BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #1255
morningscifi
Null
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
too delivery of mine yesterday. went up in a ball of steam and dumped all the coolant. see my thread in the Ordering section of the forum. at the shop now....*le sigh*

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Now you've got me worried about my upcoming delivery. I have a long drive back.

Anyways, congratulations on at least having a little while with it so far!
2013 135is | Le Mans Blue | #542 / 586
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #1256
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

New BMW Fitted Luggage Compartment Mat

While we await word on IEDEI's car, which hopefully he is driving home as I type this, thought I'd share some truly enthralling pics of my trunk as I put the BMW fitted trunk mat thing in last night. Fits great but has a few areas with pictures of scissors for trimming, and looks like I may have to cut two lil notches out all the way at the back by the trunk latch as there are two lil metal eyelets I need to make room for.

Also throwing in a picture of my netless right cubby. =(

This is all in advance of putting a full size spare in the trunk, but as I get closer and closer to getting the rim put on the spare tire tomorrow, I'm leaning further and further away from doing it except on long road trips. I just learned yesterday that Michelin offers free towing for up to 150 miles, which I didn't know and so they could just tow me to my house to get my spare if not directly to a tire shop, as I don't know if BMW will tow us if we get a flat after ditching the runflats, and AAA surely won't tow you 150 miles. Hmm...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #1257
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
While we await word on IEDEI's car, which hopefully he is driving home as I type this, thought I'd share some truly enthralling pics of my trunk as I put the BMW fitted trunk mat thing in last night. Fits great but has a few areas with pictures of scissors for trimming, and looks like I may have to cut two lil notches out all the way at the back by the trunk latch as there are two lil metal eyelets I need to make room for.
I'm looking for a trunk liner as well, and yours looks like a good one. Fits well, looks like it belongs in the space. Key for me is for the surface to be as grippy as possible. How smooth is your liner?

Quote:
Wow. Not only are you missing the net, but the attaching hardware in the trunk as well. Very strange indeed.

Quote:
This is all in advance of putting a full size spare in the trunk, but as I get closer and closer to getting the rim put on the spare tire tomorrow, I'm leaning further and further away from doing it except on long road trips. I just learned yesterday that Michelin offers free towing for up to 150 miles, which I didn't know and so they could just tow me to my house to get my spare if not directly to a tire shop, as I don't know if BMW will tow us if we get a flat after ditching the runflats, and AAA surely won't tow you 150 miles. Hmm...
I still plan to put one of the removed RFTs on a spare wheel and keep it in the garage. I might throw it in the trunk for the rare long trip (this isn't my long trip car), otherwise keep it in the garage to bridge the gap between flatbed and full repair. I do plan to keep the equivalent of the BMW mobility kit in the trunk.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #1258
edgger
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135is Coupe Space Gray

10 Months Now

2013 135is Coupe/Space Gray/Taupe Brown Leather/6MT/Prem/Tech/Heated Seats/PDC
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #1259
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgger View Post
2013 135is Coupe/Space Gray/Taupe Brown Leather/6MT/Prem/Tech/Heated Seats/PDC
Welcome! Nice ride.

What did you drive previously? How do you feel about the 135is now that you've had it for a little while? Done anything to the car yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #1260
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport View Post
I'm looking for a trunk liner as well, and yours looks like a good one. Fits well, looks like it belongs in the space. Key for me is for the surface to be as grippy as possible. How smooth is your liner?
It looked like the best one I'd seen for the money, though I think bavauto has a more rubbery hex-patterned one, but is more expensive. This one is BMW part #51470433563 and is like $63 from the various forum sponsors. It's hard to explain what the material is cause it's somewhere between a plastic and a rubber. I just went down and looked and felt it some more, and the raised grooved portions appear to be a stickier rubber like compound. I haven't really had anything back there to really see how grippy it is, so will report back after I do some grocery shopping and stuff and see if the tire slides around, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport
Wow. Not only are you missing the net, but the attaching hardware in the trunk as well. Very strange indeed.
Ya, there's just nothing there, so it isn't like someone just forgot to attach the net. That's why I was somewhat reluctant to bring it up and potentially have it addressed as I didn't want them ripping out the trunk lining already and wasn't sure if they would just punch the holes in and put in the hardware that secures the net, or I needed whole new panels altogether. I don't know. Looks like 10% of people's 1-series seem to come this way. The one on the left side does have a lil elastic strap at least. Edit - was just back down at the car and what's interesting is, the trunk mat, which in certain areas has about a 1.5-2" lip on the sides (to prevent/contain spills) looks like it might help keep things in place on the right cubby which may almost solve that problem. Hmm.

