BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

2009- Tire Rack Winter Product - Come on in!!

This link takes you to the promised land when in search of winter tires, wheels, tire and wheel packages, etc. All you have to do is enter your vehicle specific information and you're off to the races. Make sure you select "Winter!"

Here is the Tire Rack Winter Product Bible thread It has a ton of information, pictures, answers, etc., that will be extremely valuable for anyone shopping this season. Look here before you post a question (especially my first post that addresses a lot of common inquiries.) The answer is likely already here.

A couple of quick notes to add:

** 225/40/18 snow tires fit the front and rear wheels on the 135i. Our website shows that we have nothing available but we do. Search it by size. I've pointed it out but it's yet to be changed.

** The LM60 is Bridgestone's newest performance winter tire (replacing the LM22/25.) It will be neck and neck with the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D for the best in class.

** The Blizzak WS-60 and the Michelin XI2 are still the best two studless ice and snow tires.

** The Sport Edition KM-11 is no longer made and we don't have any more. It was, by far, the most popular winter wheel last year.

** The list of wheels that take the BMW center caps has been updated. All the Elbrus wheels accept it!

** You won't find the BMW center caps online when ordering. Tell me to add them to the order in the "customer comment" section when ordering online and I'll be happy to do it. They are $9 each and they are the newest style.

** Call me directly if you're ordering over the phone. 877-522-8473 x620 is my direct line. We are very busy during the winter tire season. If you don't leave a message I won't know you are callling!

** If you order online, please reference my name "Gill" in the "customer comment" section. I can catch small problems that will be major inconveniences to us both if they go undetected.

** Send me a PM if you have a specific question. I often am not able to scroll through numerous threads to see if someone is asking me something.

I love helping you guys out and making sure each order is perfect! It's not really work to me because I love this board, and being a 1 series owner. That said, they do actually pay me for this job and only you guys can make that happen by calling me direct or making sure you put my name on the order when doing it online.
Nothing stings worse than helping someone here and having one of my co-workers come over to thank me for his brand new sale!

Cheers,
Gill

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.

Last edited by Gary@TireRack; 09-29-2009 at 03:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
jwardell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i, JCWMCS

I'll be ordering a 16" wheel/snow tire package soon (waiting for my 1 to arrive in a week or so). Decided to stay with runflat as I don't see my girlfriend installing a tire patch on the side of the road in the snow...hah. Basically my choices are the LM-22 on clearance, the LM-25, the michelin primacy alpin pa3, and the dunlop winter sport M3s...what is your opinion on each of these? Is my guess correct that because the LM-25s are newer than LM-22s, they have the best chance of being "nicer" runflats?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
HebbNH
Resident Cacodemon Expert
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i 6MT

I'm looking for a set of tires to fit on the stock 18's on the 135i. I'd be driving mostly on clear roads, maybe in an inch or 2 of snow once in a while. Based on this, the LM60s or 3Ds should be fine, correct? Also, any guess as to the maximum snow depth these tires can handle?
BMS JB4 | BMS DCI | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | HKS SSQV III | CP-E downpipes | BMWP exhaust | P3Cars vent gauge | LUX V3 angel eyes | Weisslicht smoked LED sidemarkers | Blackline LCI taillights | Slek Designs front lip | BMWP grills | Seibon M3 hood | iCarbon CSL trunk | iCarbon rear diffuser | BMWP suspension | Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s | Work Brombachers - FLOSS edition | H&R spacers | TC Kline studs | Project Kics R40 lugs
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #4
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
You're usually limited by the front of the car before the tires when talking snow depth...

Gil, ORDERED! I put your name and extension in the comments. Thanks for your help today. Top notch!

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HebbNH View Post
I'm looking for a set of tires to fit on the stock 18's on the 135i. I'd be driving mostly on clear roads, maybe in an inch or 2 of snow once in a while. Based on this, the LM60s or 3Ds should be fine, correct? Also, any guess as to the maximum snow depth these tires can handle?
Correct. Not sure on maximum depth but 2-3 inches is no problem. Up from there it starts getting tricky.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Mike01ci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M2 & 03 M5

I have never had winter tires before. I just depended on other people whenever it snowed. I now think I am going to need them. I want the cheapest thing possible as these will be on my car for the absolute minimum amount of time. I was thinking of either the Conti extremewintercontact, or the general Altimax Arctic, and I don’t plan on putting the studs in I assume the generals would the wrong choice.

