BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-22-2008, 04:53 PM   #1
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Couple product reviews

Chemical Guys Finishing Pad-

5 out of 5 Stars-:thumbup: This pad is a finishing pad. I used a couple with a flex polisher(speed 3), using Menzerna PO106FF. I had swirled my paint using a new microfiber towel(I failed to wash when new). With this Pad and the 106ff and a medium speed, all swirls were removed on the first pass. This pad is very thick and it worked flawless for me. After use the pad washed clean of all product very easily.

Menzerna PO106FF- 5 out of 5 Stars
This is a must have polish. I am a novice detailer and the results you will achieve using this product are amazing. I have found using this polish with a finishing pad is really all you need to remove all swirls and light scratches from the paint. If you want a little more bite from the product, then step to a slightly more aggressive pad and it will remove many surface imperfections. The gloss and clarity is outstanding and your paint will be ready for sealant or wax of your choice.

Chemical Guys Synthetic Wash Mitt
1 out of 5 Its fully synthetic, and very thick... however, it just doesn't feel right, it has texture that I'm not happy with. Spend the extra couple dollars and get a true sheepskin wash mitt.

Chemical Guys Microfiber wash
3 out of 5 stars Works well with washing microfiber towels but I haven't noticed a differece bewtween ones washed with this VS laundry detergent.

Chemical Guys Extra Chubby towel
3 out of 5 Stars Honestly, just go to Target and get the Vroom large microfiber towel for drying, works just as well and you won't have to pay for shipping:smile:.

Flex Flex XC3401 random orbit buffer
5 out of 5 stars
This is the MUST HAVE buffer. With my recommended pad and polish, a Novice can make there paint look better than most detail shops. Forget about the porter cable buffer, your BMW needs this FLEX!!!

Special recommendation-
My paint was in perfect condition and I washed the car using the new synthetic wash mit. I dried my car with the Chemical guys drying towel with some spray detailer. The towel was brand new out of the package is was shipped in. Well, I destroyed my paint. My paint looked just like it did when I picked it up from the dealership...swirl city!! Lesson learned, WASH your new MICROFIBER towels first!!! And stay away from synthetic wash mitts.........
-
      12-23-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
John, great write up. May I ask, what made you choose PO106ff over 85rd?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Esmallstii
Systematic Chaos
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Thanks for the info JohnL,....Very helpful as usual!
BSM/Coral red/Sp pkg/Cft access/Htd seats/BMW Performance Pedals, Spoiler, & Rotors/18" VMR V710's/Hankook Ventus/Cool Carbon Pads ."The 135i's engine sound is so ferocious and bittersweet, so carnal and wicked, somebody ought to name a heavy-metal band after it: Velvet Chain Saw."
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
Can't go wrong with Donkey Kong!

I tried a product too, to keep the brake dust off my wheels. I won't post my review this time, because it's been raining and I don't think it's a fair evaluation. Next time, next time!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
John, great write up. May I ask, what made you choose PO106ff over 85rd?

I chose the PO106ff (now replaced with FA) becasuse it has a just a touch more cut than the 85rd. I might pick up a bottle of the 85rd and give it a try, however, the new PO106FA has gotten rave reviews and does not dust as much as the FF. :biggrin:
      12-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post
Can't go wrong with Donkey Kong!

I tried a product too, to keep the brake dust off my wheels. I won't post my review this time, because it's been raining and I don't think it's a fair evaluation. Next time, next time!
I've been playing the original Donkey Kong on my computer using an emulator....... Great old school game. Really want to pick up an original coin op machine, but the wife thinks I'm crazy:thumbup:.

Happy Holidays to everyone..........:drinking:
      12-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL135I View Post
I chose the PO106ff (now replaced with FA) becasuse it has a just a touch more cut than the 85rd. I might pick up a bottle of the 85rd and give it a try, however, the new PO106FA has gotten rave reviews and does not dust as much as the FF. :biggrin:
that was my concern, that on the brand new surface, I should go as mild as possible (85rd). I'm shocked that you were able to swirl your paint simply by washing it! Do you lay the blame more on the mitt or the towel? (or both). I've used a California Water Blade since 1999, and have NEVER seen it scratch one vehicle I've used it on. It's nice and soft now from use and works like a charm to dry. I then use microfiber to lightly get the remaining drips.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #8
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
that was my concern, that on the brand new surface, I should go as mild as possible (85rd). I'm shocked that you were able to swirl your paint simply by washing it! Do you lay the blame more on the mitt or the towel? (or both). I've used a California Water Blade since 1999, and have NEVER seen it scratch one vehicle I've used it on. It's nice and soft now from use and works like a charm to dry. I then use microfiber to lightly get the remaining drips.
I'm going to lame the blame more on the towel. I used two brand new microfiber towels from Chemical guys. One I used to dry the car, then I used the next one with my spray detailer. I dryed the car in the shade so no damage was noticable. The next day I was running errands when I caught the swirls in the sunlight. I took the car home and threw my Halogen lights on the paint, paint was heavily swirled/scratched. I'm not taking any chances so those two microfiber just got assigned to Toilet cleaning duties:biggrin:, and the washmits are now dog toys. I'm back to using sheepskin wash mits and my Vroom drying towels and my Leaf Blower(aka air dryer).
      12-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Leaf blower seems like a good idea, I may try it out this year. I'm looking forward to the challenge of keeping a black car clean and swirl free to be honest with you, gonna take a lot of work but the rewards will be great.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Leaf blower seems like a good idea, I may try it out this year. I'm looking forward to the challenge of keeping a black car clean and swirl free to be honest with you, gonna take a lot of work but the rewards will be great.
If you don't have ADD right now, you soon will have it:biggrin: The Jet Black looks fantastic, but will require a lot of time and patience. It will require a Hand only washing regiment, and constant attention. However, if your up to the task, you'll form a relationship with your car your significant other will be jelous of:wub:........ I wish you the best of luck when your car arrives:headbang:.
      12-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #11
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL135I View Post
If you don't have ADD right now, you soon will have it:biggrin: The Jet Black looks fantastic, but will require a lot of time and patience. It will require a Hand only washing regiment, and constant attention. However, if your up to the task, you'll form a relationship with your car your significant other will be jelous of:wub:........ I wish you the best of luck when your car arrives:headbang:.
Thanks! My last car, a 2005 Porsche Boxster, never once saw an automatic car wash in the 3 years I owned it, so I'm used to the hand washing regimen. Granted, it was a burgandy color, not black, but the paint stayed in verrrrrry nice shape.

My wife is great about my relationship with my cars...you should see her close the door when she gets out. She's sooo careful to close it by the weather stripping at the bottom of the window to ensure no finger prints get on it!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

NIIIICEEEE you got a flex!!! that thing is amazing eh?

:thumbup:
      12-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #13
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

I use chemical guys - Citrus car wash and LOVE IT. Highly recommended.
Appreciate 0