BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
tom34
Rep
Drives: 135i

Nav and sound upgrade? cleaning products?

Just took delivery of my 135i. Yes i love it!

I got the Nav and sound upgrade. Because i haven't seen or heard the business or normal versions, just wondering how do i know i have the upspec? What can i do to check?

Also i've bought the armourall protectant for wheels but how about cleaning methods and products for the car internally and externally? What materials/method/frequency do you guys recommend?

And yes i am totally stoked with the 135i, never have i been in a car with so many gizmos, power and handling. I'll be enjoying it for awhile yet i'm sure.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
yzr
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I M Sport + Innovation

Garage List
2008 BMW 320I  [0.00]
Congratulations on your new car!

The professional sat nav has a bigger screen than the business sat nav
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
Just took delivery of my 135i. Yes i love it!

I got the Nav and sound upgrade. Because i haven't seen or heard the business or normal versions, just wondering how do i know i have the upspec? What can i do to check?

Also i've bought the armourall protectant for wheels but how about cleaning methods and products for the car internally and externally? What materials/method/frequency do you guys recommend?

And yes i am totally stoked with the 135i, never have i been in a car with so many gizmos, power and handling. I'll be enjoying it for awhile yet i'm sure.

Thanks
I use Mother's Gold Class externally. The gold class liquid for washing, and then the 3-stage wax process (pre-wax cleaner, sealant and then carnauba wax). And of course, the Armorall protectant for wheels.

Internally, I use ArmorAll Multi-Purpose cleaner for non-leather and non-absorbic surfaces. On Leather surfaces I am using ArmorAll Leather Conditioner and then Mother's Leather Shampoo/Protectant.

To give you a summary of my epic car-care products:

EXTERNAL

Wash: Mother's Gold Class Liquid Shampoo
Wax: Mother's Gold Class 3-stage Wax
Wheels: Wash + ArmorAll Wheel Protectant
Windows: ArmorAll Glass Wash and then AutoGlym Glass Polish

INTERNAL
Leather: ArmorAll Leather Conditioner & Mother's leather shampoo/protectant
Non-leather: ArmorAll Multi-Purpose cleaner.
Windows: ArmorAll Glass Wash and then AutoGlym Glass Polish

I use microfibre towels on everything. I have a special MF sponge that Joel (JMH1983) gave to me a while ago for the washing externally. For drying, polish, internal surfaces and windows i use MF's to apply and remove.

Everyone has different ways of taking care of their car. You'll find most people will post different brands, some clay bar and some dont, some don't use Carnauba wax and use synthetic. It's just a matter of personal taste and preference.

Find something that works for you and shows results, and nobody can tell you otherwise
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Congratulations!

The Prof Nav takes up the whole screen, and if you look a mirrors, you will see a nice set of tweeters. You would also have equaliser settings on the iDrive.

I have a combination of Dodojuice, Swissvax and Meguires. The detailing forum has got tonnes of information re looking after your car . There might be quite a number of post I had previously with details on how to clean your car.

X5mad have lots of info too.

One of the must is a foam gun and microfibre towel. I am sure I have written a post when someone asked last time.

My wife's chasing me out of the house so I better go. Try a search now, and I'll add more info later.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
tom34
Rep

Cool thanks guys great tips. One of the first things i got was the armourall wheel protectant, the amount of brake dust off these european vehicles is amazing.

Yep so i got the Prof Nav, how do i check to make sure its got the logic 7?

Also did you guys break in the engine like the manual says? Its difficult to be patient.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Congratulations mate and welcome to the family here! I have Logic 7 also but haven't been in too many 1ers to tell the difference.

To use Taymaishu's excellent layout (hope you don't mind Alex) -

EXTERNAL
Wash: Chemical Guys Citrus Wash through a Foam Gun (a must!)
Wax: I have paint protection, so I skip this step!
Wheels: P21S Wheel Gel to clean, Swissvax Autobahn to Protect & ArmorAll Wheel Protectant to stop me pulling my hair out due to brake dust!
Windows: Stoners Invisible Glass with newspaper & glass cleaning microfibre

INTERNAL
Leather: Haven't really found something I love yet for this, have used Chemical Guys Leather Conditioner but too oily and Leatherique Rejuvinator Oil & Pristine Clean - not mind blowing as some would say - I might have used it wrong! Want to try the Swissvax leather conditioner next, really like their products or Zaino's Leather Milk which I have read good things about!
Non-leather: Wet Microfibre and the Aerospace 303 Protectant - I live in Darwin!
Windows: As External

I also have it detailed once a month or so through someone I now trust, so do the above a lot less often! Finding it increasing hard to spend 3 or 4 hours of my very limited free time to wash the car, when Robby does such a great job!

