BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Question About to buy this 135i, opinions?

Hey all, sorry for my first post to be one so blatantly needy. I haven't had the time to do my usual lurking+fact finding before my first foray into these forums. That being said:

I work at a Dodge Dealership in North Carolina, and I currently drive an 08 Honda Civic with 37k miles. I just traded a customer out of a black 2008 BMW 135i with 34k miles for about 20k. So, as an employee, I get to buy the bad boy for about 22k, out the door. Now, having done some token research via Google, Car and Driver, and Edmunds, and having spoken with the customer, I have a few questions:

He put a catback exhaust system in it, but, more worringly, he added a JuiceBox(?) system in it. Went over the rudimentaries of pressing the gas several times, up to 9, before starting, to indicate the "step", or the power of the boost. He also added Methanol, in a tank, in the trunk. Said that after step 5, I'd be forced to use the methanol, but from steps 1-4, I'd be fine running without it. Also, he said he concocted his own methanol from a mixture of cold-temperature wiper fluid and some other brand of aftermarket fuel boost to save money, which sounds dubious to me.

Basically, question is, are there any tips or glaring hazards/precautions with this sort of boost system? And with mixing your own methanol? A coworker also told me that I'd be forced to use the methanol no matter what level of boost I was in, and if I ran out, I'd be screwed.

Alarm bells!

In any case, I've found out in my experience, the best advice on issues of this nature come from forums such as this. So, if you guys and girls would be so very kind to shed some light on these couple of concerns I have, I'd be much obliged.

I'm buying it this evening once my wife gets off of work, unless something goes horribly wrong.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I will be here to stay for much longer.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

It's a 2008 so off warranty I presume? There is always a risk of engine or turbo repairs with someone running it on their own boosted fuel mixture. And my guess is that the previous owner wasn't just driving it to work every day. So there could be a lot of other suspect areas of the car like transmission, brakes and suspension. Personally I would only buy this car fully understanding that I could be looking at expensive repairs down the road. But if you are ok with that, go for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Exite
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I'm not that knowledgeable but I'll answer a few things. It sounds like the car has a BMS JB4 in it. Which he is right it has different maps and not all maps require the meth injection. The maps start at 0 (stock),1 (intake and maybe exhaust),2,3 so on and are based off what other mods are on the car. So the higher the map the more supporting mods you need to run them, and obviously the more +hp you get.

If he was running meth he was probably pushing pretty decent power; maybe 330+whp? Wonder if the intercooler has been upgraded as well. With the meth injection it could mean the car has other mods too like dps, mid pipe, some sort of axle back, etc… It’s possible the tubros could have a little more wear than normal.

It could be a gamble, or it could be a great deal. If you're good with a wrench some of the common repairs/maintenance you can do yourself. Mostly it's the computer/sensor shit that you need a shop or dealer for.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

One thing to consider,
Take the cost of any part on your Honda Civic and multiply by 8 for the equivalent cost of the same BMW part.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the timely replies! I just finished transferring my things from the Civic to the BMW. A little bit emotional! I loved that little Civic coupe, but it was time to move on (and grab a sweet deal on the very car I've been eyeing!)

I'll reply in order:

Quote:
It's a 2008 so off warranty I presume? There is always a risk of engine or turbo repairs with someone running it on their own boosted fuel mixture. And my guess is that the previous owner wasn't just driving it to work every day. So there could be a lot of other suspect areas of the car like transmission, brakes and suspension. Personally I would only buy this car fully understanding that I could be looking at expensive repairs down the road. But if you are ok with that, go for it.

Its actually still under warranty until this November, which is convenient. I went ahead and purchased an extended warranty pushing it out until the car has about 80k miles.

Quote:
I'm not that knowledgeable but I'll answer a few things. It sounds like the car has a BMS JB4 in it. Which he is right it has different maps and not all maps require the meth injection. The maps start at 0 (stock),1 (intake and maybe exhaust),2,3 so on and are based off what other mods are on the car. So the higher the map the more supporting mods you need to run them, and obviously the more +hp you get.

If he was running meth he was probably pushing pretty decent power; maybe 330+whp? Wonder if the intercooler has been upgraded as well. With the meth injection it could mean the car has other mods too like dps, mid pipe, some sort of axle back, etc… It’s possible the tubros could have a little more wear than normal.

It could be a gamble, or it could be a great deal. If you're good with a wrench some of the common repairs/maintenance you can do yourself. Mostly it's the computer/sensor shit that you need a shop or dealer for.
I had my mechanics take a look at it, one that used to work at the BMW dealership down the road who is conveniently certified. The only issues he found were that one tire was different than the rest, which was pretty obvious, and that there was some curbing damage on the lip of the rims, which is cosmetic. Everything else checked out during the 120 pt inspection, and having all the fluids changed.

He does have an axle back, and dual cold air intakes. He claimed it dyno'd at 340ish on step 4. I'm hoping the turbos run well, banking on the fact that the miles are low... :/

Quote:
One thing to consider,
Take the cost of any part on your Honda Civic and multiply by 8 for the equivalent cost of the same BMW part.
I bought the car when I was an E2 in the military, since then I've gone through a lifestyle change, I'd say, haha. I think the thrill of the ride is worth the added cost in parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

OK, well it's a good thing that it is still under warranty, however the modifications that you describe will most likely put some question about whether or not warranty on the engine and turbos would be honored. I might be tempted to remove the fuel mods, especially if you ever take it into a dealer. Some people also remove the JB when they take it in.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Ammonia
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
OK, well it's a good thing that it is still under warranty, however the modifications that you describe will most likely put some question about whether or not warranty on the engine and turbos would be honored. I might be tempted to remove the fuel mods, especially if you ever take it into a dealer. Some people also remove the JB when they take it in.
Much thanks for the warning, I will definitely do that if I end up having to utilize the warranty!

Just took it on some back roads. Hit about 120 without even noticing it haha I think I'd get myself in trouble someday. The 135 has rekindled a love for driving in me... Love it. Now to find other owners in the area...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
rathissolid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 6speed

Ok ill see if i can help out a little, being i also have a. 08

1. If you have to push the gas down to change maps your running a jb3 not 4

2 a good idea would be to find out exactly what mods you are running since meth on our cars is somewhat easy with the jb3-jb4,BUT you should still be aware of what your doing to your car since you need spicific mods to run different maps

3 make sure you have aftermarket dps ( im sure you do ) if you are running over map 5

4 now that you got the car, congrats!! You are mostlikely fully bolted And for 22k is a great deal. Just be carefull cuz you are prob closer to the 400whp range the. The 330 you stated b4

If you need any info feel free to pm me, im no expert by any means but i should be able to help you with any basic questions you have, and start readin arround on here you will find lots of good info... Good luck !
Appreciate 0