BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-31-2011, 06:16 AM   #23
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippykaye View Post

I don't mind the steptronic as I sit in traffic a LOT. It's a reasonably intellingent gearbox and isn't too sluggish with shifting- actually I'm quite impressed how quick it is. Whilst it's no DSG/DCT in terms of shift speed, it's smoother than a dual clutch gearbox in day to day driving which I appreciate.
Actually, after driving Stuart's 6AT 135i, I can attest that the auto is BRILLIANT in our 135i's. The shift speed and kick in the back feel when grabbing the next cog is pretty much equivalent to the DSGs. It doesn't feel like a torque converter auto at all when you're really giving it the beans.

However, it also has the smoothness and creamy, undetectable gearchanges when you just want to waft along. I'd take the ZF auto over the dual clutch system any day.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 06:44 AM   #24
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Actually, after driving Stuart's 6AT 135i, I can attest that the auto is BRILLIANT in our 135i's. The shift speed and kick in the back feel when grabbing the next cog is pretty much equivalent to the DSGs. It doesn't feel like a torque converter auto at all when you're really giving it the beans.

However, it also has the smoothness and creamy, undetectable gearchanges when you just want to waft along. I'd take the ZF auto over the dual clutch system any day.
+1 on the steptronic too..... I haven't tried the DCT on a 135i, but I have on a M3, 335i, GTR and its not as good for everyday driving and the juddering on low gears is unbearable. The only good DSG I've came across are from VW, Audis.

If you're interested I'm about to sell my car which is steptronic with pretty much every option with basic mods (PROcede tune, new PSS tyres, black grills and maybe CF diffuser depending on Ian) and probably within your budget too. - sorry shameless plug to since Zuzu did it
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 07:15 AM   #25
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honny View Post
+1 on the steptronic too..... I haven't tried the DCT on a 135i, but I have on a M3, 335i, GTR and its not as good for everyday driving and the juddering on low gears is unbearable. The only good DSG I've came across are from VW, Audis.

If you're interested I'm about to sell my car which is steptronic with pretty much every option with basic mods (PROcede tune, new PSS tyres, black grills and maybe CF diffuser depending on Ian) and probably within your budget too. - sorry shameless plug to since Zuzu did it
No juddering in the slightest in mine. Was 76K with 800klms for the record.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 07:15 AM   #26
thewafflecaust
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Rattling Wastegate

Quote:
Not sure about Audis but I've never been completely satisfied with VWs twin clutch setups.

I had problems with the Passats 6speed DSG never downshifting even when i floored it, VW barely even acknowledged this as a problem.

My current TSIs 7speed dry clutch has a problems with its shims that make it shudder and shake when shifting into second at low revs. I'm now onto my third DSG software revision to try resolve this, but others have had multiple clutch packs replaced, mechatronics units replaced, and the problem persists. Latest update seems to have made it alot better though, so who knows..

God.. come to think of it.. why am i even considering at DCT for the 135...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:02 AM   #27
Honny
Captain
Rep
Drives: Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewafflecaust View Post
Not sure about Audis but I've never been completely satisfied with VWs twin clutch setups.

I had problems with the Passats 6speed DSG never downshifting even when i floored it, VW barely even acknowledged this as a problem.

My current TSIs 7speed dry clutch has a problems with its shims that make it shudder and shake when shifting into second at low revs. I'm now onto my third DSG software revision to try resolve this, but others have had multiple clutch packs replaced, mechatronics units replaced, and the problem persists. Latest update seems to have made it alot better though, so who knows..

God.. come to think of it.. why am i even considering at DCT for the 135...
There you go. DCT are over-rated. If you want a auto get a steptronic or a manual Also replied you msg.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 05:52 PM   #28
B-Moose
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
No, the optical sensor inside the steering wheel that measures your steering angle, which puts your car in TIM YOYO mode . It failed in numerous BMWs including 1ers and X5s. It is an expensive part - someone did say it was a $800 part recently, I am sure it was about $550 on the warranty invoice on my wife's 120D but that was about 2.5 years ago.

