BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: I ride the bus.

Just moved from a my 135 to a 335 for a bit

My 135 is in for service for the next few days. In the meantime I have an 08 335i sedan, step, idrive, non sport pkg so basically I am the ultimate comparison guy as I am one of the few to spend a decent amount of time in both cars and can compare

old vs new idrive
step vs manual
3 vs 1
sport vs non sport
sedan vs coupe
CA vs regular

So if anyone has any questions let me know. Its pretty hard to get an unbiased opinion on any of the above issues but I do have hands on experiences with both for the time being.

6MT / ZPP / ZSP / Nav / Prem. Hi-Fi / Sirius / CA / Heated Seats (you keep the ski bag) / Park Dist. / HD Radio (because it was free)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
doveer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: PLAID EZ

I see you're from NYC as am I.

Just wondering on your thoughts about driving through traffic with a step as opposed to the stick.

Also, how do you feel about the handling difference between the 1 and 3?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It all depends on the traffic. If you are in the regular hwy slowdown where traffic was supposed to be going 50+ but is now slow rolling at 15 then you are fine with the manual. You can keep it in 2nd and just coast on and off the throttle without hitting the clutch unless there is a big stop. It isn't ideal but you won't be tearing your hair out.

In traffic that just stops dead the car is in neutral and if it is flat your foot is off the brake so in this case you are more relaxed than in the step.

In heavy stop and go traffic the manual becomes a bit of a pain. You will be on the clutch for more than you would care to, the engine won't sound terribly happy running revs in 1st or 2nd like that. Or you can go into neutral and risk a jerk cutting into your lane in the delay it takes to get yourself moving once traffic starts again.

Step in traffic is no different than any other auto you have ever owned as performance is not in the equation when you are sitting in crosstown Hell.

Basically the manual is good to go in all but the worst traffic. Worst traffic meaning you are not getting into work/getting home anywhere near on time.

As for handling

The 135 wins hands down over the 335 as I am driving it. BUT, the 3 has standard suspension and BMW OEM M+S tires. I am on Blizzak LM-22's though and still the 3 is getting killed. Even my winters make my 1 feel great in the corners. Tight sweeps in the 3 have the car pushing to the outside of the corner while my 1 is tight. The non sport suspension in the 335 is really hurting it in this respect. I will be trying more twistys to compare further. I want to give the 3 more chances to shine.

6MT / ZPP / ZSP / Nav / Prem. Hi-Fi / Sirius / CA / Heated Seats (you keep the ski bag) / Park Dist. / HD Radio (because it was free)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #4
doveer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: PLAID EZ

Thanks for the reply, I'm debating on the step or manual. Just wanted some insight from somebody that goes through the traffic that I do daily. :smile:

Where in NYC are you located?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Does the 3 absorb road imperfections better?
      01-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #6
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

Do both cars have iPod interface? Any improvements in 1?
      01-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #7
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The 3 with all season RFTs seems comparable as far as road imperfections as my 135 with non RFT 17in winter tires.

Neither car has the iPod interface. I am probably the only person in the USA who does not like iPods.

On another note, manual shifting the Step gear selector is kind of a pain after awhile.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
x97Melbourne
Molar World
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i Coupe

i too had an automatic 335i loaner (see previous post)...
"335iA Loaner"
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20406
i was looking forward to driving the automatic. but like you point out, the "manual" function of the stept is a pain. i tried it once or twice and really didn't use it the rest of the day. i like my choice of a manual especially after driving the automatic for a whole day.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #9
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT II View Post
It all depends on the traffic. If you are in the regular hwy slowdown where traffic was supposed to be going 50+ but is now slow rolling at 15 then you are fine with the manual. You can keep it in 2nd and just coast on and off the throttle without hitting the clutch unless there is a big stop. It isn't ideal but you won't be tearing your hair out.

In traffic that just stops dead the car is in neutral and if it is flat your foot is off the brake so in this case you are more relaxed than in the step.

In heavy stop and go traffic the manual becomes a bit of a pain. You will be on the clutch for more than you would care to, the engine won't sound terribly happy running revs in 1st or 2nd like that. Or you can go into neutral and risk a jerk cutting into your lane in the delay it takes to get yourself moving once traffic starts again.

Step in traffic is no different than any other auto you have ever owned as performance is not in the equation when you are sitting in crosstown Hell.

