BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-17-2009, 08:28 PM   #111
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
Lotus are reliable...they`re powered by Toyota components. Plus they have less electronic components than lets say a Bmw. They can take some severe abuse before breaking down.
Not in my particular experience they are not. It is all relative. It depends what you are comparing against. They are a hand-built car, so in that sense they are not *too* bad...a TVR, for example, tends to spend a lot more time off the road for repairs than a Lotus. If you compare it against a mass-produced car like a Honda then yes, they can be considered unreliable.

The engines and drivetrains are Toyota only and even they have had issues such as oil starvation at high G cornering causing catastophic engine failure. Few reports of cars with blown radiators also. More are coming through. Admittedly more reliable than the Rover-engined cars. (In US you only get the Toyota ones).

The Rover-engined series cars had issues with head gasket failures, corroded floors, blown radiators dumping boiling coolant on windshields, front indicators falling out and side mirrors falling off entirely...and the failure rates were not particularly miniscule either. They are well documented.

These are delicate cars and are more sensitive to things like incorrect warm up procedures etc...due to their inherent design. You would buy one if you appreciated the essence of driving. They are not for the faint of heart and will quickly teach a driver to unlearn bad driving habits.

I could go on...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #112
HighQ
Quality is everything
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: you mad

X5 with G-Power twin supercharged V10 converion
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #113
QJS
St8rin' Thru My Rear View
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adood84 View Post
The problem with Lotus we haven't got any dealers in the Middle East.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Not in my particular experience they are not. It is all relative. It depends what you are comparing against. They are a hand-built car, so in that sense they are not *too* bad...a TVR, for example, tends to spend a lot more time off the road for repairs than a Lotus. If you compare it against a mass-produced car like a Honda then yes, they can be considered unreliable.

The engines and drivetrains are Toyota only and even they have had issues such as oil starvation at high G cornering causing catastophic engine failure. Few reports of cars with blown radiators also. More are coming through. Admittedly more reliable than the Rover-engined cars. (In US you only get the Toyota ones).

The Rover-engined series cars had issues with head gasket failures, corroded floors, blown radiators dumping boiling coolant on windshields, front indicators falling out and side mirrors falling off entirely...and the failure rates were not particularly miniscule either. They are well documented.

These are delicate cars and are more sensitive to things like incorrect warm up procedures etc...due to their inherent design. You would buy one if you appreciated the essence of driving. They are not for the faint of heart and will quickly teach a driver to unlearn bad driving habits.

I could go on...
Thank u, didnt know most of the problems are coming from hard cornering G's.

We have most of all supercar dealers and exotics in the Gulf, and no Lotus. It sucks cuz we have a large racing commuinity in the area. Lotus can make lots of money if someone brings them down here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerBearing View Post
X5 with G-Power twin supercharged V10 converion
in my dreams
      01-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #114
QJS
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
No, no. Lotus Evora http://autoworld.files.wordpress.com...vora-img_1.jpg

A 'hot' version will be on my shopping list when the time comes. Have to see it in the flesh first. The standard one is scheduled to hit dealer floors this year. You can be sure Lotus will release 'hot' versions a year or so after the initial release.

Exige S is a great car. I have a Lotus S2 111S at the moment, but cannot justify upgrading to a Exige S as it basically will cost more than twice as much as my car is worth, but will not provide twice as many smiles.
Beautiful this. Very hot.

Is the S2 111S the one you can drop a Type-R K20 engine in?

Ive seen some vids before, they fly, but cant remember what model/year.

How much do they go for nowadays, with the conversion?
      01-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #115
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Wouldn't it make sense to buy NA cars in such a hot country? I have a C63 and I love it. If that is not hardcore enough, how about a CLK63 black series? Hard to beat the sound of this monster, or any of the 63 series from AMG...
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #116
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Btw, if I happen to be in Dubai, can you take me to a uphill drag race? Sounds like so much fun! Yamaha Banshee ATV sounds like fun!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 07:24 AM   #117
penny
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i (sold)

Hmmm, from the results of this thread... looks like you should buy another 135. Look at all the free support you get!!!

