BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
matacuero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135I Stage 2 Dinan

Need intelligent suggestions - to improve my 1/4 mile performance

I know Dinan has a bad rap because it's costly. Most say it's a more conservative tune which also honors BMW warranty. For this reason, I had a Stage 2 Dinan software installed on my car. This is the only mod I am running. I have yet to install aftermarket intercooler, Intake, exhaust, etc. It's all stock with exception of the Stage 2 Dinan tune.

Went to Budd's Creek this last friday and ran the following:
3 Runs (this was my first time ever at a track)

1st Run- 13.268 @ 108.02, 60' time was 2.245 and 1/8 mile time was 8.689

2nd Run- 12.984 @ 107.62, 60' time was 2.012 and 1/8 mile time was 8.391

3rd Run- 12.980 @ 108.53, 60 ' time was 2.060 and 1/8 mile time was 8.436

Would like someone to give me their opinion on my performance and also on my Next Mods??. Oh, I did have a set of Toyo R1Rs on the rear wheels.

I am not looking forward on buying the Dinan Intercooler and Intake because they are COSTLY!!! Also my car is at almost 50K so I'm not too worried about the warranty anymore. I am however thinking about upgrading to the Stage 3 tune but would need a larger intercooler (however it doesn't have to be Dinan). For Stage 3 upgrade it only costs approx 350.00 dollars (since I have already bought the Stage 2, you just pay the difference between #2 and #3 stages.

Does anyone have an oppinion on best way to get my car to run a little faster. Lastly, although 60 ft times were worse on my last run, the car was a lot cooler due to the track being down for a crash for about an hour, hence, I had more power on the 3rd run and still manage to beat my 2nd run quarter mile time.

Looking fwd to your suggestions, thx.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
How were your launches? Wheel spin, DCT off, etc.? It seems like a little better launch is definitely obtainable with your current mods and tire setup. I've seen 60ft times in the 1.8 range with stock run flats so if you can manage that kind of 60ft time it should translate to a 12.6/12.7.

With the the N55 motor for bigger gains you might be better off with a jb4 and intercooler. Also depending on how you feel about circumventing smog stuff catless downpipes also provide large gains. I have the Dinan stage 3 on my car with intercooler/oil cooler and while it is definitely quicker than the stage 2, the difference is more apparent on a track than in a straight line. My best time on a vbox was 12.52 with a 1.79 60ft time, so it doesn't seem much different from yours. Once I'm out of warranty I may switch as well, but right now the car is way faster than the suspension and the brakes can handle and I track the car more than I drag race it.

There are a bunch of guys here and on n54 tech that can point you in the right direction with the jb4 if you decide to go that way.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
matacuero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135I Stage 2 Dinan

Thanks for input

Thanks for your input. I own a 2009 so it's the n54 engine. So you had a 12.5 1/4 time with stage 3? That's really good. Can I ask what rear tire/wheel set up you used? I definitely did not reach the potential on my 60 ft times as it was my first night ever racing. I also only did 3 runs as the track closed for a while.

Do you know what kind of HP numbers you are producing onthe dyno with Stage 3, Dinan intercooler and oil cooler? I know the website says 398 at the crank which is definitely a conservative estimate in my opinion.

Stage 2 according to the Dinan site states 378 hp and I think I am pretty close to that without the recommended intercooler and exhaust. Anyways, thanks alot for your input, I will be trying some cheap mods and going right back to the track. I've had my car for a while but I am in love again after my first track run. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Add a JB4, race gas, and meth kit for the dragstrip, and set the JB4 to map 0 to use your Dinan tune for street.

Intercooler and exhaust are good for track days but very low bang for the buck for drag strip.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matacuero View Post
Thanks for your input. I own a 2009 so it's the n54 engine. So you had a 12.5 1/4 time with stage 3? That's really good. Can I ask what rear tire/wheel set up you used? I definitely did not reach the potential on my 60 ft times as it was my first night ever racing. I also only did 3 runs as the track closed for a while.

Do you know what kind of HP numbers you are producing onthe dyno with Stage 3, Dinan intercooler and oil cooler? I know the website says 398 at the crank which is definitely a conservative estimate in my opinion.

Stage 2 according to the Dinan site states 378 hp and I think I am pretty close to that without the recommended intercooler and exhaust. Anyways, thanks alot for your input, I will be trying some cheap mods and going right back to the track. I've had my car for a while but I am in love again after my first track run. Thanks
I haven't dyno'd the car yet, so I'm not sure what it is at the wheels. I run Apex wheels with 235/40/18 265/35/18 and Michelin PSS's. I also have a BMS intake BMW Perf. exhaust and a limited slip differential which helps a bunch as well, so it's not only the Stage 3. That being said that time was probably as good as I can get with my current setup. Any faster I'd have to add a different tune and/or meth, but for the track/autox it is damn fast. I have no problem running identical lap times with 997's and the occasional GT3.

The best investment is probably more seat time.
Appreciate 0