BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #1
AlanD
Registered
Rep
Drives: Looking at 1M

Looking at a 1M - some questions!

Hi guys

im new here so some of my questions might be a little silly.

i want to buy a 1m. just passed my probation at work at got a nice payrise. im still at home with mum and dad but i can afford to finance a 1m on about 1800 a month fully leased for 4 years.

i figure its a good way to teach myself some financial control before getting into the housing market (esp considering the big crash thats mean to happen soon).

so a few questions:
- are they good on fuel economy? i mean i know it's not gonna be a Prius but I'd like to know if its actually liveable on fuel
- id like to do a few modderfications like a black roof and maybe a muffler or something - are they expensive too?
- if i do my own oil changes will i lose any warranty? i heard bmw service is really expensive
- any common issues i need to consider/look out for/ask about?

thanks so much guys,
Alan
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD View Post
Hi guys

i want to buy a 1m. just passed my probation at work at got a nice payrise. im still at home with mum and dad but i can afford to finance a 1m on about 1800 a month fully leased for 4 years.

i figure its a good way to teach myself some financial control before getting into the housing market (esp considering the big crash thats mean to happen soon).

so a few questions:
- are they good on fuel economy? i mean i know it's not gonna be a Prius but I'd like to know if its actually liveable on fuel
- id like to do a few modderfications like a black roof and maybe a muffler or something - are they expensive too?
- if i do my own oil changes will i lose any warranty? i heard bmw service is really expensive

thanks so much guys,
Alan
Hey Alan.

Re fuel economy. For the power it makes I think it's very economical. On the highway it's cheap to run too.
Re mods - black roof probably around $350. Exhausts can be expensive depending on brand, maybe look at a used one or change different sections depending on what you want.
Re oil changes - yes. But I don't think anyone would tell the dealer.
Re common issues - there's a few small issues - plugs, vanos solenoids, injectors, pumps etc. But fairly inexpensive in the big scheme of things. The motor is bullet proof.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 08:51 PM   #3
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Quote:
Hi guys
before getting into the housing market (esp considering the big crash thats mean to happen soon).
You may be waiting a long time!
In regards to investments, I am of the opinion that it is best to get in as early as possible
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 01:06 AM   #4
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Hi guys

so a few questions:

thanks so much guys,
Alan
Get a house before you get a car.

Economy is not as good as diesels.

Define expensive...

No, but 1Ms are out of warranty anyway.

No, but we always will wonder if our fuel pump will die.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 07:20 AM   #5
MPoweRo
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 ZCP LCI2 M, G05 X5 40i

Can I just say if you're concerned about costs associated with fuel use then a second hand high performance European car is not what you're looking for. Plenty of time to buy nice cars in the future. Buy within your means and prioritise funding something that will appreciate, like realestate or shares.

M4 Times (PSC2): Sandown: 1.21.76 Winton:
1M Times (PSC2):
Phillip Island: 1.53.09 Sandown: 1.24.03 Calder Park: 1.07.31 Winton: 1.36.71
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
racer_x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: When He Has To

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro1M View Post
Can I just say if you're concerned about costs associated with fuel use then a second hand high performance European car is not what you're looking for. Plenty of time to buy nice cars in the future. Buy within your means and prioritise funding something that will appreciate, like realestate or shares.
Best financial advice you'll get.

Buy toys with money you don't need.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 12:29 AM   #7
COZ01M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I get roughly 360 - 400kms out of a tank. I do a lot of stop start driving. Better economy on the free ways.

No issues to report and nearly 3 years old.

Easy to mod.

I get my servicing free but change the oil every 7 - 10,000kms and BMW is none the wiser for it.

Definitely buy a house first, then you have the freedom to use the equity in it to enjoy your toys.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 09:46 PM   #8
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
No, but 1Ms are out of warranty anyway.
I still have 2 months left on mine