M5, X6
      01-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #118
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Quote:
Originally Posted by QJS View Post

Is the S2 111S the one you can drop a Type-R K20 engine in?
You can actually do a K20a conversion on any S1 or S2 Elise. You can also drop an Audi engine in there too as many have done.

A K20a supercharged S1 Elise that last year won the GT Championship here in Australia. It was amazing to watch this little Lotus beat the 17-car field which included Aston DBRS9s, Lambos Gallardo GT3s, Ferraris and Porkers.

Cost is relatively minimal ...about AUD$15,000+ to do the conversion.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 01:41 PM   #119
QJS
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
Wouldn't it make sense to buy NA cars in such a hot country? I have a C63 and I love it. If that is not hardcore enough, how about a CLK63 black series? Hard to beat the sound of this monster, or any of the 63 series from AMG...
It does, its better too. But im kinda addicted to force induction.

Hmm, Benz, the only German car company that i dont respect. I'll respect them when they build cars with proper transmissions. Altho the C63 is an awesome car with loads of power, but lacks in the bends. Thats why i never went for a Benz.

Quote:
Btw, if I happen to be in Dubai, can you take me to a uphill drag race? Sounds like so much fun! Yamaha Banshee ATV sounds like fun!
I dont live there anymore, im back home in Bahrain, but whenever there are events in the desert i go. PM me, and ill be glad to help out and take u to see the desert challange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
Hmmm, from the results of this thread... looks like you should buy another 135. Look at all the free support you get!!!

M5, X6
I want to, but ill have to wait alot, and i have already waited for a long time. Dont want to go to that route again.

Quote:
You can actually do a K20a conversion on any S1 or S2 Elise. You can also drop an Audi engine in there too as many have done.

A K20a supercharged S1 Elise that last year won the GT Championship here in Australia. It was amazing to watch this little Lotus beat the 17-car field which included Aston DBRS9s, Lambos Gallardo GT3s, Ferraris and Porkers.

You're putting thoughts into my head boy!! :biggrin:
      01-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #120
QJS
Rep
Drives:

Today i went for to the VW dealer to see the Scirroco GTi, sat in it and felt like a squashed golf, the seating position is really nice, and the interior ''look n feel'' is good quality. They have 1 in white/brown which i think im gonna go for. Nearly more than US$10,000 cheaper than the Sti and comes with an awesome service/warranty package.

I also checked out the new Evo, all i can say is that it looks totally like the normal Lancer that a ricer built. Really disgusting.

I think, maybe, im gonna go for this Scirroco. I have couple of showrooms left to check out before i make my decission. There's a chance im gona go back to my Vdub dayz.

Tomorrow im gonna go checkout the Volvo C30 and the Renault Clio sport. A friend of mine has the Clio V6 with very low kms and is willing to sell for a cheap price, gonna check that too.

Im going crazy, cant decide!!!!
      01-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #121
matt
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: munichs finest

RS6,
M3,
135i,
GT3
      01-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #122
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Ohhhhh I forgot you can get the euro-brands that Americans cannot get. The Renault Clio V6 is a beassst.....I would so go for that...LOL

Or maybe a SEAT Leon Cupra R????? (Gratuitous Lady's included would be nice....)

mmmmm......
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #123
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, Benz, the only German car company that i dont respect. I'll respect them when they build cars with proper transmissions. Altho the C63 is an awesome car with loads of power, but lacks in the bends. Thats why i never went for a Benz.
I would have agreed with you there prior to the introduction of the C63, but this car is pretty good in the bends! This is my first Benz too, and having owned 2 911s, Boxster S, V8 Vantage etc etc, I have to say that the C63 is pretty good. Mind you, my 135i is the track car so the C63 is only used on the road. But they are pretty good. Go test drive one and you may see what I mean.

