BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-12-2010, 05:32 AM   #309
arrutled
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Olsa

I believe porsche just did it actually with the latest boxster speedster.

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 06:04 AM   #310
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Really? Too bad thats WAY outta my price range lol.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #311
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Really? Too bad thats WAY outta my price range lol.
Yeah it's the boxster spyder. It doesn't even come with a top. Just some 5 lb piece of fabric that you can strech over the hole in the roof if you need to in emergencies.

It's awesome...but it starts at like 60k or something like that.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #312
oztiks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Gran coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
Dear SCOTT,

I do not know you but you appear to be the M1 authority and even though I have no idea why, I accept it as truth. So, please know that I will buy one of these 135Ms, M1s, 1Ms or whatever the heck it is called - it is meaningless to care - IF I can have most of these:

1) Radio delete
2) A/C delete
3) electric windows and locks delete
4) race seats or something sportier than BMW sport seats with no power
5) cruise control delete

I think you get the picture - I want a 135M or M1 or 1M but only if I can strip it down to a true Tii type option as it will be our third car. That is a lot of talk to simply ask you - will this be possible??? Could I beg the Munich folk in the custom division for this - please? I mean they put Koa wood in a M6 convertible for a guy for goodness sake - YES, I will gladly pay more for the stripped down occasional weekend driver and every now and then track car.
Dear Scott,

I want the opposite of what he wants, and on top of that..I would like it to speak to me like The Bat Mobile or kit car and out handle an M3. Would also be nice if it was quicker than Tiger woods being chased by his wife with a golf club.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 10:22 AM   #313
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Yes, I guess I really want a Boxster Spyder, except that I prefer BMWs; call it a 135 M Spyder Coupe. I know it is antithetical to BMW's constant pursuit of weight gain with gadgets, but a stripped down 135M would be amazing.

Last edited by Vintage; 04-12-2010 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #314
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Yes, I guess I really want a Boxster Spyder, except that I prefer BMWs; call it a 135 M Spyder Coupe. I know it is antithetical to BMW's constant pursuit of weight gain with gadgets, but a stripped down 135M would be amazing.

A car without A/C or a radio in this price range would rot on the lots.

Also, why get rid of cruise control? There's zero weight savings by doing that. The gadgets aren't where the weight gain is coming from, it's the safety equipment, and that's not going anywhere even if you strip the car down. The whole list of things in your earlier post likely wouldn't take more than 100lbs off the car, with most of that coming from the A/C.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #315
spudw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
You have to be realistic here, no manufacture of this caliber will delete such items if their main opposition offer them as standard, after all this isn't a 2 seater trackday special but a full sized 4 seater coupe.
Um, I think by deletes, they mean that the M1 would come with the standard features, but they could be optionally removed in the ordering process, as opposed to after delivery. So, the car would likely be competitive option for option, but if you want it to be a track car, you can order it stripped. That the idea behind 'deletes', I think.
      04-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #316
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
A car without A/C or a radio in this price range would rot on the lots.

