BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Need some N54 service advice...

Hey all,

So it's time for my 2nd oil change on my 2010 i35, LOL. It's got 14K miles on it. I have had no fuel pump problems to speak of - car's ran great since I got it.

Well, I called up my stealership and the service guy told me he wants the car for 2 days to do some recalls/work on it.

What he wants to do:
Replace fuel pump (mine's been fine)
Fix the seat-belt tensioner recall
Reprogram the ECU to the latest software

It sounds like he won't do my oil change unless I get this stuff done.
So a couple things I'm concerned about - why swap the HPFP if it ain't broke? Maybe I got a good one? Or is it a ticking time bomb? Will the new one fail?

The ECU reprogram - I've heard horror stories about the new software versions slowing the car down, dropping boost etc. Is this a problem since I have a JB4? (I'm not worried about warranty - the dealer's cool with mods.) What I mean is will I even notice the ptential power drop on the ECU re-flash since I have the JB4 - will the JB4 just add the difference in power back or will I be that much "slower" regardless of the JB4?

Thanks all for any advice.
      02-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I'd take it in and get it all done. I'd rather have a new pump than one of the earlier versions, which imho all eventually fail sooner or later. I've heard people saying the SW update makes less power but if you're tuned, I don't see how it would make a big difference anyway. Go for it. Btw, you should be changing your oil more often too. 14k miles and 2nd change?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post

What he wants to do:

Say Absolutely NO!!! to the above.
Replace fuel pump? If it ain't broke...don't fix it.
Seat belt? High probability that they will scuff interior and or panels will not go back in the same order or rattles may show up.
Reprogram ECU---NO way, its been documented that you gonna give up HP, again if it aint broke dont fix it....
The dealership is looking to make some money from BMW thats all.
I will refuse all this work. I passed doing it to my 135i, and i told the new owner to pass as well...............carry on!
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
I would avoid the ECU update like it was syphilis.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
Say Absolutely NO!!! to the above.
Seat belt? High probability that they will scuff interior and or panels will not go back in the same order or rattles may show up.
My seat belt recall was handled perfectly by my dealer. No scuffs, no rattles, no marks, etc.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublevanosrc View Post
I would avoid the ECU update like it was syphilis.
+2.

Well... recalls do not ever expire. So you could always have it done at some later date/time. Most dealers will want to do all the recalls when your car is in for service(because it is required of them by law). Unless you have to wait on your car while its in for say an oil change - or they simply do not have the time - when you come in. wink wink.

IF I were you I would just change your oil yourself or have an indi shop do it. When and IF your HPFP does fail... you will then have to have all the recall work done.

IF you do take your car in for service/recall work... pull out your piggy tune. Better be safe than sorry.

Dack

PS: My seatbelt recall was replaced without any negative side effects. ie: no scratches or rattles on the rear trim pannels.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

All recalls. I don't think BMW will reimburse the dealer for the oil change unless you get them done.
Just do it. All were done to my car and had no issues whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Hey all,

So it's time for my 2nd oil change on my 2010 i35, LOL. It's got 14K miles on it. I have had no fuel pump problems to speak of - car's ran great since I got it.

Well, I called up my stealership and the service guy told me he wants the car for 2 days to do some recalls/work on it.

What he wants to do:

It sounds like he won't do my oil change unless I get this stuff done.
So a couple things I'm concerned about - why swap the HPFP if it ain't broke? Maybe I got a good one? Or is it a ticking time bomb? Will the new one fail?

The ECU reprogram - I've heard horror stories about the new software versions slowing the car down, dropping boost etc. Is this a problem since I have a JB4? (I'm not worried about warranty - the dealer's cool with mods.) What I mean is will I even notice the ptential power drop on the ECU re-flash since I have the JB4 - will the JB4 just add the difference in power back or will I be that much "slower" regardless of the JB4?

Thanks all for any advice.
Get it done, and tell the SA not to do the software since you've heard of potential performance loss issues.

So far, I haven't seen any "documented" power losses from this software.
People have stated that they experienced a "power loss", I was one of them initially. But, anyone seen a dyno documenting an actual power loss after just the software update? I haven't.
I do have a loss of throttle response since my update, and it sucks, but I've adjusted, and it still sucks. Did I mention that it sucks?

I'm in for service next week. SA doesn't know of any new software, but they'll check and install it if there is.

My HPFP didn't have any issue either, but I wanted to have the latest/newest and more reliable HPFP, so I got the recall done.
If you don't get it done now, then don't come on here when it does go and complain about how dangerous it was when it gave out on the highway when you were doing 200MPH.

Seatbelt? It's a safety issue. Really, you don't want it fixed?
I had mine done.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

i'm on my 2nd replacement of the hpfp and only 30k miles. i'd get it done, too if i were you, or, at least before your warranty is up to be on the safe side.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
i'm on my 2nd replacement of the hpfp and only 30k miles. i'd get it done, too if i were you, or, at least before your warranty is up to be on the safe side.

Warranty on the HPFP on 2008 and 2009's is 10 years or 120K miles. OP's car is a 2009 M.Y.

