BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
mb118
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1hatch

Low fuel warning light and autologic?

Dear all,

normally, my low fuel warning light comes on about 100km range to drive for and it will come up again when only 50km range is remaining.But today, the warning light only comes up at 85km range instead of 100km. Is there anything wrong?

reason to ask is I just went to a friend's workshop to help him to get some diagnosis data for another similar car which he is repairing. Question - does it matter if he only reads data from my car with his autologic screen? the reading was pretty fast like 2 or 3 mins.can't remember what diagnosis though. I worried that his reading might have screwed up some of my car settings like the low fuel warning light etc?

need your opinions.

cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I think the low fuel light comes on when you have a certain amount of liters left in the gas tank. The bc just figures out how many more miles/kilometers you can drive at that point.

I normally do not let the low fuel light come on. I always buy gas before then. I wanna say when my light comes on it says I have 75 or 80 kms left to drive. I know it depends on how you drive, bc many times the light has come on... it will say 75kms more you can drive... I will be driving around 180 kph, and then only 30 kms later it will say I can only go another 20kms. The bc math doesn't add up. That is why I think its base off of tank liter level.

I do not quite understand your second question. ???
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #3
mb118
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1hatch

thanks man!I just checked the manual which says the range (100km or 85km in my case) is calculated on the basis of the way the car has been driven over the past 30km and the amount of fuel currently in the tank. I guess the fuel reserve never changes and the light will appear once fuel level has fallen to the reserve zone and in my case, the amount of fuel left in the reserve can only allow me to travel 85km this time instead of 100km in the past. But funny that it has been always 100km in the past 2 years.

with regards to my 2nd question - autologic is one of the BMW diagnosis equipment for sacnning faults and does a bit of programming too. My question is if a equipment like such plugs into my OBD and did some scanning about 2-3 minutes, will it affect the whole car's computer system? I guess not but just need opinions from others. is there any possibility that he change some setting/values via the scan to my car?

cheers!
Appreciate 0