E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > turbo/super charger

11-02-2005, 03:54 PM   #23
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: race car

yeah, turbo is stupid right...until u actually drive a turbo car, ull never wanna be all motor again. its such a rush...spooling, hearing the sweet hissing sound when it blows off....and u gotta admit, intercoolers are raw sex...u never know whats gonna happen with turbo, u dont know wats around the next corner, when the boost controller is gonna malfunction and the boost spikes and you blow up or when its a nice cold october night, and all that fresh air is flowing thru the engine and you feel like you just gained 500 horses over night...damn i miss my turbo
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 04:46 PM   #24
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

umm,
i've test drove some turbo subaru's one time at a test drive event at an airfield

I actually didn't like the cars I drove, legacy had a strange effect of the engine not slowing down for a split second after I'd lifted. Kind of like the opposite of turbo lag I guess

The Wrx's I've driven were both just dogs, no fun at all
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2005, 04:54 PM   #25
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
why not just buy a 330 to start out with?

it's not $6500 difference, it's as low as $2700 if you get xenons logic7 and power seats on the 325.

i love how people won't spend 3-4 grand to get factory power, but 6-7 grand aftermarket sounds OK
Finally someone who believes in both 325/330.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 03:31 PM   #26
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB
Do you have any idea what an intercooler is? There is nothing sexy about them, functional but certainly not sexy.
well FMIC does look good. Ricers even just put on the FMIC to have that F/I look.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 03:44 PM   #27
ward
Major General
Rep

my radiator and evaporator coils are just as sexy as an intercooler!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #28
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
super charger would be better.

I do not know, it saps power so while it has no lag, it takes away from higher speeds of engine, VW is experimenting with a dual system, a supercharger and turbo. First the SC comes on to give mondo low end torque; then as speed pick up, a disconnection thingy (forget what it was called) takes the SC completely off-line - so no sapping of power - and then the turbo takes over giving Saturn rocket boost.

Of course given that it is VW who makes this, the whole system will melt into solid steel after 5 k (jk - I had Audi/VWs before).

Anyway I specifically did not want to get another turbo after my A4 1.8T and that was lauded as one of the best turbos out there. Had enough of the lag (it is there no matter how hard you try to mask it) and the feeling, just before the turbo comes on, that your car is stalling/running out of air.

Displacement rules - have BMW introduce direct injection and ultimately, a completely new in-line 6 engine permitting more displacement. This one is a great engine, but they have reached the end of the development for it because the cylinders are too close together to permit increasing displacement (which also would explain BMWs upcoming "excellent twin-turbo adventure".)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 05:42 PM   #29
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
VW is experimenting with a dual system, a supercharger and turbo. First the SC comes on to give mondo low end torque; then as speed pick up, a disconnection thingy (forget what it was called) takes the SC completely off-line - so no sapping of power - and then the turbo takes over giving Saturn rocket boost.
whoa. that'll be the dream setup for forced induction fanatics.
I wonder how they are going to manage all the heat, and get enough space in the engine bay for both SC and turbo. Not to mention all that weight that will be added in the engine bay.

Just imagine that setup in our E90(say they have "switches" for it). Turn both off, theres your good daily driver E90. Flip a switch, theres your autocross/track ready E90. Flip a different switch, theres your drag racer E90. Turn on both, there goes your............. forget the 335-TT.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #30
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:

it's not $6500 difference, it's as low as $2700 if you get xenons logic7 and power seats on the 325.

i love how people won't spend 3-4 grand to get factory power, but 6-7 grand aftermarket sounds OK
if i got a 330 i would want the same packages. i honestly think the 3 is a waste of money if u dont get navigation and premium package. and i would want sports + xeons.
      11-03-2005, 08:06 PM   #31
spitfire6000
NJ NYC BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325i Monaco/Beige

Quote:

b/c anyone would rather have a modded original e90 3 series than a run of the mill 330i that everyone and their granny has.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 10:07 PM   #32
mc68386
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista
Displacement rules - have BMW introduce direct injection and ultimately, a completely new in-line 6 engine permitting more displacement.
I thought there was a completely new engine in the E90. Are you saying it's obsolete already?
      11-03-2005, 10:15 PM   #33
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire6000
b/c anyone would rather have a modded original e90 3 series than a run of the mill 330i that everyone and their granny has.
I assume you have a heavily modified 325, because it seems you don't want a 325 or a 330i that everyone and their granny has.

