BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-11-2017, 04:34 PM   #1
blurleaf
Rep
Drives: e82

Noise coming from the gearbox? help...

Greetings 1er gurus, I seek your wisdom.

My apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section, please move it accordingly.

I have a 2012 128i 6 speed manual. So recently I noticed my car started emitting clicking/tapping noises when the clutch is engaged and the car is in neutral. This noise will start happening when the car is fully warmed up. When the car is not warmed up, there is no noise. The noise goes away the moment i disengage the clutch. The noise is noticeable and is driving me crazy... imaging sitting at a stop light and hearing a rapid "tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap..." Has anyone experienced this?

The other day I brought my car to the dealer to get it checked out. They were able to confirm the noise but concluded that this is a "characteristic behaviour" of the GetRag gearbox. I don’t know anything about gearboxes or transmissions, so I want to ask is this true? Is it normal for the gearbox to produce such noises? If this is truly an issue I want to get it fixed ASAP as my warranty is about to expire. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks 1er gurus!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Eins Suchtig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 SGM 128i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurleaf View Post

My apologies in advance if this is in the wrong section, please move it accordingly.

I have a 2012 128i 6 speed manual. So recently I noticed my car started emitting clicking/tapping noises when the clutch is engaged and the car is in neutral. This noise will start happening when the car is fully warmed up. When the car is not warmed up, there is no noise. The noise goes away the moment i disengage the clutch. The noise is noticeable and is driving me crazy... imaging sitting at a stop light and hearing a rapid "tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap..." Has anyone experienced this?

The other day I brought my car to the dealer to get it checked out. They were able to confirm the noise but concluded that this is a "characteristic behaviour" of the GetRag gearbox. I don’t know anything about gearboxes or transmissions, so I want to ask is this true? Is it normal for the gearbox to produce such noises? If this is truly an issue I want to get it fixed ASAP as my warranty is about to expire. Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks 1er gurus!
Not normal...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 05:54 PM   #3
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:

Thanks 1er gurus!
The first thing I would check is the clutch. I know this may not be the ideal advice, however my little Corolla has the exact same issue. When it's cold she's pretty quiet. However once all the juices get flowing my clutch is extremely noisy when the tranny is in neutral and I am not pushing the pedal. I know for sure it's the clutch because as soon as I depress it, it's completely quiet.

If it was the actual tranny, you would hear the noise constantly or in a specific gear only.

If it's indeed the clutch, it's not a terrible issue, however it's the first place I'd start to look in your case.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 06:20 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

So I take it your car is out of warranty?

So it makes noise when warmed up, when you have your foot is OFF the clutch but the shifter in neutral?

So when the engine is running and you step DOWN on the clutch this sound goes away ?

The dual mass flywheels will make some noise in neutral. Also you can hear the two parts of the DMFW make some noises as you switch off the engine and as the revs stop. This is why I always depress the clutch(down) until the engine stops rotating. Just bc I don't like that noise. These DMFW rattling noise ARE completely normal. They kind of sound like some marbles in a metal coffee can - whirling around.

Seems to me that changing your transmission fluid might help. It just might quiet down the noise enough that you don't notice it. Have you ever changed your trans fluid? IF not, I would also change your diff fluid too.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 06:48 PM   #5
blurleaf
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
So I take it your car is out of warranty?

So it makes noise when warmed up, when you have your foot is OFF the clutch but the shifter in neutral?

So when the engine is running and you step DOWN on the clutch this sound goes away ?

The dual mass flywheels will make some noise in neutral. Also you can hear the two parts of the DMFW make some noises as you switch off the engine and as the revs stop. This is why I always depress the clutch(down) until the engine stops rotating. Just bc I don't like that noise. These DMFW rattling noise ARE completely normal. They kind of sound like some marbles in a metal coffee can - whirling around.

Seems to me that changing your transmission fluid might help. It just might quiet down the noise enough that you don't notice it. Have you ever changed your trans fluid? IF not, I would also change your diff fluid too.

Dackel
My car is still under warranty for another few months. What you described is accurate, the noise is there when my foot is off the clutch and the shifter is in neutral. The moment I step down on the clutch the noise goes away. The noise is more of a clicking/tapping sound rather than a whirling sound. I actually do not know what type of clutch/flywheel the car has... I am the 2nd owner and the service history has no indication of any clutch/flywheel change. It doesn't look like the fluids ever got changed too, that will be on my next to do list. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
The first thing I would check is the clutch. I know this may not be the ideal advice, however my little Corolla has the exact same issue. When it's cold she's pretty quiet. However once all the juices get flowing my clutch is extremely noisy when the tranny is in neutral and I am not pushing the pedal. I know for sure it's the clutch because as soon as I depress it, it's completely quiet.

If it was the actual tranny, you would hear the noise constantly or in a specific gear only.

