BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-08-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M Pure S2

Questions for those on upgraded turbos/high HP & Torque

Hi guys! it's been an exciting 2-3 weeks for the N54 community, as Pure Turbos have just launched their stage 2 turbos for our engines. I had contemplated buying RBs/Vargas/OD etc etc, but after much research, i realised that hybrids are really hard to make due to the balancing of the turbos and thus leading to issues such as smoking, turbo failure etc. I'm definitely getting one the next few days from Pure.

Just would like to know from the 1M owners who upgraded their turbos the following questions:

1. Clutch options. which clutch are you guys running? i'm quite certain that stock can't hold (hell, the stock unit died on me within 3-4 months) i'm currently on the clutchmasters FX350. only complaint i have about the CM is that its grabby, and jerks when engaging. peddle feel is great, like stock. it's quite nice but i m keen to explore other options. I've tried sachs performance as well but pedal is really heavy and durability not v good

2. Any opinions on flywheel is also appreciated. I have 87,000 miles on my 1M and it is definitely time to change my stock dual mass flywheel. should i stick with stock or change to Single mass? I daily drive my car and chatter matters to me, so i want something that feels as close to stock as possible

3. BOV/recirculation system. Which system are you guys running on for upgraded turbos? (Anyone using Tial BOV?)

4. what 100-200 timings are you guys pulling w the 1M?

I would also appreciate any discussion on upgraded turbos etc etc I will post my pure turbos stage 2 journey here as well for reference can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
E30 Racer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M, '09 335i M Sport

Who's doing your tuning?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 06:18 AM   #3
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

To answer your questions as I've over 400rwk but on rb's

It was on a 135i auto but now I have a 1m and slowly converting it into a 400 rwk monster.

The is only 1 clutch option from what i have seen and that is the motive stage 3 with
a single mass fly wheel. Mine arrived just before Christmas and there was no way getting it installed in time.

Its a bit of a biatch to drive but when you get to that power level its the best clutch to get. The dual mass ones tend to give false knocks at this power level.

I use a tial bov for a reason as its heaps better with boost control on lift off and yes I have a turbosmart one too but it tends to over boost a little more than I like.

I still haven't decided on the new turbos for the 1m, Hexons look the goods but the ones I'll be getting are not out yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #4
lightning
First Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 1M Pure S2

Hi Guys I'm gonna revive this thread!

Anyone running on the Pure Turbos yet?

lets get the ball rolling and talk about how we can transmit power down to our wheels!!!
Appreciate 0