Im hurt. I have a 330i that everyone and their granny has.

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2005, 11:41 PM   #34
obLu
Major
Rep
Drives: 330i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
i honestly think the 3 is a waste of money if u dont get navigation and premium package
Damn, when'd BMW turn into Merc? Gonna need a SC just to haul all that weight around.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 09:26 AM   #35
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:

only very young guys think this

everyone else realizes that when you eventually want to sell your car nobody wants your stickers, huge fiberglass spoiler, and obnoxious 20" wheels

the only people that can tell your car has been "modded" aka "resale value ruined" are other adolescent boys. Eveyone else things you're driving around in some grandma's 3 series
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 10:00 AM   #36
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68386
I thought there was a completely new engine in the E90. Are you saying it's obsolete already?

It is reworked and in light of the many new composites (full magnesium casing for block) new in this respect, but the basinc architecture is that of the engine we all love for the past 7-8 years. The last time they really changed the engine completely was for the e46. So its like a completely overhauled new model.

Of course e90Fleet is free to flame me, but this is how I understand the NG6 engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 02:39 PM   #37
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Yeah, KenB, I don't know - seems like only girls can turn me on. Weird how other people get turned on from other inanimate things but hey, different strokes for different folks (thanks, Ward).

Spitfire, modded or not, a BMW is a BMW and EVERYBODY, from great-grandmas to 16 year-olds, have a BMW. If everybody has an Enzo would that make me not want an Enzo? I don't think so.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 03:02 PM   #38
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Lets get you turned on...

you could have at least labeled this NSFW
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #39
3aficionado
Captain
Italy
Rep
Drives: 02 M3/RRover Super

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
only very young guys think this

everyone else realizes that when you eventually want to sell your car nobody wants your stickers, huge fiberglass spoiler, and obnoxious 20" wheels

the only people that can tell your car has been "modded" aka "resale value ruined" are other adolescent boys. Eveyone else things you're driving around in some grandma's 3 series
I must agree with Ward here. A stock car is more sought after and will go for more money at resale. Most dealerships will take off aftermarket parts in order to move the car faster & for more. All the experts in the industry agree with an overly “modded” vehicle not being worth as much as stock.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/aut...ions-best1.asp
This article discusses safe options and not going overboard on customizations. It quotes sources from NADA, Edmunds, JD Power, Kelly Blue Book, Manheim Auctions and Consumer Reports.

"Vehicles that are painted in odd colors and vehicles that have been overly personalized will be desired by a smaller group of people down the road. That will negatively affect their resale value." says Jack R. Nerad, editorial director and executive market analyst for Kelley Blue Book.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 08:14 PM   #40
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lets get you turned on...
Web sarcasm at its best. kudos to you.

I never said raw piece of cheap spearco looking FMIC turns me on.
When its properly installed in a nice car, it looks nice as a whole.

This turns me on.

online communication sucks.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2005, 09:26 PM   #41
kt157
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: jet black 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
wow thats nice!!!

theres already an integra that have both supercharger and turbocharged installed. it runs pretty and produced some shitty numbers.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2005, 02:04 PM   #42
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

thats a nice f/m but that mesh has to go, makes it look ricey.
i dont really wanna jack this site with honda pics, but some of you people talk reckless when someone says something u dont agree with, and its not even a big deal, just cuz i said intercoolers were sexy doesnt mean u have to jump on my back...and yes i know what an intercooler is dickhead...

this is my friends 12 sec turbo si (actually it was just sold 2 weeks ago)...you cant say that the intercooler does not make that car look hot for a honda.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #43
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
mugen style lip looks good..greddy turbo kit?

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2005, 04:36 PM   #44
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

yep,greddy...its not mugen style its a real mugen...he has the mugen name plate but he took it off to get painted ('05 si blue) he just bought a yellow type r yesterday and ordered a jdm type r front from ebay today, with factory hids...i was gonna buy his si, but i couldnt afford it and my 3, plus its a well known car, only car that color so people would have hated on me because it wasnt my work on the car, and id know it was really his...but i loved that car...i used to have a turbo hatch before the 3
Appreciate 0