BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #67
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
My $100 Garmin GPS switches itself from day to night mode. Seems like another reason iDrive is a bad deal.

The only dimmer switches in my house were there when I bought it. I don't think I've ever put one in. I know I haven't in the last two houses.

But I think the hassle of registering the battery is worth it if I get a couple more years out of the battery.
I can do one better.

The free version of google maps built into my android phone has an automatic night mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #68
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Shah269 were you tortured by an engineer or something? I've never seen someone hate an entire field of work, for no reason.

Hop in an old mustang or something with minimal engineering and then get a real fast reminder of why you want a properly engineered car.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #69
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
Shah269 were you tortured by an engineer or something? I've never seen someone hate an entire field of work, for no reason.

Hop in an old mustang or something with minimal engineering and then get a real fast reminder of why you want a properly engineered car.
I am an engineer....but i got help! Now I can relate to the human race.
You know I don't think i'm god, and i've stopped counting and organizing all the pens on my desk. And i can care less how many seconds my car battery has charged vs how many seconds it has discharged.

I'm a manager of about two dozen engineers....and i have this argument with them all the time...
1) Why are you doing something no one wants you to do?
2) Why must you insist that the customer do extra work?
3) Do you understand that "because" it's cool does not translate to "because it makes the world a better place"?

So let's think about it.
1) did somone actually ask for this? Answer...no. Batteries are recycled. And if a battery goes bad it's just one cell. And they give you warning.
2) Why must the customer have to take time from their schedule to have the battery changed at a BMW shop? Does the customer enjoy feeling as if they are being taken for a ride? And does this help or hurt car sales?
3) Is it cool to count seconds of charge vs discharge...SURE! Does it make the world a better place? Answer NO!

Either the manager was a dumb ass or the engineer was suffering as most engineers do from an acute case of Asburgers?
Counting seconds…..really….god why?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #70
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
Ok about the night mode, but my navi never looses a signal unlike the $hitty garmin which gets lost going through a tunnel.
Yea, smurf Garmin for losing signal when its form of communication was blocked in a tunnel......

Smurf the nav on the BMW too. I wish I ever opted to get it. Google maps on my S3 works like a champ and never has let me down.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 06:45 PM   #71
135ivert
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E88 135i,E70 X5M,E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269 View Post
You know I don't think i'm god, and i've stopped counting and organizing all the pens on my desk. And i can care less how many seconds my car battery has charged vs how many seconds it has discharged.

I'm a manager of about two dozen engineers....and i have this argument with them all the time...
3) Do you understand that "because" it's cool does not translate to "because it makes the world a better place"?

So let's think about it.
1) did somone actually ask for this? Answer...no. Batteries are recycled. And if a battery goes bad it's just one cell. And they give you warning.
2) Why must the customer have to take time from their schedule to have the battery changed at a BMW shop? Does the customer enjoy feeling as if they are being taken for a ride? And does this help or hurt car sales?
3) Is it cool to count seconds of charge vs discharge...SURE! Does it make the world a better place? Answer NO!

Either the manager was a dumb ass or the engineer was suffering as most engineers do from an acute case of Asburgers?
Man, you've been butthurt about this for a long time.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #72
aloksatoor
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Carrera S PDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Yea, smurf Garmin for losing signal when its form of communication was blocked in a tunnel......

Smurf the nav on the BMW too. I wish I ever opted to get it. Google maps on my S3 works like a champ and never has let me down.
lolz, the voice recognition actually works on those phones unlike the idrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #73
Overpar56
Proud AARP member in good standing
Rep
Drives: Me nuts

Quote:
Siri hates me because I call her names when I say "play U2" and she opens up YouTube.

2012 135i DCT, Lemans Blue/black leather, PPK1, PE, Stoptech Sport rotors and Sport pads, unhealthy crackles and burbles and an aging demonic driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #74
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My car doesnt have iDrive, but it has a hilariously bad voice recognition system for phone calls, and im really not sure what else.

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:43 PM   #75
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah269
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post

So let's think about it.

Counting seconds..really.god why?
Are you trying to get over 1000 posts on the forum or something? Almost there buddy, keep it up. By the way how can you even enjoy driving your obviously over engineered car. Especially on those over engineered roads with their over engineered signaling systems. Are you posting on some stoplight forum somewhere complaining how the damn engineers can't design a stoplight that can sense when your car has been sitting there longer than 30 seconds? How can you even stand to own a computer in the first place. I mean man, think of all the engineers you keep employed. If I were you I would just sell all the technology i owned. 8 more posts!!! You can do it!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:45 PM   #76
BLU135i
No_Country
Rep

Wow.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 08:48 PM   #77
BLU135i
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135ivert
Quote:

So let's think about it.

Counting seconds..really.god why?
Man, you've been butthurt about this for a long time.
I mean wow. Sorry about double post. That original wow was in reference to your, now quoted post. I missed hitting the quote button and could not fix it because some stupid engineer could not make a proper app with an edit function for my damn over engineered iphone. Damn them all to hell!!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #78
Silenus
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Uh huh, care to explain since you know? I know there are 5 different type of batteries, then you have your CCA, CA, AH and RC.......but I guess my statement doesn't make sense because its common sense.

