BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
SRT-What?
Rep
Drives: 135i

How much boost in reverse ?

Good morning guys,

Something I've been wondering for a while now : how much boost is there in reverse ? and is the traction control activated when being in reverse ?

serious question

thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
bbowers825
Rep

I can't imagine why you might be asking this, but I would assume they limit the amount of boost in reverse so you don't break anything. The last thing you want to do while backing up is boost 10 psi lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

I'm having flashbacks to "VTEC in reverse?" days. Wow.
      02-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Just a speculation, but im wondering if he wants to do burnouts in reverse... like at a drag strip.
      02-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Pretty sure the engine throws out about 20psi the instant it senses you've thrown the car into "R".

i think I read that in the manual

Last edited by cheshirecat79; 02-20-2013 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Colt
Spoolin' & droolin'
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6MT

With JB4 who knows, it could be 17psi
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

This reminds me of a story my Porsche tech friend told me about many moons ago... He was working at a Porsche dealer and they had one of their very first Porsche 930's (911 turbos circa early 1980's) was towed into the dealer with a blown manual trans. Those early turbos had an unique 4 speed manual. The customer "said" they were just backing out of their driveway when the trans make a loud BANG! The trans had to be rebuilt... took my buddy a month or two in waiting for parts and special tools. He was glad to see that car be fixed.

Then... the next week at the dealer... ANOTHER 930 was towed into the shop with the SAME problem! My buddy thought he would be only overhauling transmissions for this new uber Porsche model. Their dealer had only sold a few and this was the second car with a blown gearbox. So... he went about repairing the trans. But halfway into the repair... he noticed something "funny" These two 930's were next door neighbors. He fixed the trans... and when it was ready for the customer to be picked up... he stayed until the customer came to pick up his new 930 with a rebuilt trans.

He wanted to talk to the owner... he told him... "Look I know you and your neighbor both own 930's and BOTH of you had this blown trans problem"... "...but I want to know the REAL STORY as to how the trans blew. Just between me(the tech, my buddy) and you the customer."

And the customer said: "Ok... He is what happened... My neighbor and I had a bet who's car was faster in reverse... we both have a long driveway... SO... we started to race each other IN REVERSE... and as soon as our cars got on boost... we heard a loud BANG and the trans blew a hole in the side of it!! We knew we couldn't take both of our cars into the dealership at once... so first my buddy had his car repaired and them I brought my 930 in."

So... while you could probably pull a decent amount of boost in reverse... You really do not want to do that... bc the ever smart under engineers did not think someone would be so dumb to put that kind of load on the poor reverse bearings inside the trans!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
Pretty sure the engine throws out about 20psi the instance it senses you've thrown the car into "R".

i think I read that in the manual
+1
BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 01:05 PM   #9
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Not sure if you'll get an answer, but they may not have bothered to sense the difference between 1st and reverse. There is almost a limitless list of questions you could ask about engine operation in reverse besides "boost limit."

Given a raw flash image of the ECU, someone could disassemble it and look at the code, but that is not available. Even if there was an image available, you're talking possibly dozens or hundreds of hours of work to get started.

As above, I wouldn't try your luck. The reverse gear in the transmission may not be able to handle high levels of load. If you want to do a burnout, use 1st. It wouldn't be safe to do it in reverse at a drag strip where someone's car or a human is behind you.
      02-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #10
SRT-What?
Rep

Thank you all for the answers.

Don't worry, my goal is not to do burnouts or whatever in reverse (would have to be really dumb..)

My question had two aspects : really know how much boost the PCM would allow in reverse (if anybody had tried !), and see the reaction to the question.

Pretty satisfied of both results !
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

930 story was epic, thank you.
      02-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
Sequence
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 n54 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
This reminds me of a story my Porsche tech friend told me about many moons ago... He was working at a Porsche dealer and they had one of their very first Porsche 930's (911 turbos circa early 1980's) was towed into the dealer with a blown manual trans. Those early turbos had an unique 4 speed manual. The customer "said" they were just backing out of their driveway when the trans make a loud BANG! The trans had to be rebuilt... took my buddy a month or two in waiting for parts and special tools. He was glad to see that car be fixed.

Then... the next week at the dealer... ANOTHER 930 was towed into the shop with the SAME problem! My buddy thought he would be only overhauling transmissions for this new uber Porsche model. Their dealer had only sold a few and this was the second car with a blown gearbox. So... he went about repairing the trans. But halfway into the repair... he noticed something "funny" These two 930's were next door neighbors. He fixed the trans... and when it was ready for the customer to be picked up... he stayed until the customer came to pick up his new 930 with a rebuilt trans.

He wanted to talk to the owner... he told him... "Look I know you and your neighbor both own 930's and BOTH of you had this blown trans problem"... "...but I want to know the REAL STORY as to how the trans blew. Just between me(the tech, my buddy) and you the customer."

And the customer said: "Ok... He is what happened... My neighbor and I had a bet who's car was faster in reverse... we both have a long driveway... SO... we started to race each other IN REVERSE... and as soon as our cars got on boost... we heard a loud BANG and the trans blew a hole in the side of it!! We knew we couldn't take both of our cars into the dealership at once... so first my buddy had his car repaired and them I brought my 930 in."

So... while you could probably pull a decent amount of boost in reverse... You really do not want to do that... bc the ever smart under engineers did not think someone would be so dumb to put that kind of load on the poor reverse bearings inside the trans!

best story i've heard in a while
      02-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

Dude, I love how you have the answer to every question.
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
Curare86
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT-What? View Post
Thank you all for the answers.

Don't worry, my goal is not to do burnouts or whatever in reverse (would have to be really dumb..)

My question had two aspects : really know how much boost the PCM would allow in reverse (if anybody had tried !), and see the reaction to the question.

Pretty satisfied of both results !
why dont you get a tune e.g. jb4 and log a run for us all in reverse?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:00 PM   #15
Exite
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:

That is crazy lol. I've always wondered how fast my cars would be in reverse but never tried it because just some common sense said something bad will happen. What that "bad" would be I never knew until now. Still some how I knew not to do it.

My fear was losing control I didn't even think about the tranny. In reverse it's like you're driving a forklift, and fork lifts don't go 40mph or the turning wheels would be in the "front".
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 01:22 AM   #16
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: When He Has To

Great story Dackelone
Appreciate 0