BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Anyone install a Ground Control street/school setup?

See topic. I am thinking about taking the plunge on the GC school/street kit in the spring (see http://www.ground-control-store.com/...ion.php?II=772 ). And was wondering if anyone has this setup for their 1 yet?

I am on the fence between this and the KW v2's. Any help would be appreciated!

TIA
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Any ground-control users? Looks like they now have a double adjustable (at least for front) setup with streetable camber plates: http://www.ground-control-store.com/.../II=836/CA=286

This setup includes the M3 rear lower control arms also with M3 style rear shocks.
      02-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #3
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition

I'm also very interested in actual feedback. For D/A front Konis and S/A rears, camber plates and M3 rear control arms, that's a smoking deal!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
IGoFast1589
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

In my opinion, Ground Control makes some of the best suspension products on the market for the money. I personally think that their products are better than what KW and Bilstein have to offer, the customer service is great and everything is more affordably priced. The Koni dampers or Advanced Design single and double adjustable dampers are some of the best on the market, the camber plate design is awesome and to make it even better you get to choose your own spring rates! The dampers are also rebuildable at any authorized Koni service shop for cheap and you could request custom valving for your style/type of driving. The suspension can be or not be anything you want it to be because of the ability to choose the spring rates right off the bat, the great damper design that can also be custom valved, the alignment will be fully adjustable and it's all for a competitive price. How sweet is that?

I don't work for GC or anything, I am just a huge fan of what they bring to the suspension market for all types of cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Eddy@ApexWheels
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, F10 M5

Ground-Control has been around for a very long time, and they make great products. I run their coilover setup and plates on my E30 M3. They are extremely popular among the E30, E36, and E46 crowd.

They are a koni based setup with custom valving, and they produce all their own hardware.
      02-08-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
jah29
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: black E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
There is a guy who is selling M3 front and rear bars who did install GC, but he went back to BMW performance Suspension.

So maybe that's a little more concrete.
that's me. I used performance springs and FSD and went to ground control for a year. Put the FSD back on for a bit while I am parting out the car to sell.

FSD is very good when paired with all the M3 parts. It isn't as high performance as the GC, but it has fewer trade-offs You don't get a more specialized suspension with out giving up something. You don't get a more specialized suspension with out giving up something. I said that twice on purpose. For example camber plates on the kit allow you tune in a lot more front grip, but they will always be noisier than stock. -that being said the GC ones are much quieter than I expected.

I agree completely with everything IGOFAST said. GC is by far the best company to work with. I thinks it's the only place you buy directly from the builder instead of a reseller. They know more about the product, can easily customize it, and work quickly. I don't really like talking on the phone, but I did call GC and talk to Jay. He was so helpful and informative I went with there product even though I could afford more expensive stuff.

other notes:

DA is a little noisier than SA, because of the internal design.

You absolutely will need M3 rear subframe mounts with any aftermarket suspension that raises the rear spring rate.

don't bother with any of this stuff if you haven't changed tires and front control arms first.

shameless plug: My complete and spotless GC kit with about 4k miles on it will be for sale march 1st. Can't post it now because I'm going out of town for three weeks.
Appreciate 0