BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Scrunching sound coming from Driver's Front Suspension...

So, I installed my Hotchkis front sway a few months back. Ever since I did, I have had this "scrunching" sound coming out of, what sounds like, the driver's front spring perch/shock area, over every small or big bump/dip I hit.

It's not a grinding or squeaking sound, more of a scrunching noise, if that makes sense. I suppose I better get under there and check to see if the bar needs lube or something.

Anybody have this? Any idears? Such a PITA with those 18 screws under there, haha.
      03-09-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

End links can easily come loose if not tightened the crap out of. you dont have to take the underpanel off to fix that either. Just take off the wheel.

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrutled View Post
End links can easily come loose if not tightened the crap out of. you dont have to take the underpanel off to fix that either. Just take off the wheel.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Check your end links. If you re-installed BMW end links, make sure that you installed them to the correct side; and yes they are right/left hand side sensitive. If you replaced your BMW end links with Hotchkis, the lenth may not be corrected causing the ball joint to fail prematurely. I had encountered both problems and I heard the same noise that you are complaining. So, please check your end links.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
Check your end links. If you re-installed BMW end links, make sure that you installed them to the correct side; and yes they are right/left hand side sensitive. If you replaced your BMW end links with Hotchkis, the lenth may not be corrected causing the ball joint to fail prematurely. I had encountered both problems and I heard the same noise that you are complaining. So, please check your end links.
I used the stock endlinks and let them "hang" while I installed the bar, so they couldn't have gotten switched. I tightened the living CRAP out of them too, as per instructions on here. Any tighter and I'd have broken the bolts I think.
      03-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
I used the stock endlinks and let them "hang" while I installed the bar, so they couldn't have gotten switched. I tightened the living CRAP out of them too, as per instructions on here. Any tighter and I'd have broken the bolts I think.
Did you use sh*tloads of the lithium grease on the new bushings?
Appreciate 0