Quote:
I dont live there anymore, im back home in Bahrain, but whenever there are events in the desert i go. PM me, and ill be glad to help out and take u to see the desert challenge
Cool! :w00t:
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #124
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I wanted to do that previously, and the non supercharged K20A conversion cost about $25k. Where in Australia can you do a VAG 2.0T conversion?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 08:24 PM   #125
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

How could you not like Benz? They make some super nice cars.
      01-18-2009, 08:44 PM   #126
QJS
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I would have agreed with you there prior to the introduction of the C63, but this car is pretty good in the bends! This is my first Benz too, and having owned 2 911s, Boxster S, V8 Vantage etc etc, I have to say that the C63 is pretty good. Mind you, my 135i is the track car so the C63 is only used on the road. But they are pretty good. Go test drive one and you may see what I mean.

Cool! :w00t:

Anytime man :smile:

Really? I mean doesnt all that power ruin it to go faster thro the bends? I can imagine the amounts of tire smoke from drifts... i dunno, i guess i have to test drive one.

There was a time when i did like the C63, but it faded away.

Browsing through some regional dealers/showrooms, i found 2 for sale, both for US$81,703. Is this a good deal?

http://www.alketbimotors.net/ketbi/c...3419&offset=10

http://www.alketbimotors.net/ketbi/c...3418&offset=10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
How could you not like Benz? They make some super nice cars.
To me, they are like American cars. Big engines, auto tranny, go-fast in straight lines, cant go fast in corners. The only difference is that this has some German spices added to it.
      01-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #127
QJS
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Ohhhhh I forgot you can get the euro-brands that Americans cannot get. The Renault Clio V6 is a beassst.....I would so go for that...LOL

Or maybe a SEAT Leon Cupra R????? (Gratuitous Lady's included would be nice....)

mmmmm......

Thats the same color my friend has. Pure seks.

Ive been watching some vids these couple of hours and saw some nice stuff and positive feedback. I also checked out Top Gears ClioV6 review which was good and positive and he also said if he had a 10 car garage, this will be one of them. Yes, i do sometimes listen to him, i agree with him most of the times, so that comment is a plus for me.

The Seat is i dunno, not on the aggressive side. Kinda Pikachu cute.
      01-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #128
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Anytime man :smile:

Really? I mean doesnt all that power ruin it to go faster thro the bends? I can imagine the amounts of tire smoke from drifts... i dunno, i guess i have to test drive one.

There was a time when i did like the C63, but it faded away.

Browsing through some regional dealers/showrooms, i found 2 for sale, both for US$81,703. Is this a good deal?

http://www.alketbimotors.net/ketbi/c...3419&offset=10

http://www.alketbimotors.net/ketbi/c...3418&offset=10
Can't tell you if they are good deal or not as we live in different parts of the world. What I can tell you though is to get a C63 with Performance Pack. That way you have a factory LSD which is very useful in a car packing so much power! And when you do test drive one, initially you may feel that the steering is very light, which it is at low speed, but it is nicely weighted at speed. In my opinion (and of many others in the press), this AMG has better steering precision than the M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #129
QJS
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Can't tell you if they are good deal or not as we live in different parts of the world. What I can tell you though is to get a C63 with Performance Pack. That way you have a factory LSD which is very useful in a car packing so much power! And when you do test drive one, initially you may feel that the steering is very light, which it is at low speed, but it is nicely weighted at speed. In my opinion (and of many others in the press), this AMG has better steering precision than the M3.

The ones linked are US spec.

I drove the C63 earlier today. Respect. You wer right about everything. It pulls! didnt expect it to be THAT faster than the E63.

Btw, check this out.

http://www.myprojectcars.com/index.p...596f7c97d4fd50

After seeing this, i added it to the feeler list. :headbang:
      01-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #130
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoni View Post
Have you considered a Mini Cooper S with a Chevy LS7 engine swap?
Never seen one before. But, that got me thinking.
When I am a bit older I plan on owning an RX-7 LS7! :biggrin:

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #131
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
The ones linked are US spec.

I drove the C63 earlier today. Respect. You wer right about everything. It pulls! didnt expect it to be THAT faster than the E63.

Btw, check this out.

http://www.myprojectcars.com/index.p...596f7c97d4fd50

After seeing this, i added it to the feeler list. :headbang:
I knew you'd respect it. I didnt care for how rough the ride was. It was like I was driving a $63,000 4door s2000. M3 FTW.