2010's and up HPFP are only covered until 5 years 50K miles I believe. ?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
BroDoze
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Warranty on the HPFP on 2008 and 2009's is 10 years or 120K miles. OP's car is a 2009 M.Y.

Mine's a MY2010.

Thanks all for the advice... I think, lol. I've gotten quite a range of advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Get it done, and tell the SA not to do the software since you've heard of potential performance loss issues.

So far, I haven't seen any "documented" power losses from this software.
People have stated that they experienced a "power loss", I was one of them initially. But, anyone seen a dyno documenting an actual power loss after just the software update? I haven't.
I do have a loss of throttle response since my update, and it sucks, but I've adjusted, and it still sucks. Did I mention that it sucks?

I'm in for service next week. SA doesn't know of any new software, but they'll check and install it if there is.

My HPFP didn't have any issue either, but I wanted to have the latest/newest and more reliable HPFP, so I got the recall done.
If you don't get it done now, then don't come on here when it does go and complain about how dangerous it was when it gave out on the highway when you were doing 200MPH.

Seatbelt? It's a safety issue. Really, you don't want it fixed?
I had mine done.
So do you have any power mods? They didn't compensate for the lack of throttle response? Ugh, not down to volunteer to make my car slower.
      02-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I have a 2010 and have had all of those recalls done and had my second oil change fairly recently. I noticed absolutely NO difference in power or throttle response. When my HPFP went in June 2010 is when they did the software update and my car actually felt a bit quicker. Since that date, they have repeatedly told me that my car has the most up-to-date software.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
BroDoze
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I have a 2010 and have had all of those recalls done and had my second oil change fairly recently. I noticed absolutely NO difference in power or throttle response. When my HPFP went in June 2010 is when they did the software update and my car actually felt a bit quicker. Since that date, they have repeatedly told me that my car has the most up-to-date software.
Thanks, I think I'm leaning towards them doing it all.
      02-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #14
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
At the end of the day, you don't really have a choice. If the car is in, they are required to do the updates.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
BimmerEnthusiast99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 X5d; '10 335; '09 128

Get it done. My wife's 128 had the seatbelt done. No issues, plus it's a fire-risk/safety fix---I don't like to play the odds in those situations.

I've had the ECU done on my '10 N54 and experienced no noticeable loss of power. And get the new HPFP, consider it preventative maintenance....yours will probably tank sooner or later, meaning more time loss on the shop floor later.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 05:18 PM   #16
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone

Quote:
Mine's a MY2010...
I think its only a matter of time before BMW expands that HPFP warranty for our cars(2010's and newer).
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Mine's a MY2010.

Thanks all for the advice... I think, lol. I've gotten quite a range of advice.

So do you have any power mods? They didn't compensate for the lack of throttle response? Ugh, not down to volunteer to make my car slower.
No mods.
I would venture a guess that unless the software you are using for power mods actually addresses the drive by wire response curve, then a power mod can't do anything to fix a lack of throttle response.
However, the added power may be so much fun that you just don't notice the the throttle response or it's just not that important to you.

Being that you have a 2010, depending on when it was built, it may have come with the same software many of us received as an "update".
Maybe you already have this software and the one the dealer wants to put on is something newer.
Hard to tell when we can't get to the software versions readily and easily.
The software I have, I think it came out in early 2010. I had it installed late April early May. I looked up my post to get the date.

Reading that post again reminded me of my oil temps going up from where they were before the update.
To this day my oil temps are higher than before the update.
If you get the update take note of your average oil temp right now, and then see if your average oil temp goes up after the update.
I'm very interested to see if it's part of the software.

In that post, I too talked about feeling a power loss. But, after a few drives I felt it was more a lack of throttle response than a power loss.
I'd really like to see a dyno before and after the update just to see if there is something.
Hey, you think you can do a dyno run, then get the update, and then dyno again?
That would be awesome of you!

I'm in for service this coming Monday. I'll let you know if there is new software and if so, what it feels like.
It may help you make a decision.

Last edited by RPM90; 02-02-2012 at 07:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #18
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone

I think its only a matter of time before BMW expands that HPFP warranty for our cars(2010's and newer).
I got my letter about the extended HPFP warranty over a year and a half ago...

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #19
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

good to know about the extended warranty for the hpfp. i didn't know about it. i have a feeling the one in my car now will go bad soon again...just a matter of time. *sigh*
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
I got my letter about the extended HPFP warranty over a year and a half ago...
Really? So your car is a 2010 and it has the longer warranty? Or you just got a recall letter. ???
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 06:19 AM   #21
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Really? So your car is a 2010 and it has the longer warranty? Or you just got a recall letter. ???
Extended warranty. My buddy at work has a 2010 335xi and he got his extension letter as well.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #22
Backflush
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

It's a recall due to a defect. Get them done weather or not you have any problems, because one day you will find yourself stranded on the side of the highway in the middle of rush hour traffic. You will also save yourself a lawsuit if one of your passengers get injured from not performing the seat belt recall.
Appreciate 0