BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Did you do a boo boo?

Well, let me first start off with a disclaimer. Please don't go out and perform a test to see how well your vehicle handles a crash but if you have already been in one, please tell us about your experience.

I am curious if the government data is as accurate as it claims about injury, damage etc. So if you will, post a few pics to show the damage. Then also provide a little information on the cost of repairs, injuries you sustained, what should the vehicle have done differently for you etc.

Please do be careful out there! Thanks for sharing your opinions and pictures.

rking117
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i - 6MT SOLD

Not as serious as you seem to seek, but for cost of repair info:

A family member of mine backed mine into a tree at slow speed.

Damage:
- Tail light
- Bumper
- Rear quarter kinked
- Trunk pan dinged
- AMP in trunk hit

Cost:
~$4,000 at respected BMW collision shop

My temp fix: ~$7 Dollar General (tape and red binder)

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

awwee man, you need a couple bandaides for that. So noone was injured that is what is important.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Stohlen
Major
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.66]
I highly suggest that you stop right now and ignore every posted reply in this thread. It is impossible to tell with such a small sample size how safe a car is, and every accident has such a unique set of circumstances that its impossible to tell if a car is safe or not from a few random users experiences.

Something as simple as a poor seat position can be the difference between life and death in an accident, and that's never something you're gonna know from someones quick description of an accident. Crash testing is a much more accurate look at how safe a car is in general, because every crash is under the exact same circumstances as each other car tested. You should be looking at that data rather than some random dude on a forums opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
Adam135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanscotch View Post
Cost:
~$4,000 at respected BMW collision shop
That's ridiculous for the amount of damage you had
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i - 6MT SOLD

Agreed. At first look, she was going to pay for it out of pocket, thinking it'd be under $2K..got a quote for giggles and quickly let her claim it on insurance.

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #7
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stohlen View Post
I highly suggest that you stop right now and ignore every posted reply in this thread. It is impossible to tell with such a small sample size how safe a car is, and every accident has such a unique set of circumstances that its impossible to tell if a car is safe or not from a few random users experiences.

Something as simple as a poor seat position can be the difference between life and death in an accident, and that's never something you're gonna know from someones quick description of an accident. Crash testing is a much more accurate look at how safe a car is in general, because every crash is under the exact same circumstances as each other car tested. You should be looking at that data rather than some random dude on a forums opinion.
Noted
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

The 1 series has scored 5* in the EuroNCAP test cycles.

From my own experience being rear ended this car is a brick shithouse.

I dont have pictures. But I stopped for a red light and the guy behind me didnt...he hit me at about 25mph.

Not much damage visible damage. Only the bumper was actually hit. He actually slid under my car, so my trunk floor exhaust.and a few emissions pieces needed replacing. Cost his Insurance about $7500.

But the important thing is the car had no frame damage. Which I find amazing personally.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #9
Sylon
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport

Garage List
2011 135i  [9.20]
I just recently had an accident, however the damage wasn't visible with the exception of a cracked CF rear diffuser. However, a couple years ago, and 5 days before it was scheduled to be on a boat heading for the US, I hit a fox on the Autobahn in Germany at 105mph. And let me tell you, that soft, cuddly fox suddenly became a bowling ball when I hit it, causing $6800-worth of damage to my young car. I still managed to get it repaired and turned into shipping before I left Germany. It was the worst accent I've had in the car. A lot of damage to the front bumper, and pretty much everything behind it. The engine survived, but the cooling system was gone. FMIC, radiator, etc, all took a hit. There was even evidence of fox on the passenger-side rear wheel well. And it destroyed my (at the time, 1 of 2 in Germany) iCarbon front lip.

Sorry for the big pics.

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
...I dont have pictures. But I stopped for a red light and the guy behind me didnt...he hit me at about 25mph.
Not much damage visible damage. Only the bumper was actually hit. He actually slid under my car, so my trunk floor exhaust.and a few emissions pieces needed replacing. Cost his Insurance about $7500.
But the important thing is the car had no frame damage. Which I find amazing personally.
Good to know. I am glad to know that these cars are built that sturdy. IT makes me even more confident in the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
I just recently had an accident, however the damage wasn't visible with the exception of a cracked CF rear diffuser. However, a couple years ago, and 5 days before it was scheduled to be on a boat heading for the US, I hit a fox on the Autobahn in Germany at 105mph. And let me tell you, that soft, cuddly fox suddenly became a bowling ball when I hit it, causing $6800-worth of damage to my young car. I still managed to get it repaired and turned into shipping before I left Germany. It was the worst accent I've had in the car. A lot of damage to the front bumper, and pretty much everything behind it. The engine survived, but the cooling system was gone. FMIC, radiator, etc, all took a hit. There was even evidence of fox on the passenger-side rear wheel well. And it destroyed my (at the time, 1 of 2 in Germany) iCarbon front lip.

Sorry for the big pics.
NP on the pics. Glad u were ok. man the grill took a beating. but most of that is cosmetic. I take it no rail damage.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #12
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
From my own experience being rear ended this car is a brick shithouse.
lol I concur, my 135 was rear ended twice in the same manner, both times the other car was not drivable. No injuries on my part, just gatorade all over the dash - sticky mess.

First accident :

Second :

First accident cost the other person $4k getting repaired at the dealers on site collision shop. Second cost ~$7k getting fixed at MAC Autocouture where they found additional damage that the first shop missed/didn't fix.

And final proof that this car is built like a tank, I present :

Telephone pole + ice, only injuries were a bruised arm, knee, and ego. Doors and trunk still opened solid, no shift in cabin at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snertz View Post
...Telephone pole + ice, only injuries were a bruised arm, knee, and ego. Doors and trunk still opened solid, no shift in cabin at all.
wow, that car was totaled? sure looks like it but the most interesting fact is that the cabin was still intact with what appears to be minimal structure damage. sorry to hear about the car. Glad that you didnt sustain more injuries than that.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

Yup totalled. I was amazed that even the glass held up, no cracks.
Appreciate 0