BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-27-2012, 06:09 AM   #1
FOACAD
Airborne!
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW/CR 135i Msport

Dack, I need your never ending knowledge...

Ok, so upon returning from deployment I have promised my wife that she gets the next new car. Currently she drives a 2002 Lincoln LS in the states and she desperately wants an SUV.

We are down to two choices after having her drive a myriad of different SUVs.

2011 or 2012 Mercedes ML350 (whichever one we could get used under 45k, with the options we want, in April when we plan to buy, preferably the 2012 because its is the refresh)

2013 BMW X1 (or 14, not sure when they start taking orders for the next year). Cant decide between xdrive28i and xdrive35i on this one. Either one would be loaded up. 41k for the 28i and 44k for the 35i.

All that aside, Dack, this is where you come in.

I have not been able to find out if BMW offers a tow package for the X1, and am seeing some say that they in fact dont offer one. This is a big deal as the ML350 comes with a tow package and we really want an SUV that can tow, even a small amount, like waverunners or a small trailer etc.

Have you seen anything out there that is from BMW?

The only thing I have found is this....

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/bm...1-towbars.html

I really like the one for 205gbp as it looks to be completely hidden when its not on there.

Help me find a place other than a British site to buy it on? Or anything else similar? Please?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Sorry Im not Dack but why not to look in to X3 for sure it has towing package
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
FOACAD
Airborne!
Rep

Ha, its ok. Its open to anyone that can help. He is just usually a wealth of information.

If we went with an X3 we would not be able to get a new one with the options we want under 45k.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Just curious is ML in the same price range as X1 or it was GL?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

FOACAD - I think you can buy a new MB ML-350 thru Torpedo Military Car sales (in Stuttgart) for under ~$42K. I've seen their ads in Stars & Stripes before. The ML is a much bigger vehicle than a X1 or even an X3.

You can find many places in Germany that sell trailer hitches. Just Google the German word: anhängerkupplung nachrüsten (= trailer coupling & retrofit)

Here is a place...
http://www.kupplung.de/anhaengerkupp...=10030&AHKID=1

In your UK link... those were Westfallia trailer hitches... another big German brand.

BMW NA is selling both the X1 xdrive 28i and the X1 xdrive 35i. I've only been seening the xdrive 35i's on base though. They have been selling for a few months now.

http://www.bavarianmotorcars.com/bmw/x1-28i.php

Btw,,, Bavarian has cash for clunkers right now. Might be time to lay down a deposit so you lock in that deal.

http://www.bavarianmotorcars.com/?gc...Fa5QOgodLRQA2w

http://pentagoncarsales.com/bmw/locations.php

Dack

Correction... MB does not offer the ML over here for MCS since its built in the states. But they do sell the GLK. Here is the price list...
http://www.torpedomilitarysales.com/...price_list.php
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
& tell Bavarian motor cars you want to drive your new car as a Demo. They dont advertise this but they will lop off another 5 percent off the top.

42 big ones.....ouch:bulge
      11-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellthebeans View Post
& tell Bavarian motor cars you want to drive your new car as a Demo. They dont advertise this but they will lop off another 5 percent off the top.

WHAT!?!? How does that work>?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
WHAT!?!? How does that work>?
Well there's different parameters depending on what country ur in but like at the pentagon car sales here in rota Spain when I was ordering my 1er the sales guy had just sold his last demo and asked if I wanted mine to be the new one. Basically they would get to use it as a demo for 4 monts and put about 700 miles on it and I would have gotten another 3 grand off. However I didn't want anyone else driving my car so I didn't choose this option. But I know a guy here that did this for his x1. He usually goes and drives it about once a weekend. But his 4 months of demo time won't be up til jan.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 02:50 AM   #9
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwbreed View Post
Well there's different parameters depending on what country ur in but like at the pentagon car sales here in rota Spain when I was ordering my 1er the sales guy had just sold his last demo and asked if I wanted mine to be the new one. Basically they would get to use it as a demo for 4 monts and put about 700 miles on it and I would have gotten another 3 grand off. However I didn't want anyone else driving my car so I didn't choose this option. But I know a guy here that did this for his x1. He usually goes and drives it about once a weekend. But his 4 months of demo time won't be up til jan.
No...YOU drive your own demonstrator. Not anyone else.
      11-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #10
FOACAD
Airborne!
Rep

Quote:

Meh, 40-45k is what we are planning to spend on a new SUV. I dont think its that bad.

We are putting at least 10k down so that will help with payments. Our only debt is the 135i and my wife makes more than I do, lol.

As for the demo thing, what obligations do you have to take your vehicle to shows and events and such? It sounds like a decent deal but I think we are planning to have the vehicle delivered in the US and not in Germany, so not sure how that would work.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
+1.

No way am I letting someone else drive my new special ordered car! PLUS... you don't know how "they" broke the car in.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #12
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well like I said diff parameters for diff places but that's how it works here. However that's kinda weird tho cuz if only u drive it the dealer gains nothing only looses money which there's usually always something n it for them too. But if that's how they do it even better.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Bmwbreed
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
+1.

No way am I letting someone else drive my new special ordered car! PLUS... you don't know how "they" broke the car in.
Neither would I. That's y I didn't choose that option lol. I don't know what classifies a demo at the dealer there n Germany I was jus saying that's what they do with the demo program here if u choose it to get a discount. My car is sitting safely n the dealers warehouse with 2 miles on it. Just waiting on some paperwork so I can register it. Everything seems to take 10 working days n Spain. I miss Germany where it was lie same day service.
Appreciate 0