BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-31-2008, 03:14 PM   #1
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Help me with 135i future/financial ???

First, I got rid of a bunch of payments at the begining of this year and was thinking of getting a 135i. However, then I decided with the money that freed up it was best to pay down my debt, which I have been doing. I don't have to have the latest greatest right now.

However, I'm concerned with the ecconomic outlook for the 1er. Production has already been cut. The Dollar will continue to fall. Who knows how the credit industry will go. My point is that if I wait until the end of the year, a 135i might be beyond my grasp. Surely they will be forced to raise prices at some point.

I'm not rich, but I'm not poor. The 135i is right at my limit of what I want to pay for a car, not what I can afford. While paying down my debt is prudent, I'm wondering if it is going to be at the expense of a 135i. Any thoughts???
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
Metallic135i
Private
Rep
Drives:

besides the financial aspect, bmw is artificially keeping the price high with leases and selling, for the most part, at msrp or above. I think once the "exclusivity" factor wears off in a year or so, the price might not necessarily come down, but lsd might be included and/or you'll have more room for negotiation, making your monthly payments lower....just my.02
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

I suspect BMW will have to do a price increase effective with the '09 models (10/08).
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I think you've answered your own question already. Personally, I don't like going into debt on a car, it's inevitable that you'll end up underwater.

I wouldn't worry about the deal you can get. BMW sales are steadily dropping with the economy, and you should be able to get a better deal in 8-12 months when they're REALLY struggling.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #5
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

I expected to get a bunch of guys telling me to "just do it".:biggrin:

I think it is valid to say that any price increase would at least offset the high prices I would have to pay now. The begining of the year is good for me. Lot's of pay outs and performance pay. If I wait till next year, barring anything terrible, I will be able to have the 1 and peace of mind with much less debt. I could have it now, but as usual it will cost a lot more in the end.

My biggest fear is that they turn out to be a huge sucsess and with the economy BMW keeps milking them for all they are worth. I don't care if they are a big success, I just want one. It will suck if 100,000 other people have the same idea. That's more of the unknown that I wonder about.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
pumaknight
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Currently Seat Leon Cupra FR

Welcome to the sane addicts forum - the one site in the web that will shout about the merits of the 1er but will still be able to give good advice!!

My adivce, is pay off debt first - it will make owning the 1er much more satisfying in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 05:23 PM   #7
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumaknight View Post
Welcome to the sane addicts forum - the one site in the web that will shout about the merits of the 1er but will still be able to give good advice!!

My adivce, is pay off debt first - it will make owning the 1er much more satisfying in the long run.
We've done well this year and my performance pay was better than expected. Every cent has gone to paying off our stuff. I so enjoy watching that number go down. We are not even close to the American average, we just can't stand carrying debt. More than half will be gone by years end.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Just so everyone is clear on this. I went for a test drive last week.

Big mistake.

I so want one!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 06:07 PM   #9
FreeBMW.net
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i

I'll be the first then....

JUST DO IT!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I wouldn't worry about the economy or whether or not BMW will raise prices next year. Just buy the car when it works for you personally.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 05:25 AM   #11
pumaknight
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Currently Seat Leon Cupra FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
We've done well this year and my performance pay was better than expected. Every cent has gone to paying off our stuff. I so enjoy watching that number go down. We are not even close to the American average, we just can't stand carrying debt. More than half will be gone by years end.
Sounds like you are on the right track then - to be honest, debt is a personal thing - you will know in your heart and mind whether your debt level is at the right level.

Example 1: I bought the 1er on lease, not for cash, although I have more than enough cash to buy it outright - but leasing made more sense to me. So technically I am in debt, but not really, cos I can cover the debt with cash if I choose.

Example 2: For others, they do not have the cash in the bank but still lease - the monthly is low enough to not impact their quality of life, mortgage and other life critical things - so to them their debt is manageable and okay.

Whatever your decision, you will enjoy this car no end - it is a stunning car. And either way, you will always be welcome here.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #12
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Out of interest, what is the average leasing interest rates in the US?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 06:06 AM   #13
MastaMind
I like beer
Rep
Drives: AW 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerman View Post
If I wait till next year, barring anything terrible, I will be able to have the 1 and peace of mind with much less debt. I could have it now, but as usual it will cost a lot more in the end.
Just wait until you're secure enough to purchase the 135 without worrying about finances. It might be tough to do, but it will be worth it in the end, especially if you can pay down your debt. A small sacrifice now can make a huge difference later.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 11:46 AM   #14
Powerman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for talking me off the ledge guys.:biggrin:

I really am excited about the 1. I have never bought a new car off the lot. All my life I have wanted a BMW. Not because of the status, but because of what they are. I was getting to the point of looking at E46 M3s and then the N54 came out. I have never been so excited about any car being released as I have about the 135i. It's easy to get caught up in the buzz here.

However, I have never been a early adopter of anything. Patience is not my strong suit, but on big ticket stuff I am quite practical. RWD sports coupes don't move very well here in Colorado. Waiting till Winter just might get me a good deal on a 09.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #15
MIGCAL
Rep
Drives:

Your doing the right thing, you will appreciate the car more when you don't have to worry about the payments along with personal dept.

I believe once you fall into your 135i in the near future, you will have it for a long time, and always keep going back to BMW. I know I have! This will be my third.
Appreciate 0