the window goes down when you open the door gets smaller and smaller, and eventually there is very minimal gap. (I do not know how to eliminate this "reduced gap" from happening, maybe BMW engineers can fix this). This is when the problem happens, the window is at the maximum position. And if you try to close the window, it will bounces back because it hits the limit.

Now, all you need to do is...roll down your window with the one-touch function, and once the window stops, you will see that the window is not fully in the door (a small amount of window left, this happens only when you have the "window bounce back problem"). Now push the window in with your fingers and roll up your window back up with the one touch function...and wala...you just re-set the window minimum position and the problem went away.

I have this happen many times. I now just prevent the problem from happening (when I notice the "1/4 gap" gets smaller) by doing a fully opening/closing window cycle. You don't need to push the window in with your fingers, only needed when you encounter the "window bounce back problem". Works everytime... I think some people never experience this problem because they fully open their window at least once a day. And as soon as you do this, it re-sets the window position. Personnally, I hardly open my window at all, that's why I have to do the reset from time to time.
Appreciate 0