Also, why get rid of cruise control? There's zero weight savings by doing that. The gadgets aren't where the weight gain is coming from, it's the safety equipment, and that's not going anywhere even if you strip the car down. The whole list of things in your earlier post likely wouldn't take more than 100lbs off the car, with most of that coming from the A/C.
A good point, but what if deleting the power windows and locks, A/C, stereo with all speakers and related wiring, plus maybe "lighter glass" (is that possible and still meet the safety standards??? and lighter competition/Recaro like seats and forged factory wheels with carbon hood, roof, and trunk brought it down closer to 150 lbs. off? throw in a few suspension mods and WOW - wouldn't the car handle amazingly well? surely the racing like seats, no speakers, and manual windows will also save a ton of weight? Then, compare this to what most of you will order - Navigation, premium sound, electric sport/comfy seats, premium package/auto climate, etc. - a real 135M ordered by most will be a $58k pig when all said and done with options (I am willing to guess the real weight difference could be 200lbs.) - granted, a pig I would love to own as we do own a loaded out Z4 35i (with mods). Besides, in the end I would have a real Tii. And yes, if you built 1,000 of these they would rot on the lot, but what if you built only 1 to 100. Then you would have a real collector's item, that in time would be worth more than any 135M made. I am willing to put $10k (or more if BMW Munich needs it to get started) down now to find out. I bet the only run of 50 or so would sell out in Europe without ever seeing our shores. The only option should be M DCT or Manual. Color would be the same on all as dictated by the recent Tii scheme or M scheme (white with M color trim).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #317
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A good point, but what if deleting the power windows and locks, A/C, stereo with all speakers and related wiring, plus maybe "lighter glass" (is that possible and still meet the safety standards??? and lighter competition/Recaro like seats and forged factory wheels with carbon hood, roof, and trunk brought it down closer to 150 lbs. off? throw in a few suspension mods and WOW - wouldn't the car handle amazingly well? surely the racing like seats, no speakers, and manual windows will also save a ton of weight? Then, compare this to what most of you will order - Navigation, premium sound, electric sport/comfy seats, premium package/auto climate, etc. - a real 135M ordered by most will be a $58k pig when all said and done with options (I am willing to guess the real weight difference could be 200lbs.) - granted, a pig I would love to own as we do own a loaded out Z4 35i (with mods). Besides, in the end I would have a real Tii. And yes, if you built 1,000 of these they would rot on the lot, but what if you built only 1 to 100. Then you would have a real collector's item, that in time would be worth more than any 135M made. I am willing to put $10k (or more if BMW Munich needs it to get started) down now to find out. I bet the only run of 50 or so would sell out in Europe without ever seeing our shores. The only option should be M DCT or Manual. Color would be the same on all as dictated by the recent Tii scheme or M scheme (white with M color trim).

The power locks are another one of those things that just don't add a lot of weight. You're probably talking about 4 or 5 lbs for the entire system. Manual windows would save a few pounds, but it's not going to happen because they're just not going to design and produce a crank system for a few thousand cars. The cost would be obscene when compared to the benefits.

All that other weight saving would certainly be nice, but then you're going to end up with an MSRP that's getting into more serious sports car territory, and you're still working from a platform that's designed with economy in mind instead of $60k performance.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #318
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The power locks are another one of those things that just don't add a lot of weight. You're probably talking about 4 or 5 lbs for the entire system. Manual windows would save a few pounds, but it's not going to happen because they're just not going to design and produce a crank system for a few thousand cars. The cost would be obscene when compared to the benefits.

All that other weight saving would certainly be nice, but then you're going to end up with an MSRP that's getting into more serious sports car territory, and you're still working from a platform that's designed with economy in mind instead of $60k performance.
that makes sense - other than leaving in the locking system as is - what can I delete without it costing an arm and a leg? Surely: A/C, Stereo and speakers, electric seats and add sport/Recaro seats - what else?

Last edited by Vintage; 04-12-2010 at 01:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #319
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
that makes sense - other than leaving in the locking system as is - what can I delete without it costing an arm and a leg?

I think there's certainly some savings to be had with lighter seats, and you can even remove the back seat entirely (there are some people here who've already done that, and IIRC it's good for about 40lbs). A lighter battery is cheap and easy as well. I would imagine they could leave out some of the sound insulation as they've done on the CSL cars in the past. Who knows, maybe we'll see a CSL version in the last year of production that will be on a serious diet, but I wouldn't expect it on the initial model year.

I'm hopeful that BMW will do enough weight reduction on the M1 to at least make up for the additional weight that's going to be added by driveline and brake upgrades, but I'm sceptical that we'll see it get down to 3300lbs. Personally I think the biggest challenge they face with this chassis is getting rid of the understeer. If they can get the balance where it should be, I think the car will handle pretty well even at 3400lbs where we're at right now.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #320
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think there's certainly some savings to be had with lighter seats, and you can even remove the back seat entirely (there are some people here who've already done that, and IIRC it's good for about 40lbs). A lighter battery is cheap and easy as well. I would imagine they could leave out some of the sound insulation as they've done on the CSL cars in the past. Who knows, maybe we'll see a CSL version in the last year of production that will be on a serious diet, but I wouldn't expect it on the initial model year.

