Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

07-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
MarcusDubya77
Private First Class
Japan
Rep
Drives: 93 WRX;98 Forrester;05 LGT

1 Series M or 11 Mustang GT??

Which one and why? I ask because these are my two prime candidates when I PCS from Japan in Summer 2011.
      07-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
avsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

two totally different cars
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Hairlesswookiee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsbmw View Post
two totally different cars
Agreed. BMW> Ford. I've owned 3 Fords, and the only one that wasn't a piece of shit was the truck.
      07-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
Do you want to drive a car?

Or do you want just a car to drive?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

I agree with the others in it being two totally different cars. That being said I don't the 1 ///M is even going to be available in the US market then.
      07-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
No brainer for me... The Ford is ugly and would most likely fall to pieces (more so than a 1 anyway :-p). Plus in Australia it would probably be more expensive?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 10:14 PM   #7
MarcusDubya77
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMan77 View Post
I agree with the others in it being two totally different cars. That being said I don't the 1 ///M is even going to be available in the US market then.
Summer 11 is the target release for 1M to the U.S. market. Also, as far as being different, how so?? There have been a multitude of comparisons between the GT and M3. Got it GT has a live axle, but Ford has done a lot to improve the suspension .98 skidpad is pretty good. 1M is our dream lower cost variant of M3 (at least that's what a lot of us perceive it as). So how is it overall different? I know a little something about car dynamics, so lets get into the nitty gritty detail of why. I understand the loyalty base here, same as the Mustang boys who I have also posed a similar question. I am totally unbiased in this matter, and have owned a majority forced induced Subaru's, and will be coming from a 93 WRX MT when I get back. So any feedback is great.
      07-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #8
Hairlesswookiee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 STI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusDubya77 View Post
forced induced Subaru's, and will be coming from a 93 WRX MT when I get back. So any feedback is great.
Are you done with Subaru completely?? I have an '08 STI and this is probably going to be my first and last Subaru I own. I love the car and it's very quick and fun to drive, but the known ringland problems are inexcusable IMO and I won't be giving Subaru any more of my business in the future.
      07-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #9
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

The Mustang is an incredible performance value. People knocking it are ignorant and haven't driven one in a while. That said, it will be a different driving experience. The feel of the Mustang is that of a larger car, and the power delivery of a V8 will be different than the TT I6. The BMW will be a better daily car and quality(sans HPFP?!) should be better. If I had to pick I'd probably take the GT for close to 20k less than the 1M. It simply is a steal at its price point and a great overall package. But drive both...If you feel that the 1M can justify the price then go for it.

My previous car was a supercharged 05 Mustang GT, and while I love my 1er I do miss the brute force of the Stang. To each their own
      07-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #10
MarcusDubya77
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairlesswookiee View Post
Are you done with Subaru completely?? I have an '08 STI and this is probably going to be my first and last Subaru I own. I love the car and it's very quick and fun to drive, but the known ringland problems are inexcusable IMO and I won't be giving Subaru any more of my business in the future.
Was unaware of ringland failures. My 93 WRX is nothing more than a beater that I beat the hell out of. My 05 LGT has been in storage for the last 2 years, but was a hoot to drive. Very sticky car that is awesome. It will be sad to see it go.
      07-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #11
MarcusDubya77
Private First Class
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedTerp View Post
The Mustang is an incredible performance value. People knocking it are ignorant and haven't driven one in a while. That said, it will be a different driving experience. The feel of the Mustang is that of a larger car, and the power delivery of a V8 will be different than the TT I6. The BMW will be a better daily car and quality(sans HPFP?!) should be better. If I had to pick I'd probably take the GT for close to 20k less than the 1M. It simply is a steal at its price point and a great overall package. But drive both...If you feel that the 1M can justify the price then go for it.

My previous car was a supercharged 05 Mustang GT, and while I love my 1er I do miss the brute force of the Stang. To each their own
Now this is what I am looking for. Thanks. Well, I haven't driven either a TTI6 or a V8 (well at least since 99), so I am ignorant on both of those engines. The value factor is actually starting to play a roll, since I went to the ENCS to sign my wife up for the Edge Sport. I read a little more into the Specs and this SYNC thing. not to forget the RTR package which is pretty slick. Also, Fords have improved on their build quality, but there is something about a Bimmer. The whole problem is that I won't get a chance to test drive either before i have to make a decision, since I can only take advantage of military sales while i am still overseas.
      07-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #12
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Summer 11 is the target release for 1M to the U.S. market. Also, as far as being different, how so?? There have been a multitude of comparisons between the GT and M3. Got it GT has a live axle, but Ford has done a lot to improve the suspension .98 skidpad is pretty good. 1M is our dream lower cost variant of M3 (at least that's what a lot of us perceive it as). So how is it overall different? I know a little something about car dynamics, so lets get into the nitty gritty detail of why. I understand the loyalty base here, same as the Mustang boys who I have also posed a similar question. I am totally unbiased in this matter, and have owned a majority forced induced Subaru's, and will be coming from a 93 WRX MT when I get back. So any feedback is great.
Sorry, but the cars are pointed toward two totally different markets. BMW will always remain a "luxury" brand in the US. Their only similarity would be performance wise out of the box. Also, loyalty has nothing to do with my statement as this is my first BMW coming from an '04 STi. As far as the release date is concerned; there is nothing in stone right now. Possibly a "leaked" document putting the release next summer but nothing is conclusive yet.
      07-26-2010, 01:05 AM   #13
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I actually was deciding between a 135i and a 2010 Mustang GT just a few months ago. Not exactly your comparison, but pretty close. I ended up choosing the 135i. Here's some of my observations.

