BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-14-2016, 02:55 AM   #1
PG135i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i Convertible

Acceleration Issues 135i

I drive a 2013, 135i. I've been experiencing issues when driving in start-stop traffic. After coming to a complete stop, the car won't accelerate when I put my foot on the gas. The car will just sputters and I have to pump the gas several times or put the gas pedal all the way to the floor before the car will move.

This happens randomly without warning. It's led to several close calls. There have been multiple instances where I've been at complete stop waiting to make a left turn. When I get the opportunity to make the turn, my car sputters as I pull into on-coming traffic. I've had several close calls and barely avoided a serious accident.

I've taken the car to the dealer several times and reported the condition. They'll have one of the technicians test drive my car. Of course, they never find anything wrong with the car. They'll say there is nothing wrong with the car. I've escalated the issue to BMW North America and not heard back from them.

I am curious to know, has anyone else experienced a problem like this? If so, please let me know if and how you were able to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

PG
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 03:26 AM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

I'm sure your car's a DKG. In D mode people have issues with stuff like that. Try putting it in sport / shifting manually when you need good response.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 04:44 AM   #3
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Garage List
There was a fuel pump recall in the UK; possibly the issue?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #4
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

I've had a similar problem. Sometimes when I have to crawl along in slow moving traffic, the engine will surge and then stall. Otherwise, it runs just fine. Since I don't encounter this situation often, I probably won't do anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post
I've had a similar problem. Sometimes when I have to crawl along in slow moving traffic, the engine will surge and then stall. Otherwise, it runs just fine. Since I don't encounter this situation often, I probably won't do anything about it.
Same thing has happened a few times with my car.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

OP, check out this link.

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=559401

Unfortunately it doesn't seem as though there is a true "fix".
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG135i View Post
I drive a 2013, 135i. I've been experiencing issues when driving in start-stop traffic. After coming to a complete stop, the car won't accelerate when I put my foot on the gas. The car will just sputters and I have to pump the gas several times or put the gas pedal all the way to the floor before the car will move.

This happens randomly without warning. It's led to several close calls. There have been multiple instances where I've been at complete stop waiting to make a left turn. When I get the opportunity to make the turn, my car sputters as I pull into on-coming traffic. I've had several close calls and barely avoided a serious accident.

I've taken the car to the dealer several times and reported the condition. They'll have one of the technicians test drive my car. Of course, they never find anything wrong with the car. They'll say there is nothing wrong with the car. I've escalated the issue to BMW North America and not heard back from them.

I am curious to know, has anyone else experienced a problem like this? If so, please let me know if and how you were able to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

PG
I would search for Service bulletin 12-15-14 in these forums. I have a 2012 DCT and had the same exact issues and concerns. After several failed attempts at diagnosing and fixing, this bulletin fixed mine completely. No more surging idle, and what's even more important is that it fixed the terrible, dangerous throttle response delays.
Appreciate 0