As Taymaishu said, there are millions of products and each prefer their own combo but find what works for you and aligns with what you're wiling to spend!

One thing though, I get all my stuff through carcareproducts.com.au now, Mike Rafael is incredible and the prices and products are really awesome!

That said, when I first started Sparoz was invaluable with his info and really is car care guru! X5mad & AlpineM3 are also victims to this bug! From what I can gather, Christine (Taymaishu's 125i) is pretty damn spotless too!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I hadn't cleaned my wheels in a long time, and the dust baked on... I tried everything to clean it off, but nothing really worked. Asked on the detailing forum and was recommended the Sonax Wheel Cleaner. And man did it work! Brilliant and I will never use anything else.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 02:23 AM   #8
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Congratulations mate and welcome to the family here! I have Logic 7 also but haven't been in too many 1ers to tell the difference.

To use Taymaishu's excellent layout (hope you don't mind Alex) -

EXTERNAL
Wash: Chemical Guys Citrus Wash through a Foam Gun (a must!)
Wax: I have paint protection, so I skip this step!
Wheels: P21S Wheel Gel to clean, Swissvax Autobahn to Protect & ArmorAll Wheel Protectant to stop me pulling my hair out due to brake dust!
Windows: Stoners Invisible Glass with newspaper & glass cleaning microfibre

INTERNAL
Leather: Haven't really found something I love yet for this, have used Chemical Guys Leather Conditioner but too oily and Leatherique Rejuvinator Oil & Pristine Clean - not mind blowing as some would say - I might have used it wrong! Want to try the Swissvax leather conditioner next, really like their products or Zaino's Leather Milk which I have read good things about!
Non-leather: Wet Microfibre and the Aerospace 303 Protectant - I live in Darwin!
Windows: As External

I also have it detailed once a month or so through someone I now trust, so do the above a lot less often! Finding it increasing hard to spend 3 or 4 hours of my very limited free time to wash the car, when Robby does such a great job!

As Taymaishu said, there are millions of products and each prefer their own combo but find what works for you and aligns with what you're wiling to spend!

One thing though, I get all my stuff through carcareproducts.com.au now, Mike Rafael is incredible and the prices and products are really awesome!

That said, when I first started Sparoz was invaluable with his info and really is car care guru! X5mad & AlpineM3 are also victims to this bug! From what I can gather, Christine (Taymaishu's 125i) is pretty damn spotless too!
No worries It also rained last night and a few drops today, so will be cleaning her again tomorrow. Might make a photo essay on it :P Actually it wouldn't be an essay, more of a thesis.

It really depends how obsessive you are too, I LOVE driving a clean car around - I actually feel embarrassed when she's got a fair bit of dirt on her.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 02:37 AM   #9
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
I hadn't cleaned my wheels in a long time, and the dust baked on... I tried everything to clean it off, but nothing really worked. Asked on the detailing forum and was recommended the Sonax Wheel Cleaner. And man did it work! Brilliant and I will never use anything else.
absolutely agree with this, I've been using it for a couple of years and it's amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 03:28 AM   #10
AussieRacer
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I highly recommend chemguys.com.au

High quality products at prices typically cheaper than Megs. There are always better products, but the differences will be marginal unless you really clay, polish and protect 2-3 times a year.
      04-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
Cool thanks guys great tips. One of the first things i got was the armourall wheel protectant, the amount of brake dust off these european vehicles is amazing.

Yep so i got the Prof Nav, how do i check to make sure its got the logic 7?

Also did you guys break in the engine like the manual says? Its difficult to be patient.
Check if you have an equaliser and the surround feature - ours is actually a virtual logic 7 as we only have 6 channels, where the centre front's missing.

yes, i did - I just drove a couple of long trips , just remember to have it at different revs though.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 10:14 AM   #12
NJL
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i

Hey guys using interior armour-all interior products - don't quote me, But I believe they use silicon which isn't great for a car in the sun from time to time...

