BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2

Want to pick the right mods first time around! Need second opinions to confirm!

I am looking to upgrade the following and want to make the right/ best choices the first time around:

-FMIC

-Charge pipe

-Planning on going with ESS stage 1 unless I here valid reasons not to.

Any help is much appreciated. Changing anything is a delicate situation for me so it is really important I do this right the first time around with no regrets!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Personally I wouldn't change my charge pipe unless it cracked and I had to

Fmic, helix and er are probably the most robust solutions if you don't mind trimming a bit

For a clean fit, ets is hard to beat.

I prefer cobb because of the resale and the fact you can get an e-tune or pro dyno tune specific to your car. And the ease to use and datalog.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

And my cents: Change the charge pipe, don't wait it to crack. Why so? First of all, you will have peace of mind which I like, second, with a tune you are raising your chances that it will crack or pop since the factory piece is good for regular 135i/335i boost max; third, when you take the stock part out you will see what kind of a quality piece of engineering is that, comes second to only our precious mid pipes; fourth, you will have noticeable improvement in throttle response which justifies the change alone. Keeping the stock charge pipe and going with a tune is imo like russian roulette, it won't hold finally and it will ruin your fun at the most undesired moments, plus are you a fan of going to BMW services to make a warranty claim with a tune installed before the claim? Why not avoid the hassle and keep your original pipe as reserve for obligatory dealer service visits for engine realted issues? It is not super cheap a cp but not that expensive either.

I only have first hand experience with ER model and looks and works perfect to me as long as you manage to install it perfect, which is tricky unless you are very handy in this kind of job, so I strongly advice someone, a pro shop or your handy buddy who is really good in this do it for you, not an easy or quick job.

I am not saying it is going to be a disaster if you don't do it now; I am saying why wait really? Did we wait the stock exhaust rust and fall down in order to change it?

The rest of the parts you were asking I think you will have as many different replies as member population of this and neighbour forums
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 03-27-2013 at 09:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

My opinion my be somewhat biased, but I not only sell them, I also run them on my personal 1M:

-FMIC

ETS or Forge.

-Charge pipe

ER

-Planning on going with ESS stage 1 unless I here valid reasons not to

Can't comment too much on ESS, but GIAC has been solid and what all the top runners at time trials are using.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
+1 on changing the chargepipe before it cracks.

I have an ETS Intercooler and ER chargepipe with a Tial BOV as HPA recommended and I couldnt be happier.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the help guys! Especially Harold, he has been more than helpful dealing with my emails and phone calls. I obviously do not know too much when it comes to this realm of things so I appreciate all the help you guys! So after long debating etc. I think I'm going to go with:

FMIC: Forge Uprated (only concern is not enough feedback on Forge FMIC when compared to ETS) Plus the additional piping inclusive with the ETS system seems very beneficial which the Forge does not have)

Diverter Valves: Forge

Software: ESS

Charge pipe: leaning towards Burgers due to how clean and stealthy it looks, not a big fan of the loud, polished look of the ER.
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #7
zayzay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 1M

I have the forge fmic and i am very pleased. i also have the er chargepipe with the tial bov with no regrets and i am planning with going with the renntech tune. this tune seems to produce the most horsepower and torque.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13 View Post

Charge pipe: leaning towards Burgers due to how clean and stealthy it looks, not a big fan of the loud, polished look of the ER.
You know that there is a stealth black anodyzed version of ER, don't you?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13 View Post
Thanks for the help guys! Especially Harold, he has been more than helpful dealing with my emails and phone calls. I obviously do not know too much when it comes to this realm of things so I appreciate all the help you guys! So after long debating etc. I think I'm going to go with:

FMIC: Forge Uprated (only concern is not enough feedback on Forge FMIC when compared to ETS) Plus the additional piping inclusive with the ETS system seems very beneficial which the Forge does not have)

Diverter Valves: Forge

Software: ESS

On charge pipe.

I have the ER charge pipe. It is ok. I do not like the solution for DV attachment with a silicon elbow. I much prefer the robust quick connect clips that the OEM CP uses. Also, installing the CP is a PITA. And trust me when I tell you, dealers WILL give you problems related to the CP, ask me how I know.

If going aftermarket, i would only choose the ER though since it uses the factory C clip attachment to the throttle body and OEM O ring. An elbow there is just another cheap attachment IMO. And ER can be had in a black finish, although it is obvious it is an aftermarket part, mainly due to the big ER logos on the silicon DV attachment elbows which are clearly visible when looking in the engine bay.

I noticed no gain in throttle response with the CP, and would not personally do it again.

Again, i would not go with ESS on the tune, but if you are not worried about ease of flashing, pro dyno tuning, datalogging or resale, i suppose it is a safe bet.

The forge FMIC is legit, i have it and like it. It fits well.
      03-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
On charge pipe.

I have the ER charge pipe. It is ok. I do not like the solution for DV attachment with a silicon elbow. I much prefer the robust quick connect clips that the OEM CP uses. Also, installing the CP is a PITA. And trust me when I tell you, dealers WILL give you problems related to the CP, ask me how I know.

If going aftermarket, i would only choose the ER though since it uses the factory C clip attachment to the throttle body and OEM O ring. An elbow there is just another cheap attachment IMO. And ER can be had in a black finish, although it is obvious it is an aftermarket part, mainly due to the big ER logos on the silicon DV attachment elbows which are clearly visible when looking in the engine bay.

I noticed no gain in throttle response with the CP, and would not personally do it again.

Again, i would not go with ESS on the tune, but if you are not worried about ease of flashing, pro dyno tuning, datalogging or resale, i suppose it is a safe bet.

The forge FMIC is legit, i have it and like it. It fits well.
Like you say installing is PITA and should be done by a good pro shop imo to avoid issues related to imperfect installations.

I also agree that even with black version it is kind of obvious that it is an aftermarket part but nothing like the shiny polished version.

I think on an otherwise stock car the throttle response factor is valid and is noticeable. Your experience might be related to existence of other mods maybe? Like a FMIC etc. I had nothing before ER charge pipe and did notice a better response after installing it.

Other than dealer warranty problems, once you install it good, it has well known benefits especially for a tuned engine. And there is no way to deny that stock piece is not up to task. I hope we can agree on that at least
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
bmw13
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update:

- Forge Uprated FMIC on back order with Harold @ http://www.hpashop.com/main.sc Thanks again for everything HPA! From educating me on the basics to fulfilling and taking care of my orders, Harold of HPA provides excellent service from start to finish! Their customer care is exceptional!

- Forge Diverter Valves - Ordered! I had a $200 gift certificate to Urotuning (Thank you domani 1m) Total was $113 shipped vs $299 plus shipping.

- Burger Charge Pipe - Paid for in full. domani 1m is removing from his car today and replacing with Active Autowerks BOV

**Thanks domani 1m for helping a brother out in more ways than one! It does not go unnoticed nor unappreciated!

As soon as the intercooler ships, I will then order the ESS software to ensure I do install everything at once!

Thank you gain all for the direction and sharing your thoughts!
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740

Last edited by bmw13; 03-29-2013 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

[QUOTE=HP Autowerks]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post

And if you're not happy with that, you can always have it powdercoated...
Appreciate 0