Quote:
I still plan to put one of the removed RFTs on a spare wheel and keep it in the garage. I might throw it in the trunk for the rare long trip (this isn't my long trip car), otherwise keep it in the garage to bridge the gap between flatbed and full repair. I do plan to keep the equivalent of the BMW mobility kit in the trunk.
I'm going to play it by ear and see how I feel. I'll take pictures after the full size spare is in the trunk, too this weekend. Right now just the tire is in there, which of course is going to be exactly how much space I lose, but was almost the same price to slap a new tire on an old rim as it was to get some of those mobility kits. I'm leaning towards your approach as well, but my situation is slightly more complicated because I only have limited use of my left hand/wrist from my accident in my LAST 135, so I also have to consider that as I don't think I'll even be able to lift and carry the spare rim and tire, but got the bags with handles and will find out soon enough. Similarly, I don't know that I could effectively use the mobility kits, but think I could manage it. Not sure which side my crippledness will push me towards.

Last edited by gregthegr8; 09-20-2013 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #1261
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Now I can let her rip...
Attached Images

09-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #1262
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

And since y'all like less yappin' and more pictures, here are a couple of my somewhat dirty car on the mean streets of downtown LA, imprisoned and not allowed to roam the open roads while I'm forced to work.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #1263
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
Now I can let her rip...
That was quick! Enjoy!

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #1264
mb135is
Captain
Rep

I've never liked the stock e82 black carpet mats (not with the blue stitching) because they don't have that thicker "BMW" section that most BMW floor mats have. So I took the carpet mats from my step mom's 335d and they basically fit perfectly (slight differences). These are also more gray than black and match the interior carpet better. I'll use these for a while until I get frustrated with them getting dirty quickly, then it'll be back to the BMW rubber mats:
Attached Images

Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #1265
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Another:

Sorry repost
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #1266
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:

BMW roadside will definitely tow you with or without runflats!! the bottom line is that they contract the towing, and the companies don't care at all what kind of wheels you have to be honest!----those contracted companies just wanna make some money!

that trunk liner DOES look pretty cheap.....i had something similar on the A3....like a plastick-y kind of thing right? i'm trying to find something softer and more rubbery but can't seen to find anything. What about weathertech? i wonder if they make something like that.

I am not going to run a spare. Am going to buy an inflation device and a can of goo and keep my AAA card on me as well as my BMW roadside assistance! gonna life on the edge! LOL

but definitely post a photo of the spare in the trunk when you put it in!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #1267
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Drive out to NJ with the wife today to take care of some stuff.....LOVE THIS CAR. It's amazing! The manual gearbox is amazing----maybe one of the best manuals i've driven.....like SILK. My wife laughs at me because i reduce the volume of the stereo every time we pass underneath an overpass so i can hear the exhaust in full! haha

have put 200 miles on the car now. NO MORE coolant issues. Here's hoping for the best! I don't want to be on a flatbed again!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #1268
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
BMW roadside will definitely tow you with or without runflats!! the bottom line is that they contract the towing, and the companies don't care at all what kind of wheels you have to be honest!----those contracted companies just wanna make some money!

that trunk liner DOES look pretty cheap.....i had something similar on the A3....like a plastick-y kind of thing right? i'm trying to find something softer and more rubbery but can't seen to find anything. What about weathertech? i wonder if they make something like that.

I am not going to run a spare. Am going to buy an inflation device and a can of goo and keep my AAA card on me as well as my BMW roadside assistance! gonna life on the edge! LOL

but definitely post a photo of the spare in the trunk when you put it in!
Well, it's good to know that I now have 3 people who can fight to tow me. And I pray I never have to use it.

I wouldn't go as far as to call my beloved trunk mat cheap, but I also thought it was more rubbery when I ordered it and it's some kind of soft, easily bendable plastic or who knows. But it isn't like a hard plastic if that's how it was in your A3. The elevated/ribbed things are more rubbery and I went and ran a ton of errands and got a bunch of groceries and nothing moved around back there on it.

I never really looked into other options cause I wanted OEM BMW part to ensure a good fit and it was $60. I don't think weathertech makes a trunk one for our cars, and here's the one I saw from Bavauto, after I already ordered mine. I never have anything really in my trunk, so it doesn't get dirty or see much use, so I just wanted a basic mat to keep things from sliding around and the wheel from getting my trunk dirty. But this might appeal more to you, though too rich for my blood for my purposes. Crap, that link didn't work, so I'll have to link the picture to their hex mat, though clearly not a 1-series in the photo and costs $95:

http://bavauto.com/lview.asp?imgfile...t-trunkmat.jpg

As for the spare, this morning I had my overkill hankook ventus v12 tire mounted onto a stock front size rim, and it's now sitting inside one of those BMW tire tote bags with a handle and nestled neatly in the back. I'll have to take pictures of it when the car isn't in my garage cause the lighting is so bad, the pictures hardly come out. It at least looks very neat and tidy and I did all my errands afterwards and was able to put all my bags and groceries back there in front of and around the tire. There's just enough space/depth to put a gallon jug of water between the tire and the trunk latch if people want to gauge how much room there is at the shortest point.