My cleaning:

Lazerwash - don't use any form of abrasion, learnt my lesson with black cars...
Use AutoGlym chamois
Then mothers instant detailer with microfibre cloth
then once over with microfibre, brings out the final buff
Use a wet towel to clean wheels, then apply Meguiars liquid tyre shine on a sponge, tyres always look sexy that way - and it lasts longer than the spray on stuff
Then ofcourse vacuum the interior!
Use Mothers interior deailer on a microfibre towel to pick up all the schmuck
Use mothers leather conditioner and cleaner on the seats, softens the leather and actually moisterises it - which is what I believe the armour-all products do not do...

Last edited by NJL; 04-25-2010 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #13
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJL View Post
Hey guys using interior armour-all interior products - don't quote me, But I believe they use silicon which isn't great for a car in the sun from time to time...

My cleaning:

Lazerwash - don't use any form of abrasion, learnt my lesson with black cars...
Use AutoGlym chamois
Then mothers instant detailer with microfibre cloth
then once over with microfibre, brings out the final buff
Use a wet towel to clean wheels, then apply Meguiars liquid tyre shine on a sponge, tyres always look sexy that way - and it lasts longer than the spray on stuff
Then ofcourse vacuum the interior!
Use Mothers interior deailer on a microfibre towel to pick up all the schmuck
Use mothers leather conditioner and cleaner on the seats, softens the leather and actually moisterises it - which is what I believe the armour-all products do not do...

Another Mother's boy That makes two of us!

You are correct on the leather conditioner. I use the ArmorAll to clean, then the Mother's to condition and moisturise. It takes a bit of effort to properly spread and work into the leather
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #14
NJL
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i

Ah good good! I had just heard some horror stories where people didn't use conditioner and moisteriser - only the armourall and had dried their dashboards up, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
Bimmerle
just a little Bimmer
Australia
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport coupe

I used the ColourShield product www.colourshield.com to seal and protect the paintwork. I didn't get the expensive treatment from the dealer, but used this DIY product and I couldn't be happier. I used it to treat the wheels as well, and the brake dust is much easier to remove.

Inside, I use the Zaino Leather in a Bottle, which works great.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #16
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Congrats on the new car.

Like Sparoz I use dodojuice and swissvax. Through the years with trial and error I have found these products to be top notch.

To get some background knowledge I would recommend going to the swissvax website and having a read of their detailing handbook which explains the steps quite nicely.

I am not a big fan of armorall for the interior. They tend to not last long, give a greasy feel and dont really protect your plastics. For the interior hard surfaces I would recommend aerospace 303.

The important rules would be to use microfibre wash mitts and cloths as they are great for minimising swirls and scratches. As for washing, use the 2 bucket method - 1 for the shampoo and one with just plain water to rinse your wash mitt in. Another thing I found to be useful was after each panel or when wash mitt gets visibly dirty is to also use your garden hose and spray the mitt immediately thus further minimising the chances of dirt being rubbed back onto your car causing swirl marks and scratches.

For the leather I use zaino leather cleaner/conditioner at least every 6 months.

Glass - just simple damp microfibre cloth is sufficient.

Paintwork - depends on how involved you want to be or can be. Again I think the swissvax manual should answer most of your questions.

Wheels - i prepared by washing, clay bar, cleaner fluid and then your choice of sealant or wax. Has worked well for me and the wheels only need a simple wash and rinse on a weekly basis after this with no dirt clinging to the wheels.

I also use carcareproducts.com.au for most of my detailing/cleaning products.

You will love the car and even better when it is gleaming!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2010, 09:49 AM   #17
tom34
Rep

Thanks heaps for all the tips guys. I'll get round i'm sure to checking them all out however for now i've started with the zaino products and am really pleased with the results....super shiny!

From all your posts and further reading i've so far:

1. bought a karcher which is awesome. So i foam the car. Then wait 2minutes
2. using neutral zaino car wash i use the two bucket method which works really well. Watch the water go brown quickly in the rinse bucket. Microfibre towels to wash and dry. Washed the wheels last and armorall protectant. Awesome tip, that stuff keeps breakdust off really well, thanks. Think i went bit overboard though, used up more than half the can.
3. claybar and rinse. Then dry.
4. zaino z2 pro and accelarant. Then buff off.
5. i was going to z6 spray it but didn't have time.

I'm really impressed with how smooth and shiny the end result to my hard work was.
Appreciate 0