PS - make sure LEDs light has been replaced if car is out of warranty.

I had the steering angle sensor fail on my 135i (in warranty)- I was told the job would've cost ~$2,000

For a used 135i, I'd recommend (and have gotten myself) an extended warranty for peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #29
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

I disagree about the DCT. I've driven the M3 and loved it. I'd say it's better than what I've driven in the Golf R32 and GTi. It was incredibly smooth in traffic and just magical banging up and down thru the gears when you're pushing hard.
The old SMG gearbox was shit, but the new model is perfect.
I'd get a DCT M3. Not sure if it's the same unit in the 135i, probably not.

Best bet is walk into a dealership and take one for a spin.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:50 PM   #30
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
I disagree about the DCT. I've driven the M3 and loved it. I'd say it's better than what I've driven in the Golf R32 and GTi. It was incredibly smooth in traffic and just magical banging up and down thru the gears when you're pushing hard.
The old SMG gearbox was shit, but the new model is perfect.
I'd get a DCT M3. Not sure if it's the same unit in the 135i, probably not.

Best bet is walk into a dealership and take one for a spin.
The M3 has the M-DCT, while the 335i and 135i have the standard DCT. Shift times are different I believe.

Seriously, you should try the 6AT. Was totally a non-believer until I gave it a good fang.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 05:07 AM   #31
thewafflecaust
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Soooooo.. update.

Our local dealer sent me an email during the week saying they have a brand spanking new DCT in stock ready to be test driven. So the other half and I headed out to take a drive and to make sure she didn't have any objections before we really delved into the second hand market...

As we were walking back into the dealership to give the keys back, she whispers in my ear "get me this car, get it for me now"..

So now the question has become.. am I getting a good deal?

He's quoted me this:
2011 Pre LCI Coupe
DCT
Front Parking Sensors
Sunroof
"music player" i guess this is for ipod integration?
$80000 drive away (from 91881)

I thought there was still more room to wiggle given the car doesn't have nav, and is pre LCI but the sales guy swore black and blue there was nothing more to give after initially coming down to $81800 and saying there was nothing left.

I'm curious if anyone else has had any recent experience with negotiating price with a dealer.

I'll probably give some of the Sydney dealers a call tomorrow or during the week, see if they can do better. Can anyone recommend any good/better/flexible ones?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 06:09 AM   #32
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Soooooo.. update.

Our local dealer sent me an email during the week saying they have a brand spanking new DCT in stock ready to be test driven. So the other half and I headed out to take a drive and to make sure she didn't have any objections before we really delved into the second hand market...

As we were walking back into the dealership to give the keys back, she whispers in my ear "get me this car, get it for me now"..

So now the question has become.. am I getting a good deal?

He's quoted me this:
2011 Pre LCI Coupe
DCT
Front Parking Sensors
Sunroof
"music player" i guess this is for ipod integration?
$80000 drive away (from 91881)

I thought there was still more room to wiggle given the car doesn't have nav, and is pre LCI but the sales guy swore black and blue there was nothing more to give after initially coming down to $81800 and saying there was nothing left.

I'm curious if anyone else has had any recent experience with negotiating price with a dealer.

I'll probably give some of the Sydney dealers a call tomorrow or during the week, see if they can do better. Can anyone recommend any good/better/flexible ones?
$80k is a good price IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 06:58 AM   #33
thewafflecaust
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
$80k is a good price IMO.

Hmm that's good to hear actually.

I wonder if I can save something on the finance. BMW Finance was offering an excellent rate, but had $900 worth of opening/establishment fees.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #34
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Hi waffle,

I think you can do better than that 80K. 75K is a better figure. It's almost a year old (LCI started being delivered in May)- it'd at a pinch, be a 2011 built car, possibly 2010 (check this).

I was quoted in May, 78K (from 93K) for a 10/2010 built, pre-LCI 2011 complied white 135 DCT, Sunroof, iDrive (Business), Connect Music to Mobile. Floor stock (well, in bond actually). I didn't go ahead as I was still stuck with another car I was trying to sell and in the end, it was out of my budget.

