BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
arisonford
Rep
Drives:

SSK short shift kit installed today

Cost: ~750

~575
~180 labor (1.5 hrs)
Took 10% (parts) off for both install and purchase at the same dealership.

Service/ Installation experience:

Dropped car off at 10am. given a 2008 528xi (more about this car in my next post). called at 4pm to pick up the car. car arrived washed and cleaner than i brought it in.

Visual opinion of the new shift knob and boot: I LIKE IT! a lot have said they prefer the M knob, and i agree that it is a better FEELING shift knob, but the look of the performance knob is very clean. goes extremely well with my interior options (glacier aluminum and coral leather) and i do not plan on changing back

Driving impressions: right off the bat one can tell the new shifter is tighter. the 1-2-3-4 shifts are reduced somewhat and the R-5-6 shifts are much tighter. after a few minutes of driving i began to appreciate the new found weight in the shifter. it was tougher (more work, heavier etc) to engage a gear from neutral or while shifting, but the precision was there (i knew it was 2nd not 4th and 4th not 6th etc). my biggest gripe with the stock shifter was the lack of precision. while it is extremely smooth and easy to shift, i always second guessed myself when shifting spiritedly. however with the installation of the SSK the gear box is much more intuitive.

THAT BEING SAID, i think, as many have posted, this is the feeling bmw should have created with the stock shifter. but imho this car didn't need shorter shifts, just cleaner ones!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
cqq99
I love spring!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135

I had one put in before time of delivery and I LOVE it as well!

On my test drive I felt that it was not precise as you said but I also wanted it SHORTER!

My last 6 speed was a S2000 which has one of the shortest throws I have ever felt.

The $700 I spent was WELL worth it!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Even with out a short shifter kit this technique (below) is a very good way to be sure you have not down shifted into a low gear during up shifting which could cause over-revving the engine. I find this technique to not only help in miss shifting but definitely helps in making quicker shifts too.

Because of the shorter shifts, some are concerned that they may miss a shift, over-rev the engine and cause damage.
While this occurs on occasion without short shift kits installed, there are methods which can prevent it. Since missed shifts are purely driver error, let's address the driver!

Shifting Techniques Tutorial

The following pictures and notes are meant as a tip for people interested in preventing missed gears when driving in a spirited fashion. UUC Motorwerks claims no responsibility to it's accuracy nor effectiveness as it is meant to serve as an opinion which works.
Now that we have that settled, on with our lesson.

Starting in 1st gear....

Going to 2nd, pull straight back

Going into 3rd from 2nd, backhand the shifter knob and push away from you...

Pulling into 4th from 3rd, the shifter knob is still being backhanded...

Going into 5th from 4th is similar to going into 3rd from 2nd, Still backhanding it, pushing away from you.

Downshifting from 5th to 4th, you continue to BACKHAND the shifter knob. Don't hold it like you're going from 1st to 2nd (picture 2) as this is how people get into trouble.

Push straight forward to move from 4th to 3rd.

Going into 2nd from 3rd. Note that going into 2nd from 1st or 3rd gear has a specific hand position, different from going into 4th gear from 3rd or 5th. This is the key to this technique as your hand/brain will associate 2nd and 4th gear with different hand positions.
Good luck with this new technique. After a few days of driving, you'll see this is a very natural manner of shifting. As it may be awkward at first, you'll see that it has its merits when you start to drive faster. The motions in the pictures above work for any shifter, but if your shifter has excessive notchiness or requires high effort, this technique may not be as easy to emulate. If your shifter falls into the "high effort very notchy" category, please go to our application page and get yourself a UUC kit with ERK!
      01-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
AchtungF80
Brigadier General
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, '17 G30

Garage List
2008 135is  [9.50]
2010 Cooper S  [10.00]
1991 318is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by arisonford View Post
Cost: ~750

~575
~180 labor (1.5 hrs)
Took 10% (parts) off for both install and purchase at the same dealership.

Service/ Installation experience:

Dropped car off at 10am. given a 2008 528xi (more about this car in my next post). called at 4pm to pick up the car. car arrived washed and cleaner than i brought it in.

Visual opinion of the new shift knob and boot: I LIKE IT! a lot have said they prefer the M knob, and i agree that it is a better FEELING shift knob, but the look of the performance knob is very clean. goes extremely well with my interior options (glacier aluminum and coral leather) and i do not plan on changing back

Driving impressions: right off the bat one can tell the new shifter is tighter. the 1-2-3-4 shifts are reduced somewhat and the R-5-6 shifts are much tighter. after a few minutes of driving i began to appreciate the new found weight in the shifter. it was tougher (more work, heavier etc) to engage a gear from neutral or while shifting, but the precision was there (i knew it was 2nd not 4th and 4th not 6th etc). my biggest gripe with the stock shifter was the lack of precision. while it is extremely smooth and easy to shift, i always second guessed myself when shifting spiritedly. however with the installation of the SSK the gear box is much more intuitive.

THAT BEING SAID, i think, as many have posted, this is the feeling bmw should have created with the stock shifter. but imho this car didn't need shorter shifts, just cleaner ones!
Great write-up. Whereabouts in Jersey? I'd like to to try out your SSK to see if I want that or the SSK one. I'll send ya a PM in case you don't want to answer in public.
      01-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #5
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Now we need pics for users with right hand drive versions.
      01-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by esscolab View Post
Now we need pics for users with right hand drive versions.
Your avatar is freagin scary. Think I need to go to therapy. Any explanation behind that thing?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #7
esscolab
Brigadeer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

It's from a UK comedy show called Father Ted. - Father Jack Hackett