BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #1
revo 3vom
It's move over
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deep Green Metallic 335xi

Camber plate vs no camber plate

Before there are like 12 trolls on here, I have searched and not seen a good thread on this. If you have one feel free to post it here minus captain hindsight quotes.

What are the benefits?
Do you recommend them?
Favorite camber/caster plates?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo 3vom View Post
Before there are like 12 trolls on here, I have searched and not seen a good thread on this. If you have one feel free to post it here minus captain hindsight quotes.

What are the benefits?
Do you recommend them?
Camber plates are awesome. A simple and effective modification that helps you optimize your static alignment settings for better performance and tire wear while driving. Most are adjustable which will allow you to tweak your alignment to your specific driving and suspension setup. In my opinion, this is the best suspension modification you can do to a car that's either completely stock or modified.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
revo 3vom
It's move over
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGoFast1589 View Post
Camber plates are awesome. A simple and effective modification that helps you optimize your static alignment settings for better performance and tire wear while driving. Most are adjustable which will allow you to tweak your alignment to your specific driving and suspension setup. In my opinion, this is the best suspension modification you can do to a car that's either completely stock or modified.
Do you recommend one over another? The Vorshlag plates look a bit different then the Dinan ones.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do you recommend one over another? The Vorshlag plates look a bit different then the Dinan ones.
What are you using the car for? How aggressive of a driver are you? I had the Ground Control street camber plates and now I'm using the Dinan camber plates. I like the Dinan because they're simple, non-adjustable, durable and noise free although both are good. Although they don't offer as much camber as the Ground Control or Vorshlag plates can give you. The Vorshlags are the most hard core of all the different options available. They're spherical bearing camber plates and offer adjustable camber and caster. I think they're unnecessary for most drivers but I think our cars could use a little caster which is a nice feature.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
revo 3vom
It's move over
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What are you using the car for? How aggressive of a driver are you? I had the Ground Control street camber plates and now I'm using the Dinan camber plates. I like the Dinan because they're simple, non-adjustable, durable and noise free although both are good. Although they don't offer as much camber as the Ground Control or Vorshlag plates can give you. The Vorshlags are the most hard core of all the different options available. They're spherical bearing camber plates and offer adjustable camber and caster. I think they're unnecessary for most drivers but I think our cars could use a little caster which is a nice feature.
Well I have the tune, exhaust, intake, charge pipe, DVs, CDV, SCS and coil overs coming in next week. Do I autocross? No, but I do like to drift and generally drive aggressive. I plan on doing the m3 sway bar to fix the front end slug roll. Other than that not really planning on all of the other m3 suspension stuff. Just want to get the most out of the coil overs and "Do it right" the first time. Hence the question of using the camber plates. What is the noise you are speaking of?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well I have the tune, exhaust, intake, charge pipe, DVs, CDV, SCS and coil overs coming in next week. Do I autocross? No, but I do like to drift and generally drive aggressive. I plan on doing the m3 sway bar to fix the front end slug roll. Other than that not really planning on all of the other m3 suspension stuff. Just want to get the most out of the coil overs and "Do it right" the first time. Hence the question of using the camber plates. What is the noise you are speaking of?
I'd go with the Dinan for a few reasons. First, they're cheaper and simpler. Second, combined with the coilovers you should be able to get around -2 degrees of camber if not more and that's perfectly fine for an aggressively driven street car. Third, they're more durable because they retain the factory strut top. The Vorshlag would need to be rebuilt after awhile and if you drive the car in all weather conditions the Vorshlag will never be as tough as the OEM strut top and Dinan plates. The noise I am referring to comes from replacing the durable rubber strut top mounts with a spherical bearing metal on metal camber plates. It's not BAD but it will make more noise than the factory strut tops. If you go with the Dinan plates you can either reuse the factory strut tops coming from your stock suspension or pick up a new set of strut tops to use with the Dinan plates. I would do it if you have the money and your old suspension is tired, but you certainly don't have to.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #7
revo 3vom
It's move over
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd go with the Dinan for a few reasons. First, they're cheaper and simpler. Second, combined with the coilovers you should be able to get around -2 degrees of camber if not more and that's perfectly fine for an aggressively driven street car. Third, they're more durable because they retain the factory strut top. The Vorshlag would need to be rebuilt after awhile and if you drive the car in all weather conditions the Vorshlag will never be as tough as the OEM strut top and Dinan plates. The noise I am referring to comes from replacing the durable rubber strut top mounts with a spherical bearing metal on metal camber plates. It's not BAD but it will make more noise than the factory strut tops. If you go with the Dinan plates you can either reuse the factory strut tops coming from your stock suspension or pick up a new set of strut tops to use with the Dinan plates. I would do it if you have the money and your old suspension is tired, but you certainly don't have to.
Yeah, I'm getting practically brand new kw v2's. my current setup has just rolled 40k. should my stock rubber strut tops be fine or need replacement?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I'm getting practically brand new kw v2's. my current setup has just rolled 40k. should my stock rubber strut tops be fine or need replacement?
40k is getting there... They'll work just fine, but in another 10,000 or 15,000 miles they'll start getting tired. I'd replace them while they're out. You may want to consider the Ground Control street camber plates as an option that's between the Vorshlag and Dinan plates. Since you should probably replace the strut tops there really isn't much of a savings benefit anymore with going with the Dinan plates as your strut tops are getting older.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
blinded
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I'm faced with a similar decision right now. The consideration that hasn't been mentioned (and the primary one for me) is that camber plates can help fit more tire in the front. However, by several accounts around here, the Dinan ones don't allow enough negative camber to fit wider tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinded View Post
I'm faced with a similar decision right now. The consideration that hasn't been mentioned (and the primary one for me) is that camber plates can help fit more tire in the front. However, by several accounts around here, the Dinan ones don't allow enough negative camber to fit wider tires.
How much camber are you trying to run? With Eibach springs and Bilstein dampers and I was able to dial in -2.5 degrees. If you need more than yeah, you'll need to go with a fully adjustable plate.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #11
blinded
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
How much camber are you trying to run? With Eibach springs and Bilstein dampers and I was able to dial in -2.5 degrees. If you need more than yeah, you'll need to go with a fully adjustable plate.
Yours is an interesting data point. I only want around -2 degrees and don't care about adjustability, but looking around -1 seems to be about the max with the dinan plates. Dinan themselves advertise only -.7 degrees. Were there any tricks for you to get -2.5?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #12
jafo1701
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, 2016 VW GTI

