BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-31-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

RFT's Popping when lowered???

ALCON,

I wanted to reach out to people up here and get some feedback to see if anyone else has had this experience...
The day before yesterday I took my vehicle into the stealership for a wheel repair (I had a nail in the tire). The tire was replaced under warranty. I was also getting a alignment for the vehicle since I just recently installed H&R sport springs. The next morning, while on my way to work, I hit the same bump in the road that I do everyday except this time I heard something a little disturbing; it sounded like a pop! Immediately after this noise my TPS light came on. I took the vehicle back to the dealer and shortly after dropping it off I was contacted and told that the side wall of the tire was sliced open.
Now maybe this is a coincidence but I'm thinking it might be due to the vehicle being too low and the tire hitting some part of the suspension when under load? I'll go out on a limb and say that I did not hear any thing that would sound "abnormal" after the spring install (one day driving around without and alignment and hitting the same bump in the road)...
So my question to everyone is, has anybody, while being lowered on H&R's, experienced this with RFT's or any other type of tire?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
      01-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

You hit the bump stop because the shocks dont match the springs and this doesnt usually happen but maybe funflats are more prone to this since they are so stiff and maybe they were inflated too much.

This is why you dont just do springs ever! (Hitting the bump stop not popping the tire).
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Rep

^ I don't understand; are you saying that me hitting the bump-stop had something to do with popping the tire? I'm almost 100% certain the popping noise I heard was not the bump-stop but was the tire popping. When you hit a bump-stop the vehicle usually sounds like it's about to fall apart! A loud bang or something... This was noting like that, vise just a popping noise...
      01-31-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Thought that was what you were describing and the side effect was a blown tire hence i said it is usually not the case. But in general springs without the other parts are only good for looks! Youre gonna have blown shocks later as well.

Thank god for tire insurance huh? I would say you made your money back already. Ha
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
Was it a speed bump or a pot hole?

If its a pot hole then you need to stop hitting pot holes. Simple as that. Tires and pot holes don't mix. Avoid them or tire problems can occur at any time. Doesn't matter if you're lowered or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

It might be helpful to know what size your wheels(with ET offsets) and what size tires you have. Suspension setup as well ?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

You didn't say what side of the tire blew out. Inboard or outboard? It's usually very difficult for tires to hit suspension components, unless bushings are extremely worn.

More clarity into the condition of the tire would help immensely.
      02-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Was it a speed bump or a pot hole?

If its a pot hole then you need to stop hitting pot holes. Simple as that. Tires and pot holes don't mix. Avoid them or tire problems can occur at any time. Doesn't matter if you're lowered or not.
LOL; well said sir!

So I picked the car up late afternoon yesterday and the tire was replace under warranty. The dealership said they checked ride height to see if it might have been a rubbing issue, and the checks came back as a negative. So I'm not rubbing, or bottoming out, or anything. Seems as if it might have been a bad tire, or hit something I didn't see...
On the way into work this morning, went over the same bump in the road (I inspected it further as I went over it, seems that the bump is some kinda of joist where the exit ramp and the bridge leading to the exit ramp meet); and no issues!
FYI, running stock M-Sport wheels with the Stock RFT's. No spacer or anything.