BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-31-2010, 09:07 AM   #23
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
You are right on, think of the M drive button like power seat memory (from what I have heard), turn the options you want on hold the M button for a few seconds and the next time you press it it recalls those settings.

-M
Thanks M. BMW went that route for the M3 GTS due to the lack of any car information system (no BC, no iDrive), so it makes sense perfectly.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #24
jpuff
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

Glad to see the mod deleted my second post in this thread for no reason :\. I said people got on fine before nav and that warranted deletion? But the post replying sarcastically to my original comment about not needing nav was left alone? Sounds like this mod takes issue with my views on the nav system, south.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #25
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Look, I couldn't care less what you think about the nav system as long as you don't attack others. Hence, your latest post is OK, the other wasn't. Send me a PM if you want to continue this discussion.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #26
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
I find Nav to be unnecessary, but I do not fault people for wanting it unless it means I am forced to have it. This is analogous to the stick vs dct debate for me, I do not want DCT and could care less if it is an option so long as things never get to the point of DCT being the only option. If people want to pay thousands for something my Iphone already does that's fine with me, just don't force me to have a cluttered dash and to pay for it as part of the base price when i would prefer to save money and weight and not have it.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #27
auto-rocks
Rep
Drives: 2010 Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
Sure hope the carbon roof is standard. Anyone who options to remove the carbon one for a steel sunroof does not have my respect
If the price drops I would get rid of the CF roof. What is the purpose? save 20 pounds for a grand? Totally not worth it.

Buying time till 1M, hence the 10' civic!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #28
auto-rocks
Rep

I think people are forgetting that this is an "entry level" M car. All I want is a low MSRP an the option to have nav, CF roof, DCT, etc. I only want the "go fast" bits and not the extra stuff that tacks on 10 grand.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #29
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

No nav in the 1M for me. This will be the kind of car you dont mind getting lost driving.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #30
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-rocks View Post
If the price drops I would get rid of the CF roof. What is the purpose? save 20 pounds for a grand? Totally not worth it.
The cool thing about the CF roof is not the 20 pound savings over a steel roof - it means there'll be a way to get a 1er without a damn sunroof. The sunroof makes it impossible for me to fit in the car with a helmet (kills headroom) and it adds 60 pounds over a steel roof (80 pounds over a CF roof).
      09-01-2010, 10:25 PM   #31
jpuff
Private
Rep
Drives: n/a

DCT adds at least 1k onto the MSRP
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #32
auto-rocks
Rep

Quote:
The cool thing about the CF roof is not the 20 pound savings over a steel roof - it means there'll be a way to get a 1er without a damn sunroof. The sunroof makes it impossible for me to fit in the car with a helmet (kills headroom) and it adds 60 pounds over a steel roof (80 pounds over a CF roof).
I get your point about the helmet. but the weight savings is so minimal compared to the cost of a CF roof. I need this car to have a low MSRP or I will not be buying it.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 11:50 PM   #33
grant
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-rocks View Post
I get your point about the helmet. but the weight savings is so minimal compared to the cost of a CF roof. I need this car to have a low MSRP or I will not be buying it.
Yeah, up til now it was impossible to buy a 1-series in the USA without a sunroof - that's why it's such a pet peeve of mine. I like CF, but the best part of it is that it's incompatible with a sunroof. And the 80 pound difference between sunroof and CF roof at the very top of the car is definitely going to be noticeable with regard to handling (and headroom). A 1M with mandatory sunroof is a deal-breaker for me...

Just look at the M3: Almost impossible to find a used E30, E36, or E46 without sunroof or moonroof in the US, but it's easy with E9X, thanks to CF roof...

Last edited by grant; 09-01-2010 at 11:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 12:47 AM   #34
HBspeed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 M3, 00 Z3MC, Boxster Spyder

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah, up til now it was impossible to buy a 1-series in the USA without a sunroof - that's why it's such a pet peeve of mine. I like CF, but the best part of it is that it's incompatible with a sunroof. And the 80 pound difference between sunroof and CF roof at the very top of the car is definitely going to be noticeable with regard to handling (and headroom). A 1M with mandatory sunroof is a deal-breaker for me...

Just look at the M3: Almost impossible to find a used E30, E36, or E46 without sunroof or moonroof in the US, but it's easy with E9X, thanks to CF roof...
Couldn't agree more... Hence my Avatar
Appreciate 0