BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

Reliability of tunes?

Alright so I have a couple questions that I have spent some time searching for and have really not come up with anything.

So to give you some background since I was 16 I have only owned naturally aspirated cars. So this whole turbo thing is a bit new to me. I just bought a 2011 135i DCT about a month ago, and am coming up on the 1200 mile mark. I will only own this car for about the next 3 years and put on approx. 30k miles in that time frame.

So here are my questions.

1) How safe is running procede without a FMIC...is a FMIC necessary to run their 14 psi? Would you rather suggest maybe eurocharged at 11.7psi.

2) Can a FMIC void your warrenty....I only ask because although procede seems pretty easy to install/uninstall a FMIC does not.

3) What suggestions do you have with regards to what I get before getting any sort of tune on the car. I just want to make a tune that I can run reliably. If that means first getting a FMIC and Meth so be it.

Note: I tend to drive fast most of the time that I drive. I redline the car at the very least a couple times a day even if it is only to 60 at a light and then I will end up dropping back to the 45 speed limit. So I am worried that with my driving + a tune I might be putting too much strain on the engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Procede doesn't need a FMIC. It will help keep heatsoak away and will probably let you run a more agressive boost/ignition settings but that's about it. I ran the procede without a FMIC for a long time and plenty others have. Also Procede has auto-tune which will adjust both boost and ignition settings depending on your mods (it's currently getting altered but it'll be back shortly)

I highly doubt anyone will void your warranty if you get a good quality fMIC and it's put in right..anything's possible but i highly doubt it.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
1on135_deal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

y bother at all seriously 60 take the money get R600 bike havefun 0-60 my outlook says
      03-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries932 View Post
Alright so I have a couple questions that I have spent some time searching for and have really not come up with anything.

So to give you some background since I was 16 I have only owned naturally aspirated cars. So this whole turbo thing is a bit new to me. I just bought a 2011 135i DCT about a month ago, and am coming up on the 1200 mile mark. I will only own this car for about the next 3 years and put on approx. 30k miles in that time frame.

1) How safe is running procede without a FMIC...is a FMIC necessary to run their 14 psi? Would you rather suggest maybe eurocharged at 11.7psi.

2) Can a FMIC void your warrenty....I only ask because although procede seems pretty easy to install/uninstall a FMIC does not.

3) What suggestions do you have with regards to what I get before getting any sort of tune on the car. I just want to make a tune that I can run reliably. If that means first getting a FMIC and Meth so be it.

Note: I tend to drive fast most of the time that I drive. I redline the car at the very least a couple times a day even if it is only to 60 at a light and then I will end up dropping back to the 45 speed limit. So I am worried that with my driving + a tune I might be putting too much strain on the engine.
I would also like to know. I plan on tracking the car soon. Should I invest in some other supporting mods if I'm planning on doing race map/meth injection? Larger oil cooler perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
XCC Motorsports
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

This is why I am waiting for a tune from ESS, Cobb, GIAC. I don't want to worry about throwing codes or breaking something, all to have the dealer throw away the warranty. I will be waiting for more tuning solutions to be released. Logically, it makes the most sense to wait and be sure. However, waiting sucks. Overall, I will decide to wait. Some others here may have more experience with these other companies like Vishnu, Burger Tuning, and Eurocharged which allows them to have peace of mind that nothing will go wrong. In the end, I admit I do not know anything about Vishnu, Burger tuning, or Eurocharged. So for me, I will have peace of mind when a few others that are more well-known to me, come out with their solutions.

So to sum it up, everyone has a different view of "reliability" or what is "safe".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries932 View Post

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCC Motorsports View Post
This is why I am waiting for a tune from ESS, Cobb, GIAC. I don't want to worry about throwing codes or breaking something, all to have the dealer throw away the warranty. I will be waiting for more tuning solutions to be released. Logically, it makes the most sense to wait and be sure. However, waiting sucks. Overall, I will decide to wait. Some others here may have more experience with these other companies like Vishnu, Burger Tuning, and Eurocharged which allows them to have peace of mind that nothing will go wrong. In the end, I admit I do not know anything about Vishnu, Burger tuning, or Eurocharged. So for me, I will have peace of mind when a few others that are more well-known to me, come out with their solutions.

So to sum it up, everyone has a different view of "reliability" or what is "safe".
GIAC's solution has been out for quite some time. And, as expected from their long history of Audi solutions, it is flawless.

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
Aries932
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
GIAC's solution has been out for quite some time. And, as expected from their long history of Audi solutions, it is flawless.
We are talking about the N55.
Appreciate 0