BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #1
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

DIY OEM Paint Matched Spray Cans???

I am looking to potentially pick up a few parts (diffuser and front lip) that i dont necessarily want CF, so why spend the money on CF? I have found a few parts that i like the look of, but then comes the issue of painting them.

Has anyone had any luck with paint-matching using aerosol canned paint and getting good results? I wouldnt necessarily be paint matching to the Alpine White, but would like it to match my Jet Black spoiler and Shadowline trim (not a perfect match but close!).

Any brand suggestions? Is it even worth it? Should i just spend the $X00 to get them all done the same color at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Yes. I did this with my 370z when paint-matching my headlights.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

You can order aerosol cans by your paint code.

Understand that proper application is the most important. Multiple light layers is recommended over a couple of heavy layers. This gives you more uniform distribution of paint and also prevents runs. A tool like this can help:

http://www.amazon.com/Can-Gun1-2012-...nt+can+sprayer

If your car is a dark color, I think you can get away with it. The lighter the paint, the more prone it is to showing painting imperfections. By the time you finish with it, you may have wished you took it to a body shop and had them spray it for 100-150 bucks.
Appreciate 0