BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #1
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

Windshield cracked

Last night I was doing about 90 and got a rock chip. Right in the driver's line of sight. I'll call insurance, but are there any real issues I need to know about? I know most people want BMW OEM glass, but why? Does aftermarket glass have leaks or what? Any installation concerns to worry about, assuming someone in the business is reputable?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

My insurance company would not authorize dealer replacement ($1100) due to age and mileage of my car. (2009 with 60K at the time). I had gotten my windshield replaced at my dealer with previous BMWs. They have a glass guy come in and only use BMW OE windshields.

My OE glass (with BMW logo) was made by Pilkington.

Installer offered Saint-Gobain Sekurit OEM (which I googled is starting to supply more OE windshields for BMW).

I noticed the top tint was different than my OE glass (OE was grey, OEM was green/blue). Installer looked around for OEM windshields with grey tint and found none, said they would have to get an OE windshield from the dealer (with BMW logo). They contacted insurance and got them to authorize it.

Is there an issue with OEM windshields? Probably not, proper installation is more important. But personally I've always preferred to get OE glass with BMW logo (and preferably installed at dealer if possible, otherwise a reputable installer).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

jkoral hit it on the head - the OEM glass is not the same as OE. Do whatever you have to in order to get the OE replacement authorized, my window was cracked a while back and they put a non-BMW OEM replacement in, like jkoral said it's not the same tint as well. A few months later the windshield cracked due to stress since it's not a perfect fit and was flexing. Now I have to go through the process all over again.
      01-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #4
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

They leak if installed wrong. The sealant is quick drying. I had better luck bringing the car to the shop.

I read somewhere that Safelite has glass made for them for many cars. I don't think there are enough 1s to justify that so I am betting the glass is on OEM supplier. OEM is different than OES.

If you go on Safelite's website you will see they have about a half dozen windshields for the 1. take it in so they can order what is on the car.
      01-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
They leak if installed wrong. The sealant is quick drying. I had better luck bringing the car to the shop.

I read somewhere that Safelite has glass made for them for many cars. I don't think there are enough 1s to justify that so I am betting the glass is on OEM supplier. OEM is different than OES.

If you go on Safelite's website you will see they have about a half dozen windshields for the 1. take it in so they can order what is on the car.
Thanks giuys, good advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
At least in FL the windshield should be replaced at no cost to you via insurance.

I highly recommend Safelite, I've had great experience with them over the years. Would encourage going to their local office so they can see what you've got and you can talk to them about your concerns. No worries about having them come to you for the install if it's inconvenient to get to their office when the time comes, they typically do great work. Be prepared to let the car sit for a few hours so the sealant can set up properly.

Hope all goes well, and take pics if you can- it's pretty nifty seeing the windshield out!
X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Push for original glass from the dealer, I'm a tech and have seen a lot of issues from sub-par windshield installations. Also with the dealer it's easier to hold them acountable if there is a problem, they will use new clips etc.. for the trim.

Which ever way you go with this make sure they install a new rain sensor or it probably won't work correctly.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 10:05 PM   #8
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I have full glass coverage on my cars, which where I live is a no brainer. You can pretty much expect to get at least one really bad rock chip impact per year here, if you drive in rural areas, most especially in the winter. Shortly after taking delivery of my 135is convertible in early Dec. 2015, I took a direct hit right in my line of sight, in front of the driver's seat. Safeco sent a contractor out to "fix" the rock chip, but the result was sub-par, which the tech said it would be on account of the size and foreign matter left in the windshield.

In the spring I called the insurance company again and was transferred to Safelite. I insisted on BMW glass to be installed at the dealer. They said fine, but I would need to pay for it myself and then send them the bill, which I did. I was fully reimbursed for the ~$1200 replacement within a couple of weeks.

This winter it has been my "utility car," a VW Golf R, which took one for the team. I got nailed in almost the same place, on a mountain road with twists and turns. I don't know anything about VW OEM glass; perhaps, the Safelite glass is superior :-) I took it in to Safelite in Boise and the fix is again, not satisfactory, this time because the crack extends out at least an inch now from the epicenter, which was fixed, and you can see it anytime the sun hits the windshield at the right angle. So, this coming spring I will get that windshield replaced. Not exactly sure what I will ask for, this time, will have to do some research on VW glass first.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

I had to replace mine last year. My insurance company does not pay for windshield replacement, only repair, which was not possible. My first quote was $167 installed. That sounded too low. I discovered that it was made in China and prone to delaminate. So I checked other local sources until I found one that provided Pilkington replacements in two versions, with and without the BMW roundel logo in the corner. The price difference between these two was about $100, even though the installer swore that they were identical products except for the logo. For some reason I cannot explain...I had the logo windshield installed for a total cost of about $400.

Peace... Mack
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 07:40 AM   #10
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

I would definitely try to get OE glass. Had safelite replace the windshield on our Honda van with their suggested replacement glass and the installation seemed ok but the glass was very poor. You could see waves/distortions in the glass.
      01-30-2017, 01:57 PM   #11
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

In my previous Acura TL I had the windshield replaced by Safelite.
It leaked, though only a little but.

Eventually I had them back out to fix it. Whatever they did only made the leak worse.

So they replaced the old windshield with a new one and it worked fine. He told me sometimes the non-OEM windshields just don't fit right regardless on installation.

So now on my 135i I have a small chip not in my field of vision and I'm just living with it until it gets bigger and needs to be fixed.
      01-30-2017, 02:00 PM   #12
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Our body shop will only use OE BMW glass. They have had a lot of problems with the rain sensors using aftermarket glass due to different thicknesses of the glass.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 06:20 AM   #13
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Our body shop will only use OE BMW glass. They have had a lot of problems with the rain sensors using aftermarket glass due to different thicknesses of the glass.
So the insurance company wanted Safelite to see if they could repair the chip. They could but it's right in my eye line so they were going to replace it. I told them I wanted BMW glass (it says Pilkington or something like that). He said they'd have to call insurance to get approval, they may not authorize because of the car's age (2012). I have GEICO, and I've never filed a claim in literally 20 years so I have no idea what they will say.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #14
Mach1er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 128i

Interesting, keep us updated!
      02-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #15
dsocold
Captain
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: f06 640i GC. E82 N54 135i

in ny depends on your insurance no need to use bmw here they just call safe light and charge you more. i use safelight and i request a dealer part and they replace it with a genuine part with the bmw logo from dealer. i have had aftermarket no differnce besides the green bnd on top instead of blackish gray

and btw i have allstate and they ended up approvin the genuine part replacement
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 06:41 PM   #16
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
in ny depends on your insurance no need to use bmw here they just call safe light and charge you more. i use safelight and i request a dealer part and they replace it with a genuine part with the bmw logo from dealer. i have had aftermarket no differnce besides the green bnd on top instead of blackish gray

and btw i have allstate and they ended up approvin the genuine part replacement
Finally got the response from insurance. GEICO approved BMW glass, so I get it installed on Friday. Safelite got it from the dealer, and will install it while I will watch. Decided to take it into the shop rather than in the parking lot, more controlled environment.
Appreciate 0