I'm hopeful that BMW will do enough weight reduction on the M1 to at least make up for the additional weight that's going to be added by driveline and brake upgrades, but I'm sceptical that we'll see it get down to 3300lbs. Personally I think the biggest challenge they face with this chassis is getting rid of the understeer. If they can get the balance where it should be, I think the car will handle pretty well even at 3400lbs where we're at right now.
Well - I would love a back seat and sound dampening delete to save more weight - no redesign needed there. Maybe a roll-bar "ADD" could be offered too; I know I am just dreaming as I guess in my mind I am picturing a bit too much of a GT2 135Mish kind of car. Okay, back to the simple deletes with a cool Tii paint scheme - I will take one.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE "SUMMARY OF M1 OPTIONAL COSMETIC PERSONALIZATION PROGRAM" as described by Scott26 is still on??? This would be helpful because it is everything I want without the DELETES, which I will start lobbying Munich for me on a custom delete model.

Last edited by Vintage; 04-13-2010 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 04:44 PM   #321
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE "SUMMARY OF M1 OPTIONAL COSMETIC PERSONALIZATION PROGRAM" as described by Scott26 is still on??? This would be helpful because it is everything I want without the DELETES, which I will stary lobbying Munich for me on a custom delete model.
I wish you good luck with your custom delete bookings. If anything works, please share. I would be interested in a custom Z4 M Coupé.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #322
jabwind51
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW 130is, '97 BMW M3/4/5

Quote:

You have some good points, and frankly a CSL would be unreal, but I don't know if BMW wants to get too radical with the E82 weight-reduction platform. We have to remember that the next generation M1 will be going to a 4 cylinder, so I don't have too much experience on what a turbo 4 can crank out hp wise, but it would seem perfect in marketing a much lighter car, with less/similar power, now with a much lighter turbo 4...and we know BMW just loves their marketing...

But basically, the whole "lightness scheme" makes sense for the turbo 4, and certainly not cost effective now...

I would like to optimistically guess that BMW could AND would get the car's weight to about 128i specs--maybe a little more, like 3350...
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #323
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
I HAVE DRIVEN 1ERS WITH MANUAL WINDOWS!

What model was that? Just curious because even the 116i's have auto-windows (yes I lived there to for 13 years)
Matter of fact I rented one back in October and traded back to the rental place for a 3er....
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #324
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
A 116. Not sure on the year though. I tried to use the .DE konfigurator but it seems this year they all have elec windows. You can still get the jist by them actually listing elec windows as a feature. No other market lists it as seperate as we haven't had manual windows for some time. Maybe i'll have to call Sacha at my old dealership. It isn't that important to me to prove it, I have no need to lie.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #325
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL

http://home.mobile.de/home/fahrzeuge...ers-wesel.html

They are 2005 116i's. Fesnter means windows. El Fenster are the models with it, the others are without it. As you can see klima (Climate) , einparkhilfe (hill assist) and el fenster (elec windows) etc were OPTIONS in Germany.

So get your FACTS in check.

Peddle your mis-information to another idiot. Your ignored.
If they're options, then it shouldn't be too hard for you to link to one without them.....now should it?

There's a damn good reason you can't find one on BMW's website. It's because power windows are standard. That link you posted doesn't prove anything other than the fact you're not man enough to admit you opened your mouth when you shouldn't have, and you're wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #326
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...22&hg=51&fg=50

Ok now stop arguing....admit wrongness and all that good stuff.....
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #327
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

hehehe
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #328
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
My man.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 06:58 PM   #329
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...22&hg=51&fg=50

Ok now stop arguing....admit wrongness and all that good stuff.....

Missed the part about it being a coupe...right?

The five door cars pull fleet duty. The same mechanism isn't going to fit a coupe.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...44&hg=51&fg=50

Last edited by jeremyc74; 04-12-2010 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #330
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Well the fact of whether or not its a coupe negates the whole argument. The point I was trying to make was that BMW makes manual an option for some markets. But it has already been said that they will not do it for the U.S. As to whether or not things fit, only BMW knows. It may be something as simple as a longer belt to make it work. After all, all we need is a light switch to have a fog light right?

And I'm gonna man up and apologize for my tone I took earlier. Been up too long.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0