BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #23
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Yes, and in my opinion this is one of the stupidest packaging decisions I've seen. Why on earth is lumbar not included in the power seat package??? I have to spend $3,000 and get a bunch of other features I don't particularly need to get it???
Or "features" one really dislikes, like the auto-dimming mirrors, IMHO.
Unfortunately, I don't think BMW is alone in choosing this marketing ploy, as it seems to go back to the hallowed auto industry concept of the "part that's not a part because it's part of another part"!

Tom
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #24
ManMachine
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 528

You don't really need lumbar support. Just buy a small pillow and you'll be fine. the advantage of the pillow is that it conforms to the shape of your lower back. I do this with my Honda.

My 5er has comfort seats, and I never use the lumbar. As a matter fact, lumbar was turned on all the way on when the car was delivered, and it was really hard on the back (for driver and passenger).

By the way, one should also try the proper seating position suggested by the BMWCCA driving schools. do a search, or just ask Mike Miller at Roundel about it.
      03-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #25
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Or "features" one really dislikes, like the auto-dimming mirrors, IMHO.
Unfortunately, I don't think BMW is alone in choosing this marketing ploy, as it seems to go back to the hallowed auto industry concept of the "part that's not a part because it's part of another part"!

Tom
I had to have sport seats because it is the second string back-up track car.

I got the premium package because I specifically wanted the seat memory function, lumbar support, and the dimming mirrors. I already wanted the coral red leather so much of the cost was included there.

Talk about personal preference!! I love the self dimming mirrors, it was not for the center mirror because I have no problem manually spitting it; but, I love the way I am not blinded in this car by pickup trucks and SUVs when stopped at a light at night. The 911s and the Audi have no means to stop this annoyance other then to tip the mirrors at the ground. One of the best features ever and my wife absolutely hates it.

The downside to the power seats is the speed at which they move. With the manual seats you can move them very quickly. Sally's 911 and Audi both have power sport seats and take forever to move into a position where I can even get in the car. The bigger bolsters on the sports seats make it more difficult to get in the seat when someone forgets to move the seat back.

I also love the M steering wheel, and I never notice the M badge, but the feel is great. For what its worth, the trackster has a 964 Turbo S steering wheel in it and I never felt like it was posing. I also got a Carrera tail for it when a friend put a wing on his SC. My friend and I travelled to many track events for several years before he sucumbed to cancer. I never took off the Carrera script and never felt like I was posing, I don't think anyone else did either. Of course, they may have been reluctant to criticize their Chief Instructor; but, in our track world you have to take your cheap shots when you can.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #26
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

You can get good lumbar support cushions for $25 - $50 on eBay.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #27
cagekicker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i

i have the manual sports seats and i don't have lumbar support.
      03-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #28
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagekicker View Post
i have the manual sports seats and i don't have lumbar support.
That is right, you shouldn't have them. They are only included on power seats, when you also order the Premium Package. You will have the electric width adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #29
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator
United_States
Rep
Drives: to work, mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
That is right, you shouldn't have them. They are only included on power seats, when you also order the Premium Package. You will have the electric width adjustment.
Just to clarify...in the USA, if you order the ZPP premium package, you will automatically have the Power Seats + Lumbar Support included as part of the package - you do not need to order Power Seats as a separate option.
Appreciate 0