Mustang:

Cons:
Live axle, yes it handles well. The ride is shit. I could feel bumps on a smooth freeway at 70mph. No other car I have ever driven "vibrated" my ass like the mustang did on visibly smooth pavement. Feels very "truckish" Hopefully the 2011 has an IRS.

The car is huge, forward visibility will take some getting used to. Rearward visibility is kinda crap compared to say ... your WRX. It feels very "big." The front end of the car is longer than it looks from the outside, when you drive it you'll see what I mean. Coming from a WRX you're really going to hate the size of this thing.

Back seats are completely worthless for anyone over 4' 0" tall. Trunk space sucks as well.

Build quality was better than previous Ford's I have seen, and the quality of the materials was fantastic, but there are still things you notice. Leather wrapped around something under the dash, but the excess isn't trimmed. Or fabric doesn't completely cover a part its supposed to. All of these are in areas that people don't normally look (in the footwells, bottom of the glovebox, etc..) but I notice them, and it shows the effort put into the details.

Manual is still a 5spd? Really? At 80mph I was averaging 15mpg ... horrid.

It will surely be a rattle box in 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Its a Ford.

Pros:

Love the V8, nothing can replace that. The 2011's 5.0 is sure to be even sweeter.

The sound is intoxicating, the 2010 has a "sound pipe" that pipes engine noise into the cabin. Very cool I thought, hope the 2011 has it.

Sync is awesome, although the Ford boards are lit up with bugs. Fortunately there are Ford Sync Engineers who frequent the boards and actually interact with the community.

"Ambient Lighting" package is cool.

Aftermarket, Aftermarket, Aftermarket!

Glass roof option is useless, but very cool IMO!

Cheap maintenance, and every mechanic in the country can work on it.

BMW 135i
Cons:

You're gambling on whether you will have HPFP problems. Some have them, some don't, but from what I can tell the odds aren't in your favor.

High maintenance costs, however the first 50k miles are free..

Needs premium fuel (not a real big deal)

"Options" are expensive on this car, and just about everything is an option. You can easily put a well optioned 135 past the $40k marker.

Depreciation sucks. May be better on an "M" car though.

Good old fashioned German (over)engineering means everything aftermarket is unnecessarily complicated and retrofitting OEM equipment almost always requires a visit back to the mothership (dealer) for re-coding.

No LSD (this will certainly change in the M)

Pros:

V8-like torque out of a V6, but you can still pull 30mpg on the freeway.

Incredible amount of space for such a small car. Biggest reason I chose it over the Mustang. 4 grown men can fit somewhat comfortably, and there is quite a bit of usable trunk space as well.

Turbos, just like your WRX. Add a tune and you got a 12-sec car.

Ride quality. Tame and comfy on day to day driving but can still carve up corners with enough speed to leave a smile on your face. This could change on the M car though.

BMW name and "prestige." I live in a smaller town and I constantly get people asking me what it is, or just generally eye humping it when I drive through parking lots. People notice Bimmers. Everyone in America has owned a Mustang.

Quiet interior at freeway speeds.

One of the better manual transmissions I've driven.

Last edited by mosx; 07-26-2010 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 04:34 AM   #14
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ford = truck
BMW = car
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 06:23 AM   #15
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
Back seats are completely worthless for anyone over 4' 0" tall. Trunk space sucks as well.
This has been said about the 135i but it's amazing how easily someone can fit in the back seat when their other option is walking or driving their own car.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 06:41 AM   #16
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

OP, you posted a poll asking which to buy on a BMW forum. You're not going to get a fair assessment. Its funny how people are forgetting one car costs $20,000 more than the other.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 06:59 AM   #17
Spartikus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twin-Turbos

This topic is beyond tiring. The only way is to drive them both. The Ford received significant upgrades over the 2010 model. I'm talking suspension, engine, steering, interior bits, etc. There is a reason Ford is doing so well now. FORGET what you drove 2 or three years ago. They're at the top of every initial quality list. This is coming from someone who has owned his fair share of crappy fords.

