BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2009, 12:58 AM   #23
bimmerBaron
this space for rent
United_States
Rep
Drives: null

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewDFW View Post
I'd be in your debt if you'd pass along some additional details as to the type (make/model) of the remote trigger and the type of camera you used.

And, regarding shooting technique... how did you ration power to the camera to keep it ready for shooting without losing battery power? I'm assuming a digital camera was used and that it was turned on and drawing power throughout the entire drive.

Car charger power source is needed with me since goal would be to allow easy snapshots done approximately 10 minutes apart for up to 38 hours.

Thanks again for taking a moment to help!
Hi,

I was using a Canon EOS 20D (digital SLR) using a Canon RS-80N3 remote switch. It's a cabled remote but the cable was long enough to snake near the center armreset and I could fire it from there. Like adc mentioned, dSLRs can have long battery life (especially compared to non-SLRs) and it lasted the entire trip without needing a recharge. I would just hit the button and the camera would wake up and fire.

And to mirror what Guran said, a heavy camera and tripod really help out in situations like this. My tripod's pretty beefy and with how much I strapped it down it really wasn't going anywhere, making exposure times of a few minutes possible while keeping the interior of the car sharp. Obviously the outside is too blurred to be interesting.

Unless you want to keep a computer plugged in and on the whole time as your camera (seems complicated to set up/tear-down repeatedly during a roadtrip!) I think you would need an intervalometer to really help you out. Most cameras don't have them built in but some can be found in adapter form making what you want to do easier without needing to tether the camera to your computer. For the length of time you want to do this, I would suggest finding a car adapter to power your camera! You could even do something like buying a power inverter (which would convert your car's 12v plug to a 120v ac-outlet plug) and plug in your camera's AC adapter into that. Probably not the most efficient way of doing this though.

This is all general information though, if you told us which camera you are thinking about I bet the suggestions could be more detailed. Lighter cameras, for example, don't need as much work to keep still as heavier ones.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #24
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

www.bhphoto.com for all of our AV gear.

The suction cup mounts work great. Just be careful when using them on body panels. They have enough suction to dent body work if you don't fully release the vacuum seal before pulling them off. errr.... happened to a guy i know.....
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #25
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

pick up a cannon point/shoot and load the custom firmware on it, it enables a shot every x second mode, you can configure it all with scripts
Appreciate 0