BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-30-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
JiggaWang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW/SS M4

Any WA owners wanna meet up?

Kinda short notice but with the long weekend coming up and (supposedly) decent weather, I was wondering if any of you guys wanted to get together?

I've had my car for a little over a year but didn't really get to meet any other 1 series owners til the XXX meet a while ago. That was fun, but it'd be cool to meet some other guys.

Just throwin it out there...doesn't have to be this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
MarkRacerX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
BMW meet

Yeah I hear ya man, be cool to do something mid state to setup a meet/drive or something . I had WRX/STi's prior and seemed almost monthly some kind of meet / drives which were fun to see all the cars and meet other owners. Seems quiet BMW wise in the NW.
      06-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #3
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Coming from a VW, I have to agree. More interest at meeting up and doing things with other owners. I'm interested, but not until mid to late July due to work and testing!
      07-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
JiggaWang
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW/SS M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRacerX View Post
Yeah I hear ya man, be cool to do something mid state to setup a meet/drive or something . I had WRX/STi's prior and seemed almost monthly some kind of meet / drives which were fun to see all the cars and meet other owners. Seems quiet BMW wise in the NW.
That would be fun if we could ever coordinate it...how many other 135i's do you see in Spokane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyT View Post
Coming from a VW, I have to agree. More interest at meeting up and doing things with other owners. I'm interested, but not until mid to late July due to work and testing!
No worries, we can try to organize something later in the month.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 01:39 AM   #5
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

I'm always interested, but my weekend schedule is booked almost solid until October 15th. I usually can't do any spur of the moment stuff.

I go on all the BMW CCA drives and most event with the club, I haven't seen another 1 series yet. Why is that?

Time permitting, I could probably squeeze in a weekend morning drive from the metro area to Black Diamond (via indirect route of course) with a few 1ers. There are also some great roads around Monroe, Duvall, Carnation and Fall City. And up north between Marysville and LaConner. With a small group, Highway 20 between Rockport and Winthrop is insanely fun too. I've organized countless drives over the past decade and have all the route maps.

MarkRacerX, there is a LOT of BMW activity in the NW, though to be fair it may not be the type of activities you are interested in. The month of June had BMW & Burgers at XXX, a dyno day at Carb Conn, a driving event in the Cascade foothills that included a first class tour of Dirtfish Rally School, the massive E30 picnic weekend and some smaller impromptu drives... and that's just the CCA club calendar!

JimmyT, as far as interest goes (and not to stereotype... much), when moving from VW up the luxury/exotic car food chain, owners tend to have less free time because we have 50+ hour week jobs, families, and hobbies other than cars. I'd love to have a BMW-related event every weekend but as I mentioned earlier, I'm booked until October 15th.

BTW, I came from the Toyota Supra and VW crowd. The Supra group at their peak was extremely active, and VW continues to be. I remember hanging out in parking lots and in people's driveways for hours looking at mods, work-in-progress cars and swapping stories. And I enjoyed it because I shared similar stories, and mods, with my cars. But only occasionally was there actual driving that didn't involve the caravan to the meeting location. And even more rare that a social activity involved spending money on more than cases of Busch Light and hot dogs.

The BMW scene doesn't do that very often. We mostly drive, and eat, and drink. No one is worried about their car breaking down, or not having enough gas money for the trip, or trying to skip out on a restaurant tab - all common occurrences from the Supra/VW days.
      07-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate View Post
JimmyT, as far as interest goes (and not to stereotype... much), when moving from VW up the luxury/exotic car food chain, owners tend to have less free time because we have 50+ hour week jobs, families, and hobbies other than cars. I'd love to have a BMW-related event every weekend but as I mentioned earlier, I'm booked until October 15th.
I volunteered to help with the BMW CCA CDE on 24 July, hope to see you there!
And I know about 50+ hour work weeks, just started a new job in Sumner, and went over 40 hours for the week in 3 days!!
      07-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
Revelate
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyT View Post
I volunteered to help with the BMW CCA CDE on 24 July, hope to see you there!
And I know about 50+ hour work weeks, just started a new job in Sumner, and went over 40 hours for the week in 3 days!!
Hahaha, this just clicked when I read your comment and matched it with your screen name. You're the mysterious Jim T. that we talked about at the volunteer meeting last night. Steve said you couldn't make it so we weren't waiting for you, but we usually know the folks who volunteer for club events and your name drew blanks on everyone's face.

You may want to connect with Steve. I think we have the judging teams set, but there's always a lot to help with. And thanks for volunteering!

Dane
      07-23-2011, 05:52 AM   #8
JimmyT
Redneck Engineer
United_States
Rep

No issues, no worries... I'll try to show up and help!
      07-26-2011, 02:47 AM   #9
MarkRacerX
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Spokane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggaWang View Post
That would be fun if we could ever coordinate it...how many other 135i's do you see in Spokane?
Only two so far I've seen, one vert, one blk norm coupe. Not many at all, which is cool because many still have no clue about 135i, They freak to hear it is a Twin Turbo Inline 6cyl. Many only know M series to have any Power.