BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
physh
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport DCT

Endless issues

Hi 1addicts,

I brought my 135i to BMW to get SIB 15 12 14 (DME update to address DCT issues and idle fluctuations) taken care of along with an oil change and the VANOS recall.
When I went to pickup the car, it threw a check engine light so they took it back.

Now they're telling me they need to keep the car longer to fix some fuel pump and crankshaft position sensor issues. The car was mostly fine until they touched it...
Not sure what to do next. Has anybody encountered the same issue?

(2011 135i with N55 and 48k miles)

Last edited by physh; 01-09-2015 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

I actually did experience this issue after I service my car in for VANOS bolts. It happened not right away but its like after 50 miles drive and suddenly my car stuttering and lost the boost. Apparently four of my ignition coils and spark plugs were bad so it needs to be replace. Right after nothing happen again and it runs strong again
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

When I got my recall done, the technician said my chargepipe is cracked. Funny it wasn't cracked when I took it in. Unless he made it worse when doing the recall. Now I get the boost pressure control code whenever I mash the throttle. They wouldn't replace it under CPO so I'm just going to spend a bit more and get a metal charge pipe.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Makes you realize what a joke some "BMW techs" are.. Sounds like that's the issue to me..
      05-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
DFB Gal
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport Convertible

Had VANOS recall work done, got my car back and started hearing loud knocking noise from top of engine when unlocking/locking car when engine is off.

Took back to dealer where recall work done, and they are saying that noise is caused my eccentric shaft and valvetronic servomotor grinding/wearing. Dealer wants $3000+ to replace both of these items.

When I explained that this noise did not exist until after they performed the VANOS recall, had no check engine / check control light, and that the noise is in the same area where they were working during the recall, SA said no possibility that they could have caused this issue when doing the recall work.

Trying to be reasonable, but is it likely pure coincidence?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcoja View Post
When I got my recall done, the technician said my chargepipe is cracked. Funny it wasn't cracked when I took it in. Unless he made it worse when doing the recall. Now I get the boost pressure control code whenever I mash the throttle. They wouldn't replace it under CPO so I'm just going to spend a bit more and get a metal charge pipe.
Uh what? They better replace it under CPO. I would try a different dealer or get BMWNA involved, that's not acceptable
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 04:18 PM   #7
LYCANtreo
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: LYCAN 09 AW 135i M Sport

+1 ^
AW '09 135i M package | aFe Intake | aFe Axle Back | aFe Throttle Body Spacer | Vishnu Procede 2.5 | Alpina B3 Flash | BMS Cowl Filters | Matte Black Kidneys | AA Charge Pipe | Tial BOV| VRSF DP's |M3/1M Front Control Arm Upgrade Kit |
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #8
dm874
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB Gal View Post
Had VANOS recall work done, got my car back and started hearing loud knocking noise from top of engine when unlocking/locking car when engine is off.

Took back to dealer where recall work done, and they are saying that noise is caused my eccentric shaft and valvetronic servomotor grinding/wearing. Dealer wants $3000+ to replace both of these items.

When I explained that this noise did not exist until after they performed the VANOS recall, had no check engine / check control light, and that the noise is in the same area where they were working during the recall, SA said no possibility that they could have caused this issue when doing the recall work.

Trying to be reasonable, but is it likely pure coincidence?

Coincidence? I don't think so
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #9
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36addict View Post
Makes you realize what a joke some "BMW techs" are.. Sounds like that's the issue to me..
As a BMW technician, some of us are total hackjobs and give the company a bad rep. I know of a handfull who do things the most "flat rate" way possible. On the flip side, there are some of us (myself included) who have horrible OCD and take our time with everything even though our proficiency rating takes a total crap. It's not unheard of to crack a charge pipe during a VANOS recall (or anything to remove the valve cover really), what's shady is that the tech didn't mention it to anyone. If you word it in your story (or repair order) correctly, warranty will cover it. Some techs are just straight up retarded.

/rant.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
dm874
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15' M4

^ agreed. I've worked at a dealership before and obviously you will have some tech's that are clearly better than others but for the most part they know what they're doing because they've been working on the same cars over and over again. Some are grumpy and miserables, but most are happy and are great at what they do
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #11
inFamousKicks
Member.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

After having the Vanos work done, I started getting a very strong fuel smell. No codes were thrown, but after taking it in, they determined a fuel rail line was loose. Could've been worse, but many people have experienced some sort of issues after the work. It's unclear if it's just freaky coincidence, incompetence, or a flaw in the design.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 10:29 AM   #12
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
As a BMW technician, some of us are total hackjobs and give the company a bad rep. I know of a handfull who do things the most "flat rate" way possible. On the flip side, there are some of us (myself included) who have horrible OCD and take our time with everything even though our proficiency rating takes a total crap. It's not unheard of to crack a charge pipe during a VANOS recall (or anything to remove the valve cover really), what's shady is that the tech didn't mention it to anyone. If you word it in your story (or repair order) correctly, warranty will cover it. Some techs are just straight up retarded.

/rant.
Back in the day when I had my VW I was friends with the master tech and used to be able to request to the SA that only my friend work on the car. Doubt I could do that with my current BMW dealer seeing how any appointment requires 2 week lead time and 4 weeks if you need a loaner. Good techs like yourself are hard to come by.
      05-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #13
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post

/rant.
Have you seen guys that actually file down the cowl panel in order to get the valve cover out? Rather than just removing a few screws and taking it out completely... Drives me nuts. I'm too OCD and perfectionist for that.
      05-15-2015, 12:17 PM   #14
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36addict View Post
Have you seen guys that actually file down the cowl panel in order to get the valve cover out? Rather than just removing a few screws and taking it out completely... Drives me nuts. I'm too OCD and perfectionist for that.
I was actually going to mention that specifically. That drives the living shit out of me. It takes 5min MAX. I've been replacing ones people have cut just because it bothers me that much, to the point where I include it in my multipoint inspection.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0