I'll post pics of my setup maybe tomorrow. Don't know how often I'll have it back here, but it'll sit there for now.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #1269
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Well, it's good to know that I now have 3 people who can fight to tow me. And I pray I never have to use it.

I wouldn't go as far as to call my beloved trunk mat cheap, but I also thought it was more rubbery when I ordered it and it's some kind of soft, easily bendable plastic or who knows. But it isn't like a hard plastic if that's how it was in your A3. The elevated/ribbed things are more rubbery and I went and ran a ton of errands and got a bunch of groceries and nothing moved around back there on it.
haha! sorry didn't mean to call it cheap....i'll probably get the same one! i agree...just need something to protect. don't need Hermes $5000 mat or anything!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #1270
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
haha! sorry didn't mean to call it cheap....i'll probably get the same one! i agree...just need something to protect. don't need Hermes $5000 mat or anything!
That's okay, me and the mat know it's not cheap, right Matthew? That's his name by the way. hahaha. I don't think there are really many options out there - lot of fabric/carpeted ones, but the rubbery hex one from bavauto looked kinda ugly to me. After what your dealer put you through, you should have them order it for you to see what it's like. Most (nice) dealers will let you do that before you buy it I think. It ain't the best, but I think it may be your best option.

I'm just glad you're out there enjoying your new car, looks amazing, though I cringed at how close you parked to everything. =P That shopping cart by the tree scares me! Then again, I'm betting your wife wouldn't be too happy if you said let's park half a mile away from everyone and walk.

Wish I could drive one in stick to see what it's like and the difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #1271
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Drive out to NJ with the wife today to take care of some stuff.....LOVE THIS CAR. It's amazing! The manual gearbox is amazing----maybe one of the best manuals i've driven.....like SILK. My wife laughs at me because i reduce the volume of the stereo every time we pass underneath an overpass so i can hear the exhaust in full! haha

have put 200 miles on the car now. NO MORE coolant issues. Here's hoping for the best! I don't want to be on a flatbed again!
I'm glad you are loving it! The 6MT is a nice gearbox... not question about it. Sometimes I feel a tinge of regret about getting the DCT instead.

Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #1272
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Quote:

I'm glad you are loving it! The 6MT is a nice gearbox... not question about it. Sometimes I feel a tinge of regret about getting the DCT instead.
I drove a dual clutch gearbox in the A3 for the past 2 years (DSG/S-Tronic) and they really are fantastic. you get this really great race car-like feeling driving them that you just don't get in a manual. Being used to driving manuals though-----I was spending 3 hours a day commuting with left leg basically going numb out of boredom! haha. so I needed more activity and I figured I'd never really owned a BMW manual so might as well.

I think dual clutch gearboxes are definitely THE best way to get power out of a modern car though----and are quite enjoyable in their own way. you will definitely smoke me at a light and you won't be cursing in heavy traffic as I'll be doing sometimes with the thick NYC traffic we sometimes get....but FWIW the manual on this car is pretty wicked!

I've had my TT with a manual for 11 years now and it is much more tiring car to drive in traffic than the 1er is. the manual is good but not nearly as butter smooth as the 1er....never was even when it was newer.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #1273
mb135is
Captain
Rep

Getting ready for v1 hardwire:

Thanks dan!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #1274
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
Getting ready for v1 hardwire:

Thanks dan!!
Nice! I love having my detector hardwired... I went for the Passport Max instead of the V1. I almost got the V1... folks who love their V1s are very enthusiastic!

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #1275
mb135is
Captain
Rep

The v1 is very active. Doesn't filter out nearly as much as my old passport. But I do like the arrows and the interface. Have had a passport for close to 15 years so the v1 will take some getting used to.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #1276
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I drove a dual clutch gearbox in the A3 for the past 2 years (DSG/S-Tronic) and they really are fantastic. you get this really great race car-like feeling driving them that you just don't get in a manual. Being used to driving manuals though-----I was spending 3 hours a day commuting with left leg basically going numb out of boredom! haha. so I needed more activity and I figured I'd never really owned a BMW manual so might as well.

I think dual clutch gearboxes are definitely THE best way to get power out of a modern car though----and are quite enjoyable in their own way. you will definitely smoke me at a light and you won't be cursing in heavy traffic as I'll be doing sometimes with the thick NYC traffic we sometimes get....but FWIW the manual on this car is pretty wicked!

I've had my TT with a manual for 11 years now and it is much more tiring car to drive in traffic than the 1er is. the manual is good but not nearly as butter smooth as the 1er....never was even when it was newer.
All valid points. From time to time I've had some tough bouts with sciatica pain in my left leg that would cause me to leave my manual car at home. I wanted to avoid that situation in my DD going forward. The DCT has certainly been a blast. My boss has a 1M, and he likes to refer to the 6MT as the only proper transmission for a car. Over the decades he's owned everything from 2002tiis to M Roadsters with a few 911-based Porsches on the side, so I'm interested to have him drive my IS and see what he thinks.

Appreciate 0