BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-31-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

Smoke and Catless Downpipes

I recently installed a JB4 G5, running map 2. My mods are in my sig. Previous to installing it i was running without a tune for quite some time. There was a large amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, which most was due to not being tuned.

Once I installed the JB4 the smoke was not as bad but still noticeable. For example when I come to a stop i can see the smoke go past my window. Now I have had it checked for oil leaks and there are none. My concern was the turbos, so I also had BMW run a full diagnostic and they see nothing wrong with the turbos. So my question is how much smoke is normal when running catless downpipes? I can also smell gas through my vents when WOT.
      07-31-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

First:
Can you smell gas when you first start the car?

Second, and your primary question:
The stock primary cats are 600cpi, and the secondary (N54) cats are 200cpi. If you delete the primary cats (catless DPs), you will certainly get some more exhaust smell, or odor. You have removed the majority of the precious metals that react with exhaust fumes and more of the raw exhaust gases are escaping. They stink.

There are many folks who believe doing this and keeping the stock N54 midpipe with cats will eventually lead to secondary cat failure. Mine are fine so far, but we'll see.
      07-31-2015, 06:47 PM   #3
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

My second cat was removed. Basically straight pipes from the downpipe back.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Explains it.
      08-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
BRR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Grey 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabonYetty
I recently installed a JB4 G5, running map 2. My mods are in my sig. Previous to installing it i was running without a tune for quite some time. There was a large amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, which most was due to not being tuned.

Once I installed the JB4 the smoke was not as bad but still noticeable. For example when I come to a stop i can see the smoke go past my window. Now I have had it checked for oil leaks and there are none. My concern was the turbos, so I also had BMW run a full diagnostic and they see nothing wrong with the turbos. So my question is how much smoke is normal when running catless downpipes? I can also smell gas through my vents when WOT.
Oil seals in turbo could be bad causing oil to drip into intercooler and get sucked through the intake system causing white smoke. The cats may have masked the issue. Pull intercooler out and check for oil in tubing.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #6
thetuna
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasLacouture View Post
Oil seals in turbo could be bad causing oil to drip into intercooler and get sucked through the intake system causing white smoke. The cats may have masked the issue. Pull intercooler out and check for oil in tubing.
The entire intake system of these cars get coated with oil.
I would be shocked if he pulled the intercooler and it didn't have oil in it.
Doesn't mean the turbos are leaking (and doesn't rule it out either).
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #7
BRR
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetuna
Quote:
The entire intake system of these cars get coated with oil.
I would be shocked if he pulled the intercooler and it didn't have oil in it.
Doesn't mean the turbos are leaking (and doesn't rule it out either).
I just threw it in there because it happened to me. Oil mist and drops of oil are the difference in that particular case.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've removed the factory FMIC before and there was some oil in the piping, but not much. Same in the intake. Isn't that normal though. It wasn't excessive amount of oil
      08-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #9
BRR
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabonYetty
Quote:
I've removed the factory FMIC before and there was some oil in the piping, but not much. Same in the intake. Isn't that normal though. It wasn't excessive amount of oil
Yep. It's normal for some to be in there. But if there's puddling or large drops of oil that could potentially be the case.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 06:25 PM   #10
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep. It's normal for some to be in there. But if there's puddling or large drops of oil that could potentially be the case.
It's just a coating of oil in the piping same as the Chargepipe which is normal. So it sounds like it may be the turbo seals.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
submarshall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 sDrive28i

I had the same problem. My turbos were toast!!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 07:27 PM   #12
BRR
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by submarshall
I had the same problem. My turbos were toast!!
For a while I raised my oil viscosity and it prevented it. But can't avoid the inevitable.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #13
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I had this sporadically. Still have stock cat, deleted 2nd cats. You can smell it. Oil. Turbos. Getting them replaced now actually.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #14
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

The thing is, my turbos have already been replaced by BMW at 30k miles; turbo failure. I am at 60k miles now. Whats the chances of them going again? And i do not beat on my car, regular maintenance etc. Could it be an exhaust leak? Like the downpipe gaskets.
      08-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #15
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabonYetty View Post
The thing is, my turbos have already been replaced by BMW at 30k miles; turbo failure. I am at 60k miles now. Whats the chances of them going again? And i do not beat on my car, regular maintenance etc. Could it be an exhaust leak? Like the downpipe gaskets.
Easy to check downpipe gaskets. Just look under there, if there's black soot at the midpipe/dp connection, there's a leak.
      08-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #16
rhodesman
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I would get an oil catch can. that's probably a good part of your problem with both oil in the chargepipe and smoke out the tail.

Also I would give your spark plugs a look-see. You may be slightly miss-firing which would be dumping that unburnt fuel into your turbo's/exhaust. Another culprit of smoky exhaust.

Just some more food for thought. Please let us know if you find something out!

Mods: JB4, Trebila Custom tune, FBO, Fuel-It Stg2 LPFP, Berk Street Performance w/ Berk Resonated Midpipes, & lots of little body/OEM+ mods
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #17
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
I would get an oil catch can. that's probably a good part of your problem with both oil in the chargepipe and smoke out the tail.

Also I would give your spark plugs a look-see. You may be slightly miss-firing which would be dumping that unburnt fuel into your turbo's/exhaust. Another culprit of smoky exhaust.

Just some more food for thought. Please let us know if you find something out!
Cool thanks. Spark plugs are next on my list actually.
      08-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #18
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: I have determined it is my turbo seals unfortunately. Biggest giveaway is the high oil consumption. Does anyone know what kind of cost im looking at with having those replaced??
      08-10-2015, 12:43 AM   #19
submarshall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 sDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabonYetty View Post
UPDATE: I have determined it is my turbo seals unfortunately. Biggest giveaway is the high oil consumption. Does anyone know what kind of cost im looking at with having those replaced??
Yep I knew it. That sux you've already had them replaced once. I would but a claim in for a goodwill repair through BMW. You really need to push for that! Hope it all works out for you as I know how much of a pain in the ass blown turbos are...!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2015, 06:51 PM   #20
JabonYetty
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by submarshall View Post
Yep I knew it. That sux you've already had them replaced once. I would but a claim in for a goodwill repair through BMW. You really need to push for that! Hope it all works out for you as I know how much of a pain in the ass blown turbos are...!
Working on having bmw cover it. Expecislly because they have already replaced my turbos.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:11 PM   #21
livnpaintball2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 N54

If you get BMW to cover it with all of your mods you hit the Lotto!
      08-17-2015, 08:12 AM   #22
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by livnpaintball2 View Post
If you get BMW to cover it with all of your mods you hit the Lotto!
Only the downpipes have to go. Dealerships don't try to claim catbacks or intakes kill turbos, but if they see the downpipes they will raise hell.
Appreciate 0