It's now Nov 2011, and the car you're looking at would be similar vintage and it's obviously a demo as you've driven it. It hasn't got iDrive which is a hefty option (more than the connect mobile/front PDC combined).

I think your dealer needs to come down in price a few thousand more....IMHO You're doing them a favour taking that car off their hands. It's obviously been there for ages.

As a comparo, at the same time, I was considering ordering new. I was quoted $82K for a DCT LCI 135, built to order with AW/CR, Sunroof, Innovations pack (iDrive, High Beam Assist, Exterior Mirror Package).
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 07:36 AM   #35
thewafflecaust
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippykaye View Post
Hi waffle,

I think you can do better than that 80K. 75K is a better figure. It's almost a year old (LCI started being delivered in May)- it'd at a pinch, be a 2011 built car, possibly 2010 (check this).

I was quoted in May, 78K (from 93K) for a 10/2010 built, pre-LCI 2011 complied white 135 DCT, Sunroof, iDrive (Business), Connect Music to Mobile. Floor stock (well, in bond actually). I didn't go ahead as I was still stuck with another car I was trying to sell and in the end, it was out of my budget.

It's now Nov 2011, and the car you're looking at would be similar vintage and it's obviously a demo as you've driven it. It hasn't got iDrive which is a hefty option (more than the connect mobile/front PDC combined).

I think your dealer needs to come down in price a few thousand more....IMHO You're doing them a favour taking that car off their hands. It's obviously been there for ages.

As a comparo, at the same time, I was considering ordering new. I was quoted $82K for a DCT LCI 135, built to order with AW/CR, Sunroof, Innovations pack (iDrive, High Beam Assist, Exterior Mirror Package).
Hi!

That's interesting. The car he quoted me wasn't the car they had on the floor.

He quoted me an in bond 2011 pre LCI, i think he said Feb 2011 build but I will confirm with him.

Do you mind me asking which dealer you got that quote from?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 05:24 AM   #36
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Quote:
Hi!

That's interesting. The car he quoted me wasn't the car they had on the floor.

He quoted me an in bond 2011 pre LCI, i think he said Feb 2011 build but I will confirm with him.

Do you mind me asking which dealer you got that quote from?
Sure, it's in Sydney though- Northshore BMW. Though Trivett said they could match the price.

Never hurts to shop around- even if interstate!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #37
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Don't know if this has been mentioned buy Ianf2002's. It's perfect!
      11-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #38
Bimmer_Freak
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

$80K is a good price, however the dealer can sell you one with those options & iDrive (business Nav) for that price.
      11-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #39
thewafflecaust
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Can't buy Ian's, other half wants to drive it too and she cant drive a stick

I'm holding out for a bit better than 80k right now. Chasing up some other dealers to see if any can do me a better price.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 02:18 AM   #40
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Can't buy Ian's, other half wants to drive it too and she cant drive a stick

I'm holding out for a bit better than 80k right now. Chasing up some other dealers to see if any can do me a better price.
What is a stick?

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #41
thewafflecaust
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
What is a stick?
Manual
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #42
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
I think you can do better, maybe 78k? I got mine for 86k, but has Pro Nav and was an order in 2009 so it was a bit harder to get good prices. What colour is it?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 02:46 AM   #43
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

IMO $80 with all goodies, nav etc etc etc (oh yeh don't forget they hit hard for metalic paint too).

Shame the Mrs can't handle a "stick" (for Mr Blonde that is a manually actuated gearbox and an extra foot pedal, new to some I know)... now there are other sticks but we won't go there waffle
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 02:47 AM   #44
thewafflecaust
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
I think you can do better, maybe 78k? I got mine for 86k, but has Pro Nav and was an order in 2009 so it was a bit harder to get good prices. What colour is it?
Trying to get arctic white, but i'll settle for either of the greys.
Appreciate 0