BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-04-2024, 10:24 AM   #1
the bean
Rep
Drives: 2x bmw 135i, 1x e46 M3

MHDv10 2+ Tune looking for advice to keep going

Greetings- father/son project on our daily driver

I'll do my best to lay out exactly what we have and ask for thoughts and recommendations to continue to enjoy our fantastic little car. Please no judgment, but we love this great value runabout!! and plan to fully enjoy it.

Here we go:

Its a 6-month owned 2008 135is automatic with MODS All done by the previous owner; he originally intended to track the car but decided to go the M3 route.

In the six months since owning, we've just maintained the car and it's run great, but I want to address a CEL that we/he associated with the Catless pipes that we've just been living with.

Besides some sweet suspension upgrades, the Car has:

VRSF 1.75" silicone intlets
VRSF outlets
VRSF 7.5 race intercooler
BMS DCI
VRSF Catless DP
VRSF Charge Pipe w/Tial Blow off Valve
Vader Solitons 1/4" blow off valve adapter
BMS billet PCV valve
BMS catch can
24 row oil cooler wit 10AN lines
RB turbo oil cooler thermostat delete
MHD v10 2+ tune
XHP stage 3 trans tune
NGK step colder plugs
Eldor ignition coils
NTK post CAT o2 sensors

The Goal: Remove the CEL light associated with the Catless DP only. Reason, I want to address any other issue that may come up without incorrectly assuming it's only the Cat Delete. We haven't pushed the car too much as a daily, but would feel better knowing exactly what we have in case other issues come up.

The ASK:
What issues would I run into if I decided to go back to stock and reload the MAPs to where it is supposed to be now?

I DO NOT want to bring on an issue by trying to be diligent, but I need to buy the Super license from MHD to make changes anyway, so here I am.

thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 10:33 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

The tune, or tunes plural for the trans, look to be the only true changes to the car. The rest are of course "changes" but just swaps that should give breathing room for those tunes. I don't see anything in the list that would be an issue with the stock map.

Except perhaps for one, the turbo oil cooler thermostat delete. I've seen it, but if it removed a sensor of any sort then there could be a CEL type issue around it. I'm sure it plays with the aftermarket oil cooler and is OK but just something to consider.

I think the MHD has an option to disregard the CEL for the catless DP, or simply skip checking altogether. Might look into that? Maybe it can be "turned on" or if it's already on, it means something else is up?

I'm not an expert on this, just some thoughts. Others will know more.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 10:55 AM   #3
the bean
Rep

"Except perhaps for one, the turbo oil cooler thermostat delete. I've seen it, but if it removed a sensor of any sort then there could be a CEL type issue around it. I'm sure it plays with the aftermarket oil cooler and is OK but just something to consider."

Make sense- thank you!

Last edited by the bean; 01-04-2024 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: going to edit all together
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 10:57 AM   #4
the bean
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
The tune, or tunes plural for the trans, look to be the only true changes to the car. The rest are of course "changes" but just swaps that should give breathing room for those tunes. I don't see anything in the list that would be an issue with the stock map.

Except perhaps for one, the turbo oil cooler thermostat delete. I've seen it, but if it removed a sensor of any sort then there could be a CEL type issue around it. I'm sure it plays with the aftermarket oil cooler and is OK but just something to consider.

I think the MHD has an option to disregard the CEL for the catless DP, or simply skip checking altogether. Might look into that? Maybe it can be "turned on" or if it's already on, it means something else is up?

I'm not an expert on this, just some thoughts. Others will know more.
Will look into this and post here.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 12:12 PM   #5
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

If you don't have ability to tune the car, all your issues are moot.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 05:21 PM   #6
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

1) buy MHD superlicense for that car it’s modded and should be running a stage 2+ tune (which will disable the CEL for the dp which is your goal)

2) use the MHD adapter and scan for codes. You will see any issues not just the dp code it will give you a full list.

3) look into common maintenance on these cars and just do the big ones right away preventativly IMHO because every car will need water pump, OFHG, Valve cover and gasket, injectors if you are running an old revision, just do the plugs now and have the fcp warranty for life on them anyway, walnut blasting. There is likely more but off the top of my head those are the things that EVERY n54 will need eventually especially at that mileage unless you’ve got good proof something on that list was done, just do it.

4) enjoy one of the best cars ever made once you get through the mountain of stuff it needs to be happy.
Appreciate 0