BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG MT M2

AR DP fitment issue??

So I recently purchased a set of catted AR DP's from a fellow member who had them installed on his 09 135i, with seemingly no issues. I got a call from the shop doing the install of the DP's on my car yesterday saying that they had a problem. They are telling me that driver side DP hits the secondary O2 sensor on the passenger DP when moved into position.

I called AR Designs and spoke with the owner and he told me that all of the DP's are made the same and that there should be no issue, especially if they were previously installed on another car. He directed me to their YouTube install video and I passed that info along to the shop doing the install. I am going to shoot a PM over to the member who I got them from just to clarify, but you can tell that they have not been modified in any way. The shop doing the install is very competent. It just seems weird. They said that they could move the O2 bung and that would fix the problem, but first they were going to try something else and hopefully that would work. That was last night and I have not heard back from them yet. Anybody have anything to chime in on? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
kkrikkett
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135

I had the same problem except sensor was welded directly on top of pipe made it extremely difficult to tighten up sensor when installed. Had to install sensor first then install pipe. Yours looks a little to close for comfort. If they could move it I would. They make tons of these pipes and it could have been a Monday or Friday when these were made and they were out on there jig set up and welded it off just a little.

Last edited by kkrikkett; 06-29-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
GermX-85
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i M-sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
So I recently purchased a set of catted AR DP's from a fellow member who had them installed on his 09 135i, with seemingly no issues. I got a call from the shop doing the install of the DP's on my car yesterday saying that they had a problem. They are telling me that driver side DP hits the secondary O2 sensor on the passenger DP when moved into position.

I called AR Designs and spoke with the owner and he told me that all of the DP's are made the same and that there should be no issue, especially if they were previously installed on another car. He directed me to their YouTube install video and I passed that info along to the shop doing the install. I am going to shoot a PM over to the member who I got them from just to clarify, but you can tell that they have not been modified in any way. The shop doing the install is very competent. It just seems weird. They said that they could move the O2 bung and that would fix the problem, but first they were going to try something else and hopefully that would work. That was last night and I have not heard back from them yet. Anybody have anything to chime in on? Any help would be great. Thanks.
you will more then likely have to install the O2 senor first then install the DP. thats what i did when i installed my DP. And if it was me i wouldnt like that shop modify the DP's, its going to be a tight fit but it will fit. your shop just has to play with the fitment a little bit.
      06-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

So I spoke with the shop a little while ago and they said that with some adjustment they should be able to get it to fit. It is going to be "cunt hair close" was the exact terminology. (Their words not mine, sorry for the vulgarity) So hopefully it won't be an issue and there will be no vibrating. I'll let you guys know what happens later.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Well I heard back from the shop and they told me that they got the pipes installed finally. The only problem that is now left to fix, is that with all the fitting and adjustment, the passenger side secondary O2 sensor got damaged and they have to replace it. Unfortunately they won't have it until monday so I will have to wait until then to get the car back.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
n54pete
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e82

that sucks man, least they're finally got it together now, should be great when you get it back. I've got agency power dps sitting im my garage waiting to be installed, hopefully they fit without issues
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Glad to hear it worked out Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin fed View Post
Well I heard back from the shop and they told me that they got the pipes installed finally. The only problem that is now left to fix, is that with all the fitting and adjustment, the passenger side secondary O2 sensor got damaged and they have to replace it. Unfortunately they won't have it until monday so I will have to wait until then to get the car back.
let me know how she feels when you get her back
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
let me know how she feels when you get her back
You know I will.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 07:41 AM   #9
twin fed
Doc Brown
Rep

OK, so I got my car back last night. With some adjustment/tweaking, they got the downpipes to fit and replaced the broken O2 sensor. I really give them credit for not giving up on a job that should have been real simple, SO MAJOR thanks to REAL AUTO DYNAMICS, for their dedication.

As far as what it did for the car. There is definitely a noticeable difference in power and sound. I can really feel the torque and the acceleration is much quicker and pins you into the seat more. This is just with the DP's, I can't wait to install the COBB Stage 2+FMIC tune. I have it all ready to go I just have to install it. Unfortunately with this Northeast crap weather we are having I won't be able to experience the full extent of the car for a little while.

Appreciate 0