BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2008, 10:55 AM   #89
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTT View Post
I could not be happier with the Steptronic system. Check out my experiences with why I love it....

Car Review
I just read your threadGreat to hear the step is really fast:w00t: I have never driven a fast car with an auto. My 07 Acura TL-S had really slow upshifting with the paddles. I now need to go drive the 135i Demo automatic at the dealer near me. I was asked if I wanted to drive it last month, but I said no because I wanted a manual. I am now getting very serious about the auto from your stories and opinions. Plus MUCH easier to buy one on the lot near me. They are all auto's. :w00t::thumbup::headbang:
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 11:11 AM   #90
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by plien69 View Post
I guess I'm still not making myself clear:

My point is, it is (mostly) programming that defines the differences between say's Acura's automatic transmission, and BMW's Steptronic. The basic architecture of Acura's automatic and BMW's automatic are very similar (planetary gears, torque converter, etc.) But BMW (and ZF) program the Step for quicker shifting and more sporting behavior.

Next transmission example: SMG. Completely different from automatics, I know. The basic architecture of non-M SMGs and M SMGs are very similar: helical gears and single clutches controlled via hydraulics and computer-control. The differences in their behavior are mainly defined through their programming.

Final example: dual-clutch transmissions (DCT, DSG, etc.). Again, very different from automatics, and also different from SMG. The poster I was responding to said his EOS DSG was very slow. My counterpoint was that not all dual-clutch transmissions are slow. In fact, the DCT in the M is likely extremely fast. Why? Programming. The basic architecture of DCT and DSG remain very similar: helical gear, dual clutches controlled via hydraulics and computer-control. His DSG is slow not because of some inherent design deficiency of dual-clutch transmissions in general, but probably due either to programming choices by VW or malfunction.
Thanks for that clarification, I get what you are saying now, and agree.