BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #1
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i Melbourne Red

Any compromise by using summer tires in Cold DRY weather?

I need to switch to non-RFT tires. I want to get the Continental DW tires, because I can avoid driving in snow. What I want to know is, whether there are any compromises with using summer tires in this Cold weather?

Try to include some reasoning and/or facts in your opinions.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
For sure, "summer", Z rated, etc tires are not designed for cooler temperatures. Even though I live in Atlanta, that's one of the reasons I really wanted an LSD, during our mild winters my traction was horrible. I haven't personally tried Continental DWs but they are a summer tire, not designed to be used near freezing temperatures.

If I lived in NY and had a separate winter car, then I'd still get summer tires, but for sure I'd expect poor traction on cold tires.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST1 View Post
I need to switch to non-RFT tires. I want to get the Continental DW tires, because I can avoid driving in snow. What I want to know is, whether there are any compromises with using summer tires in this Cold weather?
Yes they will be compromised, wrong compound for low temps.

Once you get down to mid 30's F you'll be getting much less grip.
      12-26-2012, 07:45 AM   #4
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 135i - 6MT SOLD

Naturally, as the other posters stated; summer tires stiff up in cold temps and thus resist traction notable. That said, as long as you're not planning on driving spirited on cold days and are confident that you're not going to get stuck out in bad weather, then it isn't so bad that you're not going to be able to get around just fine, it'll just reduce traction under hard accel/braking. If I had to throw out a guess, I'd say traction is reduce 30% under hard accel/braking.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanscotch View Post
Naturally, as the other posters stated; summer tires stiff up in cold temps and thus resist traction notable. That said, as long as you're not planning on driving spirited on cold days and are confident that you're not going to get stuck out in bad weather, then it isn't so bad that you're not going to be able to get around just fine, it'll just reduce traction under hard accel/braking. If I had to throw out a guess, I'd say traction is reduce 30% under hard accel/braking.
interesting. I should point out, as you mentioned, that I'm not expecting to do any performance type of driving. I just want to confirm that I can get around when it's cold, without ruining my tires.

So the tread WILL or WILL NOT wear faster in the cold?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Kim Schwartz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
interesting. I should point out, as you mentioned, that I'm not expecting to do any performance type of driving. I just want to confirm that I can get around when it's cold, without ruining my tires.

So the tread WILL or WILL NOT wear faster in the cold?
I don't beleive tread wear wil be affected by the temperature, just grip. I have used Conti DW in the winter and as long as there was no snow there was no real problem. Most good summer tires have more grip that you will likely need in daily driving even in the summer so the grip you loose around freezing temperatures is usually unnoticable. I live in Albuquerque where it is freezing or below at night and up in the 40's during the days. My wife keeps all season tires on her car, (also a 128i) in case it snows. I have a set of all season tires also but rarely use them. I'm using Micheline PS2 now and they are fine.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
United_States
Rep

^ Agreed, wear shouldn't be an issue.

I tried getting to the dealership on summers two weeks ago; wet (rain, no snow) conditions and near freezing, driving like an ass per usual, it made for some sketchy up hill sections, but normal driving would have been fine.

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #8
Canyon Carver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI M2 - Long Beach Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
For sure, "summer", Z rated, etc tires are not designed for cooler temperatures. Even though I live in Atlanta, that's one of the reasons I really wanted an LSD, during our mild winters my traction was horrible. I haven't personally tried Continental DWs but they are a summer tire, not designed to be used near freezing temperatures.

If I lived in NY and had a separate winter car, then I'd still get summer tires, but for sure I'd expect poor traction on cold tires.
Actually, the Conti DW's are a dry/wet tire (Thus the DW designation) and they're excellent in the wet...but I agree that they probably shouldn't be used in freezing or near freezing temps.

Check this out: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

2018 M2 LCI - Long Beach Blue Metallic - MT
2017 Camaro SS - MT (Sold)
2011 135i N55 - MT - Suspension+Stage 1 PPK (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

It only takes one accident which you avoid to pay for the cost of having snow tires. Over here in Germany... when the temps are under 7'C or less... you are required to have snow tires (M+S & the snow flake symbol). Other wise you can be charged as fault bc you couldn't avoid teh accident bc you had AS or summers on.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #10
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
It only takes one accident which you avoid to pay for the cost of having snow tires.
You recommend using snow tires, even though I won't be driving in snow?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
You recommend using snow tires, even though I won't be driving in snow?
IF it will be colder than 7'C - yes, I would use snow tires! Snow or no snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #12
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep

Ok, but my question still remains: Will these tires wear FASTER than normal, when driven in cold temperatures (say ~30 F)?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Ok, but my question still remains: Will these tires wear FASTER than normal, when driven in cold temperatures (say ~30 F)?
Snow tires will only wear faster when the temps are hot. ie: hotter than 25'C.