I'm 50/50 on this whole "Its for different markets mumbo-jumbo." All that means is those with more money would likely be more inclined to get the BMW. Don't forget that many of those with money got there by looking at "value." We're all fascinated by performance cars. The Mustang has performance. As it stands the specs almost mirror a BMW M3. Mustang= 412hp(underrated) 390lbtq, RWD, LSD, 5.0L V8, 3600LB. That is bloody amazing. The car is 30k. Out the box its running 12.7 in the quarter mile and 4.3 to 60mph. The 1M HAS to beat that. That in itself is interesting b/c that would mean it HAS to beat an M3. Once again, you are paying $20,000 more for an 1M more than likely. You are closer to being able to buy two Mustangs.

I really really love BMW for my own personal reasons but nothing really upsets me on here like fanboy talk.
Fanboy: A person who loves something without question.

Last edited by Spartikus; 07-26-2010 at 07:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 08:09 AM   #18
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

Get the 1, do ED, take it to the Nurburgring, and see Europe the way no one else does. I did it with my 335 and plan on doing it again for a 1M or M3 next year. And if you have to buy the car while you are still overseas then sign the papers while you are still there, get a great deal and set up for delivery in Sept. during octoberfest!!

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 08:12 AM   #19
mixxer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335 xi

This Post is pointless! The 1M is not even out yet and 99% of the members here have not driven a new 2011 5.0 mustang.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 08:52 AM   #20
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Why must people start comparisons with a non-existent car? Can we assume it will have a 500hp motor and weigh 2000 pounds and only costs $35k?
      07-26-2010, 09:00 AM   #21
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
I actually was deciding between a 135i and a 2010 Mustang GT just a few months ago. Not exactly your comparison, but pretty close. I ended up choosing the 135i. Here's some of my observations.

Mustang:

Cons:
Live axle, yes it handles well. The ride is shit. I could feel bumps on a smooth freeway at 70mph. No other car I have ever driven "vibrated" my ass like the mustang did on visibly smooth pavement. Feels very "truckish" Hopefully the 2011 has an IRS.

Manual is still a 5spd? Really? At 80mph I was averaging 15mpg ... horrid.

It will surely be a rattle box in 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Its a Ford.
A couple things...The ride on mine was no worse than that of the 1er and its RFT's. The manual on the 5.0 is a 6 speed, and 15mpg at 80mph is a flat out lie. My 05, supercharged, driving on 305/45/18 Drag Radials and a 4.10 rear end could still crank out 22-23 mpg on the highway. Stock it was closer to 27 or so. City mileage on these cars is crap, but the V8's can loaf on the highway.

The last two points are subjective and unsubstantiated.
      07-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #22
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedTerp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartikus View Post
This topic is beyond tiring. The only way is to drive them both. The Ford received significant upgrades over the 2010 model. I'm talking suspension, engine, steering, interior bits, etc. There is a reason Ford is doing so well now. FORGET what you drove 2 or three years ago. They're at the top of every initial quality list. This is coming from someone who has owned his fair share of crappy fords.

I'm 50/50 on this whole "Its for different markets mumbo-jumbo." All that means is those with more money would likely be more inclined to get the BMW. Don't forget that many of those with money got there by looking at "value." We're all fascinated by performance cars. The Mustang has performance. As it stands the specs almost mirror a BMW M3. Mustang= 412hp(underrated) 390lbtq, RWD, LSD, 5.0L V8, 3600LB. That is bloody amazing. The car is 30k. Out the box its running 12.7 in the quarter mile and 4.3 to 60mph. The 1M HAS to beat that. That in itself is interesting b/c that would mean it HAS to beat an M3. Once again, you are paying $20,000 more for an 1M more than likely. You are closer to being able to buy two Mustangs.

I really really love BMW for my own personal reasons but nothing really upsets me on here like fanboy talk.
Fanboy: A person who loves something without question.
It's nice to see there are still some open minded people on the forums. A true enthusiast should definitely be intrigued by the new 5.0 Mustang or any car delivering similar performance for that matter. To discount the Mustang simply because it is a Ford is definitely ignorant.

Quote:
Was unaware of ringland failures. My 93 WRX is nothing more than a beater that I beat the hell out of. My 05 LGT has been in storage for the last 2 years, but was a hoot to drive. Very sticky car that is awesome. It will be sad to see it go.
The 2004-2009 LGT's are great cars. Can the '93 WRX be imported back into the US?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02fireman View Post
Get the 1, do ED, take it to the Nurburgring, and see Europe the way no one else does. I did it with my 335 and plan on doing it again for a 1M or M3 next year. And if you have to buy the car while you are still overseas then sign the papers while you are still there, get a great deal and set up for delivery in Sept. during octoberfest!!
If you do pick the 1, Euro Delivery is the way to go. I can certainly vouch for that.