How about BMW let us get whatever battery we want, as long as it's to "their" standard. Like, it must be a wet battery with a CCA of X and AH of X? Then we could press a button to let the system reset.
The system needs to know which battery you've put in the car, that way it can manage power appropriately. Those variables you mentioned need to be inputted, then it can act accordingly. It's impossible for the IBS to just detect that information.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 07:24 AM   #79
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

As an engineer who for most of his career has managed other engineers I will say I share at least part of the view expressed by shah269. I get frustrated too when our engineers want to apply the most expensive solution - or want me to find money for a solution to a problem that nobody but them sees. Many engineers are too far into the specifics to be very practical.

But I disagree that our battery registration process is an example of that. I guess it comes down to the magnitude of the benefit which I see no way of knowing beyond all doubt. Shah269 suggests it is added seconds of battery life - or the advantage of a better projection of battery life. I believe it is a year or two of added battery life. If I was only gaining a week of lifetime, I would agree with him. Months, maybe. But if it is a year or more, then I think the hassle is worth it. But I don't see a way to know that. My battery is more than 5 years old at the moment but I've had batteries last that long in other cars. There is a not insignificant variation in lifetime for other reasons. That battery to battery variation makes it difficult if not impossible to know the benefit we get from our more sophisticated system.
      12-02-2014, 08:00 AM   #80
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Jim,
Hardest job I’ve ever had was and is leading engineers. I can't believe I’ve made it this long without grabbing one by the skinny ankles and using him to kill all his other friends who insist that we need to buy the $1million desktop top 3D printer instead of the $3k Makerbot printer just to print out prototypes to test fitment and to demonstrate.

Do you really think it adds years to battery life? Honestly that’s next to impossible to determine. We all drive our cars in different manners and in different conditions. And 5 years for a battery is actually a safety feature. It gives you a chance to check out the terminals and the wires and the general condition of the electrical system of a car. To pop it in and forget….woooh…sounds like a recepie for a major electrical bill down the road.

Honestly, 1 day to drop off the car, and having to buy a given type and make of battery….i’m not sure if it’s just stupidity or malice?
For me as a consumer…honestly…I see it as malweare for my car. You are holding me hostage to a dealer and a make of battery….

I honestly don’t know….talk about wasted energy. Should have used that time to develop one line of code to turn the GPS from day to night based on clock and time.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #81
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Shah. I'm on year 7 md mile 110,000 with my battery in a pretty cold climate. The little light on the battery, itself, says thats still in good condition and the terminals are as clean as they were when the car was purchased.

I highly doubt that a normal car battery would have lasted this long. I've never had one make it longer than 4, or 5, years.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #82
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Both my old 1.8t's lasted a solid 7 years give or take.
The terminals were protected so that really helped and both cars lived in a grage which also helps.
but what would you rather have...1 extra year of battery life or...auto day to night mode on you GPS?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #83
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Both my old 1.8t's lasted a solid 7 years give or take.
The terminals were protected so that really helped and both cars lived in a grage which also helps.
but what would you rather have...1 extra year of battery life or...auto day to night mode on you GPS?
I have both.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 09:50 AM   #84
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Life is too short to think this much about replacing a battery once every 5 years. If mine fails, I will replace it and keep driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #85
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I have both.
oh now you are just bragging!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #86
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
oh now you are just bragging!
GMaps is life. GMaps is love.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 10:30 AM   #87
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:
So let's think about it

Because you can charge the battery better if you know its condition. And increase battery life. Not worthless, actually excellent and efficient engineering.

The problem isn't with that. It's that BMW dealers charge ridiculous amounts of money for simple work, like this. That's the real basis for griping, not the way the charging system is engineered.

But many independent shops can code a new battery. Some people can DIY it.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 11:08 AM   #88
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silenus View Post
I don't think you understand the Intelligent Battery Sensor in your BMW to make any of those claims. The system has consistently gotten extra years out of the car's battery, which actually makes it cheaper for the consumer. In addition to getting more life out of your battery, it will also save you from being stranded and give you better gas mileage. With respect to gas mileage, the IBS system can calculate the battery's needs and allow the alternator to ease back on charging. This reduces load to the engine, requiring it to work less. The IBS calculates the rate of battery discharge, and can tell when the car will no longer be able to start due to a dead battery. This not only warns the driver of a discharged battery, but will deactivate "luxury" electrical consumers (such as seat heaters) as the battery gets very low. This gives the driver more time with a safe working vehicle to make the appropriate repair. The IBS is also capable of identifying parasitic draws in the system, allowing the vehicle and technician to pinpoint major electrical issues.

I personally have a battery from 2007 that is over 50% state of charge in my 135i. Some do not last as long, but we've consistently seen them outpace older batteries by a few years. The IBS is something BMW clearly got right, but some drivers still do not understand.

What the hell are you taking about????
My 1997 328 with 270k miles on the same battery since 2004.
My 2001 135i battery lasted 3 years and 40k. So much more intelligent?

IBS stands for "Integrated BMW Screw-the-customer-device"
Appreciate 0