So the contis and the MSWs in 17s, for $904, is that an okay choice or is it really worth it to upgrade the tire? Or should I just get winter tires for the stock 18s?…. I don’t see a treadwear rating on any winter tires, how long do they usually last? Is this car even going to go anywhere in the snow? b/c the 335 wanted to go nowhere at all granted I was on the stock tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
HebbNH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill@Tirerack.com View Post
Correct. Not sure on maximum depth but 2-3 inches is no problem. Up from there it starts getting tricky.
Thanks Gill! Usually any more than a couple inches and I'd just borrow one of my parent's trucks for a couple days. I was just curious in case I got caught away from home when the snow came down. I'll be putting an order in soon.
BMS JB4 | BMS DCI | ETS intercooler | ETS charge pipe | HKS SSQV III | CP-E downpipes | BMWP exhaust | P3Cars vent gauge | LUX V3 angel eyes | Weisslicht smoked LED sidemarkers | Blackline LCI taillights | Slek Designs front lip | BMWP grills | Seibon M3 hood | iCarbon CSL trunk | iCarbon rear diffuser | BMWP suspension | Yokohama Advan Neova AD08s | Work Brombachers - FLOSS edition | H&R spacers | TC Kline studs | Project Kics R40 lugs

Last edited by HebbNH; 10-03-2009 at 01:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 02:05 PM   #8
HebbNH
Rep

Placed the order today! Thanks again, Gill!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Hey Gill,

Placed my order today as well. I left your name in the comments section... also I'm not sure if the OEM caps will fit in the ASA GT2 wheels, but if so I left a comment to please include 4 of those with the order as well.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
Absorber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 M3

Gill,

I placed my order this evening. I put "Gill @ x620" in the "Customer Comment" section.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
jaybot311
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3, 2013 RS5, 2014 X5

thanks Gill!

Thanks again Gill for your help in figuring out my winter set up and making the ordering process quick and painless!
      10-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
Got my order in too! Can't wait to shed these RFT's. Hoping these new A7's look OEM.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Hey Gill,

Placed my order today as well. I left your name in the comments section... also I'm not sure if the OEM caps will fit in the ASA GT2 wheels, but if so I left a comment to please include 4 of those with the order as well.

Sadly, the OEM caps won't fit that wheel.

Thanks everyone!

Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #14
Absorber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 M3

Gill,

Thanks again for your help making my order even better. Awesome customer service!
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 09:51 AM   #15
N47_Drei
I plan your cities
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328d

hey Gill i think i might to the 18 inch elbrus ill put your info down, I am gonna order them thur my dealer since i worked and still have a good relationship with them... so if u see a order coming in from Yark BMW of Toledo thats me
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #16
mpukas
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill@Tirerack.com View Post
** The LM60 is Bridgestone's newest performance winter tire (replacing the LM22/25.) It will be neck and neck with the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D for the best in class.

Cheers,
Gill
Hey Gill - how does the LM-60 RFT compare to the Dunlop Sp Winter Sport 3D? Is the LM-60 run-flat as good as the LM-60 non-run-flat? Looks like the RFT version adds about 4lbs per tire, making them 2-4lbs heavier than the stock Bridgstone RFT's depending on size. Also, how does the LM-60 RFT compare to the Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero RFT - the Pirelli is about 4lbs lighter (weight is certainly not a deal breaker if a tire is really good)... Thanks Gill! mpp
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #17
MonacoJoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5M - Carbon Blk

Hi Gill - last year i bought four dunlop 3D sp winter tires 225-40-18 and put them on the OEM 135i rims. this year i would like to buy separate rims for my car for that same set of winter tires. what size should i get and do you have any model recommendations? I am looking to keep the price around $1000 for set of rims. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #18
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
Hey Gill - how does the LM-60 RFT compare to the Dunlop Sp Winter Sport 3D? Is the LM-60 run-flat as good as the LM-60 non-run-flat? Looks like the RFT version adds about 4lbs per tire, making them 2-4lbs heavier than the stock Bridgstone RFT's depending on size. Also, how does the LM-60 RFT compare to the Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero RFT - the Pirelli is about 4lbs lighter (weight is certainly not a deal breaker if a tire is really good)... Thanks Gill! mpp
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoJoe View Post
Hi Gill - last year i bought four dunlop 3D sp winter tires 225-40-18 and put them on the OEM 135i rims. this year i would like to buy separate rims for my car for that same set of winter tires. what size should i get and do you have any model recommendations? I am looking to keep the price around $1000 for set of rims. thanks!
Give me a call when you have time, guys. Lots of different roads the answers to these questions can lead us down....

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #19
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep

Folks, we are running very short on the centering rings for all the Elbrus wheels. If you're thinking an Elbrus wheel is in your future, and are going to need the product before the next batch of centering rings gets here in mid to late November, please order quickly.

Just giving you a heads up before they are gone for a month or more.

I'll be surprised if they last through today.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #20
jwardell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i, JCWMCS

GLad my centering rings just came in today, then!

All I could think of was the shower curtain earrings from planes, trains, and automobiles...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2009, 10:45 PM   #21
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Still no love for my Pirellis is see

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #22
AtomiK
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Around

Gill, I just ordered 4 LM25s from you. Tirerack definitely made it quick and easy. Thanks.
Appreciate 0