Basically the manual is good to go in all but the worst traffic. Worst traffic meaning you are not getting into work/getting home anywhere near on time.

As for handling

The 135 wins hands down over the 335 as I am driving it. BUT, the 3 has standard suspension and BMW OEM M+S tires. I am on Blizzak LM-22's though and still the 3 is getting killed. Even my winters make my 1 feel great in the corners. Tight sweeps in the 3 have the car pushing to the outside of the corner while my 1 is tight. The non sport suspension in the 335 is really hurting it in this respect. I will be trying more twistys to compare further. I want to give the 3 more chances to shine.
Great review on the step vs. man for us NYC people.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #10
Bruck
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT Alpine White

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I just never understood how someone else's opinion of a transmission choice really helps.

Driving manual for me adds so much to the fun of driving a car, that I would never consider automatic/step. My last car I drove manual for 7 years and never wished I had tiptronic. Not even when I sat in 8hrs of traffic on the second week that I got the car. Super stop and go traffic is not always fun in manual, when its for a very long time like 8 hrs, your foot can get tired.

Otherwise i just find shifting to be something to do while sitting in traffic. I understand that not everyone finds the fun in manual that I do, and not everyone has the patience to drive a manual car every day.... but no one can tell you the answer to this question.

Shadow Blue MK6 GTI 4-Dr DSG
Euro OEM Reverse Camera |
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:04 PM   #11
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

There are countries where no cars with auto. For example India and there traffic is horrible, however nobody complains because manual is superior to any auto in any traffic conditions.
      01-18-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Let's not make this an auto vs. manual thing exclusively. Anyone have other questions while I still have the car?

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
The 3 with all season RFTs seems comparable as far as road imperfections as my 135 with non RFT 17in winter tires.

Neither car has the iPod interface. I am probably the only person in the USA who does not like iPods.

On another note, manual shifting the Step gear selector is kind of a pain after awhile.
Ahh thanks for answering. No iPod??!?!? I use mine everyday. Its amazing how BMW dosent include that as standard. I mean come on! Is there even an aux input?
      01-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #14
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
Ahh thanks for answering. No iPod??!?!? I use mine everyday. Its amazing how BMW dosent include that as standard. I mean come on! Is there even an aux input?

Sure, all BMWs come with the regular AUX. I use the AUX sometimes to listen to stored content on my portable xm radio. I don't like using the ipod interface because I have 100gb of music and its just too much to deal with on the road. The hard drive on my 135 works well for a few tunes. I love my Sirius and am really missing it in the loaner.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #15
RootCanal05
Clutch Rider
Rep
Drives: 335i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:

I'm in NYC as well and have a MT 135 and it's fine for me. I agree with the above. Friends and family tried to talk me out of getting the MT and after 2 months of driving my 1er if I had went with the AT, I'd be regretting it. Bottom line, get what YOU want, so there's no regrets later.
      01-19-2009, 03:07 AM   #16
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
What's road and tyre noise like between the two?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #17
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

What's your impression of the "regular" seats on the 335i vs. the 1er's sport seats?
Tom
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #18
freshwhite335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
there really is no comparison between a 335 with the sport pack and one without. its a totally different car.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #19
GMT II
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepy Coupe View Post
What's road and tyre noise like between the two?
Comparable between my snow non-RFTs and the M+S RFTs on the 335. I have yet to drive on the 1 series performance rubber.

The non sport seats suck. They aren't uncomfortable but they are ugly. Very little side bolster in the back and a totally flat butt pad. That makes for an ugly seat that will have you swinging around on tight corners. The contoured back seats in the 335 sedan are much nicer looking and better to sit in. In fact, the rear seats in the sedan are good places to be for sure. Nice arm rest, cup holders that pop out, air vents and lights. Good stuff in case anyone needs to moonlight as a chauffeur. The 1 was not meant for passengers though and I don't carry any so who cares.

The steptronic is sort of getting on my nerves. It is way better than most autos but in DS it refuses to go into 6th unless I select it manually. The actual shifter is super stiff. However, aside from the 6th gear thing the transmission shifts by iteslf in DS roughly when I would. Also, I'll bet paddles would be swell.

It snowed a bit today and I was also none too pleased with the M+S. BMW NA just got a data dump from my hard drive and hopefully they can figure out what's what so I can get my baby back ASAP.

Appreciate 0