I also have the Dinan camber plates. Easy to install, if you've done suspension work before. I installed them the same time I did the BMW performance springs with Koni sport struts/shocks. I also have the M3 front control arms which gives me -2.1 front camber on both sides. I'm very happy with the suspension set up. Taking the 135i to the track for the first time in 2 weeks.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
I have Ground Control Street camber plates on my car because I need them for track days to get extra grip in corners. I adjust them to -3.4 camber for track and -1.4 camber for street. I would not buy camber plates for street use only. They only make a difference when you're taking a corner fast enough to make the front tires squeal.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
revo 3vom
It's move over
United_States
Rep

With Wide Wheels?

What if im planning on running 10-10.5 rears? Will that warrant the camber plates?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #15
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinded View Post
Yours is an interesting data point. I only want around -2 degrees and don't care about adjustability, but looking around -1 seems to be about the max with the dinan plates. Dinan themselves advertise only -.7 degrees. Were there any tricks for you to get -2.5?
No tricks. We were able to dial in more because of the dampers and springs I am running in addition to the plates. I actually believe it was -2.25, sorry about that.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #16
r0nd3L
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
What if im planning on running 10-10.5 rears? Will that warrant the camber plates?
Camber plates are only for the front.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
revo 3vom
It's move over
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nd3L View Post
Camber plates are only for the front.
Lol. Thanks, I thought they were to adjust the rears on account of i have read you can't adjust the rear. So does this allow for wider wheels in the front?

I have kw v2's coming in next week and want to make sure when I install them they are gold and I'm not left wanting something that will require taking the suspension off again.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #18
r0nd3L
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Lol. Thanks, I thought they were to adjust the rears on account of i have read you can't adjust the rear. So does this allow for wider wheels in the front?

I have kw v2's coming in next week and want to make sure when I install them they are gold and I'm not left wanting something that will require taking the suspension off again.
Rear camber is adjustable from factory.

Camber plates do allow you to fit wider wheels/tires. I'm running 8.5" 255/35 with some room to spare.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #19
revo 3vom
It's move over
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nd3L View Post
Rear camber is adjustable from factory.

Camber plates do allow you to fit wider wheels/tires. I'm running 8.5" 255/35 with some room to spare.
Well, glad I came to ask these questions here. I have been misled by the internet and feel slighted. Now I know how the people that read the bible feel. Too Soon? I'm only kidding.

Thanks for the responses addicts.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #20
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

What are the benefits?
Do you recommend them?

The best benefit is the added and adjustable camber. Some even add caster adjustments. You will also get a better response from your inputs, better road feel and less dynamic camber changes.

Get these only if you are tracking the car. Think twice about these if the car is strictly street driven as there are other ways to get you added camber without camber plates.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:38 AM   #21
revo 3vom
It's move over
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
The best benefit is the added and adjustable camber. Some even add caster adjustments. You will also get a better response from your inputs, better road feel and less dynamic camber changes.

Get these only if you are tracking the car. Think twice about these if the car is strictly street driven as there are other ways to get you added camber without camber plates.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #22
dcaron9999
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M package

Sorry to revive this thread, and pardon the newbie question ..

My 135i is still under warranty. At the track, I have noticed a lot of understeer with stock suspension, and stock camber, even with very sticky rubber (Bridgestone Potenza RE-011 (225/40R18 in the front and 255/35R18's in the back). Also, my tires outside edge is getting shredded.

Can I get my local shop to adjust the camber at a compromise setting suitable for track+street use, or must I get dedicated camber plates, and adjust them before and after lapping events?

Thanks.
2011 X3 35i with M pack + 2011 135i w/6SPMT | 255 square tire setup | Quaife 3.46 LSD | Diff lock down bracket | Bilstein B8+Swift SpecR springs+H&R FSB | CDV delete | BMS Oil Tstat bypass | ER FMIC & CP | N54Tuning DP | GC Street Camber Plates | M3 FCA +guide rods+RSFB's+Tranny mounts | Manzo toe arms | Cobb Stg2 agressive tune | Hawk DTC70 brake pads | RB SS brake pistons | Goodridge SS brake lines | Custom brake cooling ducts
Appreciate 0