If it's indeed the clutch, it's not a terrible issue, however it's the first place I'd start to look in your case.
How did you fix the noise? Change the clutch?

Last edited by blurleaf; 08-11-2017 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
My car is still under warranty for another few months. What you described is accurate, the noise is there when my foot is off the clutch and the shifter is in neutral. The moment I step down on the clutch the noise goes away. I actually do not know what type of clutch/flywheel the car has... I am the 2nd owner and the service history has no indication of any clutch/flywheel change. It doesn't look like the fluids ever got changed too, that will be on my next to do list. Thanks for the tip!
All modern BMW's have a dual mass flywheel. It's one of the reasons why replacing a clutch on our car's can be quite expensive if one drives too long with a slipping clutch.

I think you should just change the trans fluid and see if that helps. That said... I have changed my trans fluid every 20K to 30K and my 135i makes these same noises. It's probably you are just noticing the noises your car is making, bc the warranty is about to go out. As long as your trans shifts fine and doesn't grind any gears... it sounds like your trans in good health.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2017, 07:10 PM   #7
blurleaf
Rep

Quote:
All modern BMW's have a dual mass flywheel. It's one of the reasons why replacing a clutch on our car's can be quite expensive if one drives too long with a slipping clutch.

I think you should just change the trans fluid and see if that helps. That said... I have changed my trans fluid every 20K to 30K and my 135i makes these same noises. It's probably you are just noticing the noises your car is making, bc the warranty is about to go out. As long as your trans shifts fine and doesn't grind any gears... it sounds like your trans in good health.

Dackel
Thanks Dackel! An unrelated question, did you ever flush the steering fluid?
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      08-12-2017, 05:59 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
No, I have not done that yet. When I do... I think I will also replace the ps reservoir because there is a built in filter at the bottom of it. I probably should do it soon.

I have changed all my other fluids: Brake fluid, engine oil, diff, trans, coolant.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2017, 07:55 AM   #9
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Quote:
No, I have not done that yet. When I do... I think I will also replace the ps reservoir because there is a built in filter at the bottom of it. I probably should do it soon.

I have changed all my other fluids: Brake fluid, engine oil, diff, trans, coolant.

Dack
This sounds like normal DMFW noise. Annoys the hell out of me as well, it is also much louder with the M3 trans mounts. I have learned to just live with it.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      08-14-2017, 01:13 AM   #10
blurleaf
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
This sounds like normal DMFW noise. Annoys the hell out of me as well, it is also much louder with the M3 trans mounts. I have learned to just live with it.
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I am just going to crank up the music and drown out that annoying tapping noise.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 03:03 AM   #11
blurleaf
Rep

Quote:

Dack
Would someone be able to confirm what oil I should be using for my 128? It has a N52 engine. The car is in a relatively cold climate. I've read posts suggesting redline's D4ATF or MTL for the manual transmission. On redline's website the recommendation is D6ATF? For diff I've read posts suggesting 75W90 or 75W120. On redline's website the recommendation is 75W85? I am fairly confused at this point on what to use...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 07:07 AM   #12
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Quote:

Dack
Would someone be able to confirm what oil I should be using for my 128? It has a N52 engine. The car is in a relatively cold climate. I've read posts suggesting redline's D4ATF or MTL for the manual transmission. On redline's website the recommendation is D6ATF? For diff I've read posts suggesting 75W90 or 75W120. On redline's website the recommendation is 75W85? I am fairly confused at this point on what to use...
I would use the slightly thicker D4 for the trans over the D6 if driven in cold weather. I find the MTL a little too thick for below freezing temps.

Rear end I would use 75W90.
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50
      08-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Use Red Line's ATF-D4 for your manual transmission. You will need a little over two quarts(I think 2.1 quarts actually).

For the diff... you can use Red Line's 75w90 or 75w140 gear oil. SInce you live in a cold climate... I'd go with the 75w90 gear oil. You will need a suction tool or vacuum pump to remove/suck out the oil diff fluid since BMW saw fit not to install a drain plug/hole. The diff takes 1.2 quarts.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #14
jlc45
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i 6MT

The noise you are discussing is most likely coming from the transmission.
When you have your foot off the clutch pedal (clutch engaged) (and the engine is running) the input shaft and other shafts and gears and bearings are rotating in the trans. When you put the clutch pedal in these parts stop turning. (The clutch disc drives the trans input shaft when the clutch is engaged.) Have you checked the fluid level in the trans ? As suggested, the first step should be to check the fluid level but then to replace the fluid with a moderately heavy fluid. See if that reduces the noisiness. If the car is on a lift, you can have someone operate the car while another tech listens to the trans with a stethoscope.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2017, 03:47 PM   #15
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
I was just going to say this....it's a bit more pronounced once you upgrade the transmission mounts.....
Appreciate 0