When its cold outside ~30'F snow tires will wear the same as say summers.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 06:43 PM   #14
Jmanscotch
is a Texan
United_States
Rep

^ I think FIRST1 means to ask if the summer tires will wear fast in winter use, no?

In my novice mind, I don't see how they would. Maybe hard use plus the stiffness will weaken them some, prone to cracking/rot over years, but lets face it...you won't get years of mileage out of them anyways so it shouldn't be an issue.

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

^^Ohh, Ok, Well... if you are gonna run summer tires in the winter time(cold weather, no snow) I don't think they would wear faster.

But summers will have no traction(compared to winters) bc the thread blocks are much harder and don't conform to the road surface. So if your constantly spinning your (summer) tires - you are gonna have more wear.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 11:48 AM   #16
MMisencik157
Private
Rep
Drives: Manual

They will wear slower if anything. The tire is colder and harder which means less friction is being generated by the tire. You can use a conti DW safely in near or below freezing temperatures, just be aware that they have a reduced amount of grip when its that cold outside. Ive daily driven on star specs, Kumho XS, and now Im on R-S3s year round in northern california. Even with temps below freezing you can safely drive on all of them. Besides the Conti DW compound is just about the best wet weather tire on the market right now and is a very soft compound despite its 340 utqg rating. Bottom line you can do it, snow tires will be completely unnecessary if you're not driving through snow.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #17
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

You can actually damage the compound permanently by running them in temps that are too low.

For summer tires, it is not advised to use them below 50 degrees. Some of the more temperamental (sticky) tires will be damaged permanently (I would say in the freezing/near freezing area). They will never perform the same after this happens.

Be careful!
      12-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #18
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
You can actually damage the compound permanently by running them in temps that are too low.
This is certainley the case if they are used for extended periods of times in constant low temps.
If the ambiant temp is constantly below 5-7degC for greater than 6-8 weeks or longer, then yes, the compound can be damaged.

My winter tyres are so much better in dry, sub 5degC temps than my summer tyres, that I wouldn't even consider running summers in winter, even here in the UK in a relatively mild winters.

I don't know why the OP is so obsessed with asking about wear rate of his summer tyres in low temps - seems an irrelevant question to me
      12-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #19
Kim Schwartz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post

For summer tires, it is not advised to use them below 50 degrees. Some of the more temperamental (sticky) tires will be damaged permanently (I would say in the freezing/near freezing area). They will never perform the same after this happens.

Be careful!
Please give us your source for this informaiton. I would be interested in the physics behind this. I Live in Albuqueruqe NM and as it rarely snows here I have used summer tires in several winters. The last set I used were Conti DW. I now have Micheline PS2's. I have never had any problem with any of them from the cold.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #20
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Just a quick example, from TireRack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...sp?techid=220&

Quote:
Storing Extreme Performance Summer Tires in Cold Temperatures

Like the motorsports tires they have evolved from, all Extreme Performance Summer performance category tires feature constructions and compounds that have been tuned to maximize traction and performance within a range of warm-to-hot ambient temperatures. Therefore, unlike less highly tuned tires, these types of tires must only be operated in and stored at temperatures consistent with their thoroughbred characteristics.

In addition to normal tire storage recommendations, Extreme Performance Summer performance category tires require supplementary storage procedures be followed to prevent tire compound cracking due to exposure to cold temperatures.
While these recommendations are general guidelines offered by Tire Rack, selected tire manufacturers may have additional specific recommendations applicable to their tires. Follow the tire manufacturer’s recommendations whenever available.

It is not recommended to drive on these types of tires at temperatures below 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

It is recommended these types of tires be stored indoors at temperatures maintained at above 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) when not in use.

Tires accidentally exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

In order to allow gradual, uniform and thorough increase in tire temperature, these types of tires should be protected from direct sources of intense heat as they warm up. Do not apply localized heat, blow heated air directly on them, nor place them near a heat source.

Always inspect tires before use after storage periods.

While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
      12-29-2012, 10:30 AM   #21
FIRST1
Major
United_States
Rep

^Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:50 AM   #22
Kim Schwartz
Private First Class
Rep