BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
imported_merlot
Rep
Drives:

Instant Fan

So I drove my first BMW today. It practically sold itself except for the fact that I'm 6+ months away from seriously ordering one. The car I drove was a 128i with the premium package and STEPTRONIC tanny. No sport package though.

First thing I loved about the car was it's interior; functionality and finish were what I would expect from a premium German brand (my watermark is an A4 I leased for 3 years). The steering wheel was meaty and the seats were comfortable, but lacked a bit in the lateral support. The controls (particularly the turn signal) had a very nice feel. The size of the interior was about perfect for what I like in a smaller car. Much the same as my current '03 WRX and my past '99.5 Audi A4. It was surprisingly spacious with the seats folded down and offers more usable luggage room than my WRX.

I did not like that I couldn't see the radio with my polarized sunglasses. Why? I can see the HVAC and info screen in the cluster. The CA said all BMW's were like that and was a common complaint for a few years now.

Anyway, the real gem in this car is the engine. The inline 6 is as smooth and sweet sounding as I've read about. It revved freely as well. This particular car had 22 miles on the odometer, but CA told me to open it up. Normally I like to abide by break-in, but seeing how the car was sufficiently warmed up, I dabbled in the higher rev range a bit. Again, I can't get over how smooth it is. It also got up to speed effortlessly and quickly.

Although I'm in the market for a manual transmission, I need to mention the STEPTRONIC tranny. It shifts fast and rev matches on the downshift. I was impressed and wished my finacees RDX's slushbox was this good.

Since I live in South Jersey, twisty roads are nonexistent. But we did manage to find a few tight bends (20mph limit). I entered them fairly aggressive and powered out with needle in the middle of the rpm range. The engine pulled nicely while the car stayed planted. Also, body lean wasn't much of an issue with the non-sports suspension. Speaking of body roll, I'm not one those people relates corner performance with body roll. I autox my stock suspension WRX and have no issues with how much the body rolls.

Anyway, the suspension had a nice, tight feel which reminded me of both my WRX when it was new, and the A4 with the sport suspension. I'm looking forward to testing a 1er with sports suspension.

I just wrote a lot about a car I test drove for 20 minutes; it left a lasting impression on me. I can't wait to try the 135i out. The CA offered to let me try a 335i out to sample the 3.0 twin-turbo, but my lunch time break was dwindling. I plan to take him up on that offer down the road.

As it stands, I now have two 1er configurations saved on BMW's website. The 135i I lust after, and now a 128i. If I need to lower my budget from 135i territory, I found my #1 alternative.

But don't let my finace hear that... she's thinks the twin-turbo is the only option. :wink:
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Hopefully, if you wait 6 months, the dealers may start discount the one series - which most aren't doing at this point. And when you test the 135i, will you be able to at least get up to the Pine Barrens? I seem to recall some interesting roads in that area.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
imported_merlot
Rep
Drives:

There are nice roads in the Pine Barrens, but scenic nice. Any curve would require insane speeds to make them interesting.

I can't get that 128i off my mind...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

Think you are an addict now? Twin turbos are like crack in the 135.
Appreciate 0